PDA

View Full Version : All Natural Syrup

Mike Van
09-09-2010, 04:40 PM
This from yahoo.com http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100909/ap_on_bi_ge/us_maple_syrup_flap

Ausable
09-09-2010, 06:37 PM
Mike - I just read the article. Pure Maple Syrup should be just that (PURE).
Recently - I had some so called Honey ---Should have been called Artifical Honey as it was horrible stuff and no way was even close to the real thing. The USA - has got to get back to truth in labeling on food products as well as showing country of origin. My old home town - Bay City, Michigan - still has a company that makes Old Fashioned Peanut Butter 100% pure and I love the stuff----- It is so pure it sticks to the roof of your mouth. If you like Imitation Peanut Butter --- Buy the Name-Brand Junk -- has so much lard in it -- it barely sticks to bread - let alone the roof of your mouth. Anyway - I guess I'm rambling - but - I like the good stuff - like Chocolate with NO parafin wax ---- etc. etc. ------ Mike in Northern Michigan

Cardigan99
09-09-2010, 06:38 PM
I saw that today.. Here's the way they get around it. The label does not say "maple syrup". It says "All Natural Syrup". I know here in New Hampshire nothing can have the words 'maple syrup' on the label unless it is actually pure maple syrup.

(Title XL, Chapter 429, Section 429.13, part XII)

red maples
09-10-2010, 08:17 AM
there is a hole thing on thing on the other thread there. bought some maple candy in maine last year. said maple candy didn't see the smaller word "blended" in there 'til I got home. OH well !!! buyer be where !!!and bad thing was It was the same price and it was right next to the pure maple candy.

Clan Delaney
01-12-2011, 10:40 PM
I keep a bottle of it on the fridge, and soon in the shack, to remind me what we're up against.

Clan Delaney
01-15-2011, 10:56 AM
I keep a bottle of it on the fridge, and soon in the shack, to remind me what we're up against.

...and last night I began a manifesto against this abomination (http://ow.ly/3Ehn1).

nas
01-15-2011, 12:04 PM
Love it Clan.
Well done.

Nick

Clan Delaney
01-15-2011, 12:14 PM
Love it Clan.
Well done.

Nick

Oh, I'm not done. There will be more. :evil:

nas
01-16-2011, 12:42 PM
I look forward to it:)

Nick

Mike Van
01-17-2011, 04:48 AM
Way to go Patrick!

Dennis H.
01-17-2011, 06:55 AM
Hey Clan I just thumbed thru the Nov/Dec issue of Maple News and if I read it correctly The parent company that produces the "all Natural" stuff has agreed to remove that wording from the packaging.

Take a look. I might have missed read it but I think I am correct.

Anyway I love the website.

maplwrks
01-17-2011, 07:13 AM
You are correct Dennis....Did you here that VT. does want McDonalds selling their maple oatmeal in the state unless it has real maple in it??

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-17-2011, 08:09 PM
In the Nov & Dec 2010 issue of the Maple News there are a couple of good photos of our Administrator mapleman3(Jim Desjardins) for those who don't know him.

maplwrks
01-21-2011, 05:19 AM
Vt. pulled one out again----McDonalds can not sell their maple oatmeal in the statr of Vermont unless it has Real Vt. Maple in it. McDonalds has conceded, and will offer Real Vt. Maple in all oatmeal sold in the State of Vermont.

Clan Delaney
01-21-2011, 10:38 AM
Hey Clan I just thumbed thru the Nov/Dec issue of Maple News and if I read it correctly The parent company that produces the "all Natural" stuff has agreed to remove that wording from the packaging.

Take a look. I might have missed read it but I think I am correct.

Anyway I love the website.

I'll have to look into that. I haven't seen anything about them changing the labeling, but they did agree to actually remove the caramel coloring. That's an empty gesture really, since the consumer can't see what the syrup looks like inside the bottle that's masquerading as one of ours.

I just posted round number two (http://occasionalcreekmaple.wordpress.com/2011/01/21/the-enemy-part-two-one-of-these-things-is-not-like-the-other/) in my... expose.... of Log Cabin All Natural Syrup. (Gods I hate having to type that).

3rdgen.maple
01-21-2011, 11:21 AM
I seen at BJ's they bought and have on display skids of the of the "All Natural" skunk syrup in their store. 8 bucks a quart. Wonder if they would frown if I snuck a sign in that read if you want 100% pure natural syrup and not this skunk juice call ***-**** lol. Sad thing is my very own brother who helps me once in awhile bought one cause he ran out of syrup. Said it was the worst tasting syrup he ever put in his mouth. Labeling still said all natural on it and it was still caramel colored. This was just a few days ago.

buck3m
01-21-2011, 11:51 AM
here in the store in Fairbanks. I had actually made a town run to drop off some syrup with a lady who has been a good customer. I stopped at the grocery store and took a look at the maple syrup section to reassure myself again that both my customer and myself were getting a fair price. I got a surprise for a moment when I saw the all natural stuff for way less than the real maple syrup. Obviously intended to fool the customer. Same jug, sitting right next to "100% pure." There is absolutely no doubt this will cut into sales of the genuine syrup.

People paying attention aren't being fooled. http://voodookitchennet.blogspot.com/2010/10/log-cabins-all-natural-syrup.html

I had to laugh at this quote from a different site: "Log Cabin has been making authentic, maple tasting syrup for over 120 years."

MilesTeg
01-21-2011, 12:27 PM
If what 3rdgen is saying is true that it has a horrible flavor then I am worried that this might not just hurt current sales but future sales too. If some unknowing customer wants to try maple syrup for the fist time and pics this up and tries this instead he will not only never buy syrup again but also run our name I'm the dirt too, to his friends. I just view this as a multi level threat.

Dennis H.
01-21-2011, 05:16 PM
Ok here is a thought I have.
I know some food producers pay a premium for placement in stores but how many stock clerks at stores that are not receiving money for placement are unknowingly placing it right next to maple syrup because they think it is the real stuff??

And I agree 100% with the previous coment that how will it effect our sales once someone tastes their junk and then sees our jugs that are the same shape as theirs and says that if that is how "MAPLE SYRUP" tastes, forget-about-it!!

Maybe this is the whole reason why they made the "ALL NATURAL" junk in the 1st place. Make it look like maple syrup but taste real bad so people who try it and hate won't buy it or our REAL maple syrup any more and goes back and buys their table syrup..

wdchuck
01-21-2011, 06:16 PM
2 points about this product that really piss me off: First of course is the obvious rip-off of our traditional container. By inference alone, they are trying to equate this with the real thing. Secondly, has anyone else compared the price of this stuff by volume with other size containers of the fake stuff? You should, and I think you'd see that it costs quite a bit more than all the other fake stuff. Therefore, I'd assume their profits are proportionately higher (obscenely so). And yet their price is incredibly competitive with that of the real thing! Ya think the price will come down to be more in line with the rest of the fake? Doubtful! Do we really need any more evidence to see that this product is designed to be in direct competition with our product?...........As an aside, I've carried jugs of this stuff right into 2 supermarket managers offices and explained to them that it was not the real product and really shouldnt be on the shelf right next to the real stuff- they were quite apologetic and said they'd put it out with the rest of the fake.......mission accomplished, now the higher priced "all natural" is competing on price at a huge disadvantage with the rest of its artificial brethren!........mission accomplished, in 2 stores anyway.......

eschoon
01-21-2011, 07:46 PM
Just a note to agree with the feelings toward the "Log Cabin" stuff. The only point of disagreement I would have with the discussion to this point is that this is not the only syrup that is packaged in jugs like we use for our pure maple syrup. I have seen sorghum syrup packaged in the same jugs and the jugs were made by Sugarhill as well. BUT- the jug was clearly labeled as Sorghum Syrup. I saw it at a natural foods store and it was on the shelf by the maple syrup.

Maple/Cherry
01-22-2011, 06:20 PM
Ausable, was that St Laurent peanut butter. I haven't seen that stuff in years.

Browns Maple
01-22-2011, 11:36 PM
I work for Coca-Cola so I am in the chain grocery stores every day. I asked a couple of the managers as to why the log cabin is next to the real maple syrup. The response I got was they put all the syrup together to make it easier for the consumer. Not sure how it is else where but honey is in the same eight foot shelving run. Now that I think about it, all the condiments are in the same aisle. Unfortunately there is no way around it for the area around me because they're all grouped together regardless of being maple syrup or flavored corn syrup.

Haynes Forest Products
01-23-2011, 09:15 AM
So you walk into a store to by Beer and you grab what looks like Beer and its 3.2% or its totaly non alcohol and its in the same brown bottle with crown cap and label right next to my beloved Coors Light............:mad::mad: NOW thats outrageous.......NEVER send your kids in to buy you beer until they can read.:o

802maple
01-23-2011, 10:49 AM
I know I am going to get some people real upset with me and the angle I am going submit in following.

First it is getting treated like it is a totally new syrup when actually they have been making their version of syrup for years, just now they have it in a new container. No question they are trying to break into our marketing with a jug made similar to our own.. Now we complain about the all natural syrup label on the jug, and to a certain extent we are right, but complaining about it could open up a can of worms that we are not ready open. We would like to say our beloved syrup is all natural also, but by pure definition of the word we are not either. The sap that flows from the tree is natural, but our end product is a processed product much like their product is, although we don't have the preservatives and artificial collors added. I by no means agree with them using a similar jug to ours.

After being in sales for years I have discovered that the best way to sell a product is not to complain about the competition, but tell the customer why he or she should not be looking any further for a product then the one that is right in front of them and then prove it to them.

I remember the years of the huge surplus of syrup in Canada and all we could do was run down their product and make it known that it was up there. Well guess what, that was the best advertising that they ever got north of the border and they didn't have to pay a nickel for it. Some of my customers got into vans and literally went up and bought their syrup cheaper then I could sell it to them. Before this customers would come in and ask what kind of year I had and I would tell them, but after that they asked me how Canada was doing. Now I am a stubborn SOB but it didn't take very long that I found, I better shut up about the neighbors to the north if I wanted to stay in this business.

Should we try to eliminate this problem, most definately, but keep a eye to the sky.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-23-2011, 01:32 PM
Jerry,

I agree with you 100%. No need in drawing attention to consumers unless they bring it up.

Amber Gold
02-02-2011, 01:22 PM
Does anyone know the percentage (if any) of the other table syrups? Aunt Jemima's, Vermont, Maid, Mrs. Butterworth's, and etc.

Jim Brown
02-02-2011, 02:12 PM
If I was to have to guess the number would be "0"

Jim

DrTimPerkins
02-02-2011, 02:51 PM
Does anyone know the percentage (if any) of the other table syrups? Aunt Jemima's, Vermont, Maid, Mrs. Butterworth's, and etc.

It varies. Most have from 0-2%. If it says "maple syrup" on the ingredients, it has to have at least 2%. Most don't go any higher than that. If it doesn't say "maple" anywhere on it, most likely it is 0%. There are a few odd-balls that have 3%, 4% (the new Log Cabin "All Natural" syrup), and one (Maple-Rich...which is pretty rare) has 10%.

The bad thing is that the majority of consumers don't know the difference between table syrups (mostly corn syrup+flavor+thickeners+preservatives) and pure maple syrup. The Vermont maple industry did a large phone survey in many different spots around the country about a decade ago. First question was, "Do you use pure maple syrup?" If they answered "yes", they were asked to go to the fridge and get the container and give the name. Over half of those answering "yes", had Aunt Jemima, Mrs. Butterworth, Vermont Maid, etc.

Dill
02-02-2011, 02:58 PM
A couple comments I have on the whole issue in no particular order. 1. Yes the packaging is deliberate. That means the Maple industry is doing a good job branding our product. 2. I agree with the person who was worried if people don't like the taste of the rice syrup they might correlate that to what real maple tastes like which.. 3. There are an alarming number of young people who have never had real maple, even in New England. The one good thing about that is they are looking for a dark intense flavor. Remember these table syrups are all sugar, this is why our grade B and darker market is so good now. And 4. This is why the new grading system is going to be good. The current one confuses and intimidates new buyers. It makes no sense. The industry might be used to it, but most consumers aren't, so if we are trying to open new markets and expand existing ones the new grading is a must.

Clan Delaney
02-02-2011, 03:11 PM
Aunt Jemima (http://www.auntjemima.com/aj_products/syrups/orginal.cfm) - none listed. Love me some Sodium Hexametaphosphate on my breakfast, though.

Vermont Maid (http://www.zeer.com/Food-Products/Vermont-Maid-Syrup/000016287) - none listed. To paraphrase one of my favorite Simpsons exchanges: "The syrup contains sodium benzoate!" "That's good!" "No, that's bad."

Mrs. Butterworths (http://www.dietfacts.com/html/nutrition-facts/mrs-butter-worths-original-syrup-thick-and-rich-bottled-42393.htm) - none listed.

Log Cabin (http://www.zeer.com/Food-Products/Log-Cabin-Original-Syrup/000040493) - actually lists "pure maple syrup" as the fifth ingredient. It's the fifth ingredient in my syrup as well, but so are the first four. :lol:

Amber Gold
02-02-2011, 03:24 PM
Thanks clan, just what I was looking for. I'm working on my website and want to have a page which lists the fake stuff, what the maple content is, and what other good things are in it...such as cellulose gum in Aunt Jemima...hmmm.

I'm surprised Maple Grove is putting their name on this product (http://www.zeer.com/Food-Products/Maple-Grove-Farms-Sugar-Free-Butter-Flavor-Syrup/40288081216457010121649a9f1d390f).

Also, nice job on part 1 and 2 of your rant on the "natural" syrup.

I was reading somewhere, the fake syrup started back in the late 1800's and started out as ~50% real syrup. Over time as other fake syrup's came into the market and the real syrup levels dropped (I think it was still 30% in the '70's), until it dropped to 0-4% where it is now.

Clan Delaney
02-02-2011, 04:05 PM
I was reading somewhere, the fake syrup started back in the late 1800's and started out as ~50% real syrup. Over time as other fake syrup's came into the market and the real syrup levels dropped (I think it was still 30% in the '70's), until it dropped to 0-4% where it is now.

Industrial food only cares about three things: more, faster, cheaper. The only way to achieve that with fake syrups is to remove the real maple from it, because we can't produce as much maple as they can produce HFCS, we're seasonal, and I believe that most of us want to get paid a decent price for our product.

I'm starting to worry about our product getting forced into becoming a commodity, instead of a specialty product. I don't ever intend to become like the corn farmer who has to upgrade and plant more every year for the honor of going deeper into debt. :mad:

DrTimPerkins
02-02-2011, 05:06 PM

Some of the first USDA food laws were made due to "maple syrup" adulteration. The Vermont Maple Sugar Makers Association is one of the oldest agricultural organizations in the U.S., and was formed partly to fight the maple syrup adulteration problems rampant in the late 1800s. Apparently at one time there was more "maple syrup" being produced in factories in Chicago than anywhere else.

I testified earlier today to the Vermont Senate Ag committee about these issues. Here in Vermont you don't mess with maple.