PDA

View Full Version : taps and tubing question????????

cpmaple
09-04-2010, 04:06 PM
Hello to all,
I called a got a quote on taps and tubing today and the person i talked to said that i need a tee for every tap is that true and why? Looking to put around 100 taps on gravity tubing this coming season and see how it goes. And i will also have 300 on tubing into five gallon pails. If anyone out there can help me understand why or why not i would be greatful for the help and if you have any more help thanks. Third year sugaring and now have a 2x6 and looking to put more on tubing down the road. thanks for your time and help. chad (cpmaple)

red maples
09-04-2010, 05:04 PM
you only need it for the gravity tubing not buckets.

the 5/16 tube that runs from tree to tree is called a lateral line and at each tapable tree you have a Tee which you connect the line connecting the tap to which is called a drop line. So yes a T at each tap.

farmall h
09-04-2010, 08:48 PM
cpmaple you might want to visit some of the video clips on "you tube" or visit somebody that has a tubing set-up. Get a visual and it will all come together!:)

cpmaple
09-05-2010, 04:21 AM
thanks that makes sense wasn't sure why i needed a tee at every tap now i do.

Brent
09-05-2010, 05:14 AM
You also need to think about the last tap on each lateral, which needs a little different set up. You will want to put the lateral under some tension to keep it more or less straight and level. So what most people do is put the 5/16 tube throught the ring of and end of line ring,
( http://www.leaderevaporator.com/c-17-plastic-516-tubing-fittings.aspx ) run the tubing arond the last tree and then stick it on one of the two connections points on the end of line ring fitting. This is like making a lasso with a slip knot. You can slide the tubing up or down and it will have the effect of tightening or losening the tubing. Then just like at every other tree, you put on a drop line, connected to the second barb on the end of line ring.

No easy to describe. If you look at members signatures you will see lots have photobucket accounts and many have photos of their tubing set ups.

Thad Blaisdell
09-05-2010, 06:08 AM
The newest way to end your lateral is the slide thing made by lapierre. You connect your slide end with a hook and it wraps around the tree and you hook it to your lateral. You leave 3 feet sticking out the other end of the slide and you have your drop with not having to cut your line. Go to the Lapierre web site and they have a video.