PDA

View Full Version : tapping sycamore trees

maplefarmer
09-16-2010, 09:06 PM
i have read can tap syc. trees, does anyone have any advice or tips on that

PATheron
09-21-2010, 04:54 AM
maplefarmer- I was just reading about that too. It said that the sap is 1 to 3%. We have a lot of them along the water edge in town. Be interesting to hear if anyone has ever done it. Must be the sycamore is part of the maple family? Theron

Cardigan99
09-21-2010, 08:24 AM
"looks more... like a Sycamore...... to me"

Yogi Bear

C.Wilcox
09-21-2010, 09:03 AM
Maples and sycamores are actually very different botanically speaking, but I wouldn't let that stop you from trying it. I don't have any personal experience tapping sycamores so all I would say is just try it and see what happens. Personally, I would start tapping about the same time that people tap maples in your area, but I'd only tap a couple trees to see if they run at the same time. They may actually run later than maples and you don't want to have all your taps in if nothing is happening. Add a couple each week until you start to see some action and then go for it. The question I have is whether the sap is like maple sap or if it's like birch sap (sucrose or fructose)? Maybe give a local university a call and see if the Botany Dept. can give you some thoughts on it?

Acer
09-21-2010, 09:30 AM
You can only tap one 'cause you get sick a more.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thad Blaisdell
09-21-2010, 05:09 PM
Now that was pretty darn funny'a'more

PATheron
09-21-2010, 06:05 PM
You guys are nuts. Id try it if I had more time. Wasting to much time at work. I wonder if it would taste different.

Thad Blaisdell
09-21-2010, 06:44 PM
Throw a few buckets on some and boil it on the stove. That would tell you whether or not you wanted to do any more.

brookledge
09-23-2010, 10:37 PM
Well to keep the jokes going if you did that you would get sick-a- syrup. and quite frankly I don't think I will ever get sick of Maple Syrup
Keith