PDA

View Full Version : New Arch

nymapleguy607
09-14-2010, 05:57 PM
Okay guys here is my dilema, I am thinking about starting work on a new arch for the coming season. My current arch is begining to rust out and doesn't hold very much wood. It is currently running with forced air under the crates and I have high pressure air above the fire. For my new arch I will be squaring up the sides of the arch an also making it taller I want to make the fire box approximatley 24" wide 30" tall and 36" deep. ( my evaporator is a 2x6) Does anybody think this will be to deep? I plan on making a straight back instaed of a ramp. Also should I change the underfire air to high pressure? Sorry for the long post but I have been beating this around in my head for a while and need to get other peoples opinions.
Thanks
Jeff

brookledge
09-14-2010, 09:18 PM
Do you have anyone in your area that you can look at theirs? Or look at a dealers/manufactuers. Any ways I wouldn't go any more than 30"high
Looking at new ones would help you a lot so that you can rebuild yours
Good luck
Keith

C.Wilcox
09-15-2010, 07:40 AM
Check out the thread link below and look at the picture of the evaporator built by RileySugarbush. I think it looks pretty much like what you're describing and it sounds like he's had good success with it.

http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?t=6351&page=2&highlight=rileysugarbush

3rdgen.maple
09-15-2010, 09:04 AM
What type pans are you using? Drop flue, raised fle, or a flat an setup. If its a flue pan you are going to want the ramp to get the heat up in the flues. Also you dont want the firebox so deep that you have a chance of hitting the flues with wood causing damage. The best way in my opinion to get more wood space is to angle the firebox so its wider at the bottom.

nymapleguy607
09-15-2010, 04:50 PM
My flue pan is a raised flue. My idea behind no ramp is to make the gap below the flue pan very small maybe 1/2" clearance between the bottom of the flues and the brick, as well as give me a larger area for air and unburnt gases to mix. I am roughly basing this off the commercial high efficentcy arches, the ones I have seen run a no ramp setup. Thanks for the suggestions keep them coming.
Jeff

3rdgen.maple
09-15-2010, 09:01 PM
Ok I guess I inturpreted your post wrong. I was picturing an arch with no ramp and the bottom of the arch was as low as the firebox from front to back. Sorry bout that.

C.Wilcox
09-16-2010, 07:32 AM
There was a thread this past spring where a member built a high efficiency, high pressure over fire air, airtight arch. He was using a raised flue pan as well and it looks like his arch did not have a ramp. Here's a couple of photos from the project.

nymapleguy607
09-16-2010, 07:52 PM
There was a thread this past spring where a member built a high efficiency, high pressure over fire air, airtight arch. He was using a raised flue pan as well and it looks like his arch did not have a ramp. Here's a couple of photos from the project.

Thanks for he pictures they are exactly what I had in mind. Do you have any idea who built this or what size the arch was? From the look of it he has very little space between the back of the firbox to were the exit ramp starts.
Thanks
Jeff

C.Wilcox
09-16-2010, 08:53 PM
I searched, but couldn't find the thread. I believe it was from Jan-Feb of this past spring and the member was from here in WI. Here's a better shot of the exit ramp area.