PDA

View Full Version : Releaser dump into milk tank

Maplewalnut
08-30-2010, 11:29 AM
Anyone come up with any creative ways to position a releaser over a milk tank and control the dump into the 7 inch port instead of propping the larger tank lid? I am looking for some ideas on constructing a blacksplash of sorts but not sure how to secure to tank top. Tank will be remote so I would perfer not propping up the big lid so no leaves etc get blown in.

mapleack
08-30-2010, 03:50 PM
I dont have any pictures at the moment, but I did what you're asking about. I've got a 500 tap Bernard mechanical vertical realeaser with the dump flapper on the side. I built a stand for it out of 1 inch square steel tube, the base of which is L shaped with bolts for feet that are adustable for leveling, and also bolts that hold it to the tank lid. There are two steel uprights, about 6 in apart, that form a cradle ,I put pipe insulation around each upright for padding, and also a small angle iron lip to catch the bottom of the releaser. A cheap ratchet strap holds the releaser to the bracket. Now the tricky part was taking a 6" sch 40 pvc Cap, cutting it with a rotozip to match the curve of the releaser, then cutting a slot out at the bottom of it to let sap out. For last season I used duct tape to hold this on the releaser. It should have had some caulk where it met the releaser body. I then posistioned the whole contraption on the tank lid, marked holes, drilled 1/4in holes and bolted it to the lid. Then I used the leveling feet to level the whole deal on the tank. Worked great, though I'll caulk around the cap this year.

maplecrest
08-30-2010, 05:12 PM
what are you going to use for a releaser? single or double horizonal or vert.?alot of options but need more info. a small milk house sink drain hole over the 7 inch with releaser in sink. is one. a horizonal can be set over hole.home depot has house hold sinks make in china for 25 bucks that would work.releaser dumps in sink sink acts as funnel into tank

PATheron
08-30-2010, 06:40 PM
On one of mine I took a 55 gallon plastic foodgrade barrell and cut it in half, set the releaser into it and cut a two or three inch hole in the bottom of the barrell and set it over the hole in the tank. Theron

farmall h
08-30-2010, 07:47 PM
I wonder if it is possible to remove the factory flap valve and replace it with a 2" pvc flap valve (McMastercarr pn:?) then plumb it with a 90 deg pvc elbow. I have two of the 2" pvc flap valves but I would have to revisit the catalog to find the part#.

Maplewalnut
08-30-2010, 07:55 PM
Sorry guys, its a single mechanical. Was thinking something like theron and maple crest suggest. I guess I could plumb a tail on the bottom drain of whatever to extend into the tank and provide some support to keep it from rocking to much

Haynes Forest Products
08-31-2010, 12:02 AM
I tried all sorts of shields, curbs, covers, and my buddy got a plastic bag and picked up the double releaser and put it under and around taped it on and cut the bottom off. Put it down the hole and never lost a drop after that. Im thinking the first guy to make a glue on cover that directs it down like a cut in half tin can slapped on the side will be ........................well not rich but smart

Thad Blaisdell
08-31-2010, 04:22 AM
My cousin cured this by taking a piece of 4" PVC and cutting a notch in one end say 6" down through one end but only a third of the way through and getting some really big hose clamps attached it to the releaser that worked as good as anything I have ever seen.