PDA

View Full Version : english tin?

PARKER MAPLE
09-01-2010, 08:21 AM
well im looking for some insight on english tin pans. do they preform as good as stainless, what do i need to look out for and are they easy clean up?
just figured i would put this out there i trying to get my act together here, and have the chance to buy a bigger evaporator, just figured i would get some insight with people that have maybe used them

Thanks m.r.

Jeff E
09-01-2010, 09:11 AM
I had a 2x8 Vermont style english tin set of pans. They performed very well in making syrup. Cleaning is more difficult, as you cant agressively scrub them. Rusting can be an issue, and pitting from the underside can be a real problem leading to the death of the pans.

Most of these pans are lead soldered, so the practice of leaving a slight build up of niter on the pan seams is common to minimize the potential for lead contamination.

I dont think you can use these pans in an 'organic' process.

Lots of great syrup has been made on English tin!

PARKER MAPLE
09-01-2010, 06:29 PM
What do you use for clean up?

vermaple
09-02-2010, 08:31 AM
When we used english tin pans we only used clean water. A good scrubbing and left the remaining niter on the pan.

sugarmountain
09-06-2010, 06:08 AM
we used english tin for over 30 years and used vinegar and water. worked great but go easy with the flue brush !

brookledge
09-06-2010, 09:14 PM
Do a search on the topic it has been discussed a lot in the past. As others said you can make good syrup on tin pans. How ever the issue of lead is a concern and also you have to remember the impression a visitor will have when visiting. You don't want to get negitive comments from visitors. All they need to do is tell someone don't buy your syrup because your pans look rusty.
Keith