PDA

View Full Version : Need help on heights

StayinLowTech
08-30-2010, 11:42 AM
While I look for an evaporator, I am ready to place the bulk tank and need to know how high off the floor the inlet float box is on different brands of 2x6 evaporators. Thanks in advance.

Jeff E
08-30-2010, 02:36 PM
Raised flue will be highest, flat pan or drop flue will be about the same. I have cooked on a 2x4, a 2x8 and a 3x12, and all were about 36-40" above the ground. I put my feed tank as high as practical though, and glad I did as I am adding a piggy back pan this year, and my feed line now will need to be about 55" up.

red maples
08-30-2010, 04:03 PM
I have a drop flue and I just went to measure it and it is about 39" I have it raised up off the floor a bit for air flow under the firbox ...wood floor!!!

and I have a 55 gal white poly drum on its side and the bottom is 72" high...mounted outside. someday I'll bring it in but if for some reason it overflows (which happened once last year!!! GGRRRR !!!) it just goes on the ground. (only lost a little sap though)...but not all over the place in the SH.

Haynes Forest Products
08-31-2010, 12:10 AM
Are you putting your rig in the crawl space, Pop up camper Dont over think it put it up high so you can stand under it and take a shower like the rest of us SAPS:rolleyes:

brookledge
08-31-2010, 09:06 PM
Keep it up. I'd go for 5'. While having plenty of height you don't want to much because the floats will have a hard time holding back the pressure when it is not calling for sap. If you have a raised flue and want either a preheater or piggy back you will need the extra height
Keith