PDA

View Full Version : air tight fronts

John Burton
04-04-2005, 07:02 PM
Yesterday while boiling down my last. I noticed my arch front has two cracks (where they all crack) above the doors.I guess I am going to have to replace it this off season. I am entertaing the thought of building an air tight front. has anyone here done it? any insight would be appreciated.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-04-2005, 07:06 PM
John,

Definitely a worth while investment but one thing I would say is that you probably could boil with the one you have for many more years with the cracks. One thing you will notice as the arch front gets hot, it will expand and you can't see the cracks. You could insulate the front you have now and it would do a good job if you didn't want to build a front.

Either way, if you build one or buy it, it is awesome and definitely worth the money! :D

WF MASON
04-05-2005, 05:03 AM
John , make a drawing of what you want , a 'V' front or a flat sided front , and take it to one of thoes fab shops over in Concord , they'll burn out the bolt holes , door opening , draft opening,and door(single) , form it all , you'll just have to make the handle and hinges on the door and draft. Unbolt the cast front and slap the new one on. Line door with three layers of ceramic blanket. A good summer project.