PDA

View Full Version : Tapping 2011

batsofbedlam
09-15-2010, 02:16 PM
Me thinks that unless this winter is a really cold and long one, I will consider tapping on January 15, 2010. 40 miles from the ocean means a lot of marine influence.

ctjim
09-17-2010, 08:09 AM
i was also thinking of tapping earlier, and i'm not far from the ocean or you bats.i normally tap around presidents day but if this yr isn't very cold i may try tapping the 2nd or 3rd week of jan. i think there are also alot of "micro" climates in ct and that may have alot of influence on when to tap. by the way by any chance do you know of anyone in the general lebanon/windham/mansfield area that may have a bush they would want to lease. good luck this upcoming season,jim

batsofbedlam
09-17-2010, 01:06 PM
I can put the word out for a sugarbush in this area. I'm just taking on a new 700 tap sugarbush myself.

ctjim
09-17-2010, 05:46 PM
thanks bats, i meant to ask this earlier but i forgot, you wouldn't happen to know who owns that old sugar house right down the st. from mansfield hollow boat launch? i always pass by there and doesn't look like anyone taps the trees right nextto it or uses it any .

Revi
09-19-2010, 05:21 PM
Nice sugar shack CTJIM!

Isn't this thread a little early?

Are you tapping already in Connecticut?

ctjim
09-21-2010, 11:58 AM
no tapping in ct yet. thanks revi the shack was actually built by my cousin he's on this site as well. since we're stuck tapping almost all reds its easier for us to combine sap and boil together and share in the work. i'm hoping to build my own soon.

Revi
10-04-2010, 07:55 PM
I own the shack we have with a friend. It's on it's own 20 acre lot. I think it's great to do sugaring with a friend, because it's a lot of work and it's great to have somebody else to share it with.

Sugaring is an outdoor adventure, but you don't have to leave your town to do it.