PDA

View Full Version : Galvanized drums

brookledge
09-11-2010, 03:11 PM
With the up coming ban on galv. storage containers in VT do you think there will be a lot of them used in other states? As other states follow suit I wouldn't want to be the last one holding them.
It is surely going to be expensive to replace them.
Keith

jasonl6
09-11-2010, 03:46 PM
Just read about it in maple new this weekend. I was wondering the same thing. My dealer supplies me ss drums if i sell him back the syrup at his syrup sale. As for keeping some on hand for myself i use food grade plastic 5 gallon drums.

If the galvanized are not good enough for vermont then they probably shouldn't be used anywhere. I'm sure it will be an issue if somone wanted to sell bulk syrup to a major retailer that was not stored in food grade.

Jason

802maple
09-11-2010, 08:40 PM
Actually in Vermont they will be not be able to be used for sale in the galvanized barrel but will be able to be used for your own storage.

brookledge
09-12-2010, 01:07 PM
That doesn't make sense to me. A producer can store it in galv. for an indefinate time and then transfer it to SS and sell it bring back the SS, refill it and sell again.
Keith

Bucket Head
09-12-2010, 08:57 PM
That's a good point. I'm sure the "powers that be" did'nt think of that senario. Or maybe they plan on "catching" that when they (and other states) implement mandatory sugarhouse licensing and inspections...

Don't get me wrong, I do think doing away with the galv. barrels is a good idea. I think Vermont wants them all gone, but it will be years and years before that happens.

Steve