PDA

View Full Version : how much sap.

VT maple maker
09-15-2010, 02:20 AM
Looking at buying a sugarbush and getting bigger. I would like to know from those of you that use vacuum systems, an apporximate number of gallons of sap I could expect to pull with vacuum from 2000 taps. I know the numbers may very from operation to operation but a ballpark figure would be good. I'm running numbers to find out if I can make enough syrup each year to justify the purchase of the sugarbush. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thad Blaisdell
09-15-2010, 05:49 AM
Vt maple maker, Orange vt heck we are neighbors, I am located just out of the circular in East Barre, and yes you can make money on 2000 taps if it is the right bush. If you spend the money on high vacuum and set up your lines correctly you can expect to make 1000 gallons of syrup your first year. It is not cheap to do this and you will not repay in the first year but eventually you will make money, also depends on the price of the land and how close it is. Give me a shout back and I would gladly come and take a look at it and give you suggestions on what you could do. 249-0878

VT maple maker
09-15-2010, 06:11 AM
Believe it or not you already know who I am. I use to work with you and I stopped up last fall while you were still building your sugar house and putting tubbing in. Im the guy who was leaving for Afghanistan. Im actually still here for the time being but Ive got an angle on a sugar bush locally that if the conditions are right I would like to purchase. I have to be able to justify the buy though. I know there is no way I will pay back the equipment and land right off and thats fine. I just want to make sure that I can make enough syrup each season to pay for the land and equipment without having to take it out of my regular paycheck. Id like to come up and see your sugar house finished sometime after I get back, I always enjoy seeing how others are doing it.

Thad Blaisdell
09-15-2010, 11:05 AM
For sure give a shout you are more than welcome to stop in and see it. How much are they asking, and how many acres? Also another consideration is how close to a road and is there a decent spot to have a station or even maybe a spot to build a new sugarhouse? Alot of things to consider when buying something of this nature.

Hope all is well for you over there. When do you get back from your tour?