PDA

View Full Version : There's more to life than pancakes!

Jim OK
04-03-2005, 09:40 PM
Anybody have a good recipe that uses maple syrup? Post it here.
Maple Ice Cream?
Maple Barbeque Sauce?
I'm hungry already.

Dave Y
04-04-2005, 08:14 AM
Jim, My favorite is maple syurp on vanilla ice cream. I also put it in my baked beans, and yesterday my wife candied carrots with it. dont really have a recipe persay. Just use it like brown sugar and add it to taste. you can also glaze a ham with it and i do like it on my sausage and bacon.

MaineMapleDave
04-04-2005, 10:13 AM
Here are 3 family favorites, and yes, it is possible to have them all in the same meal!!!

Maple-Dill Carrots:
Bunch of carrots, peeled and sliced diagonally (about half a pound or so). Steam them covered in a saute pan in about 1/4 C water for about 5 minutes. Uncover, add 2 TB butter, 1/3 to 1/2 C maple syrup and 1 TB minced fresh dill (or 1 tsp dried dill weed). Cook until the water is evaporated (stir often) and the syrup/butter has formed a nice almost sticky glaze on the carrots.

Maple Chicken:
Big ol' package of chicken thighs, skinless, in a roasting pan. Mix together 1/4 C melted butter, 1/2 C maple syrup, 1/2 tsp lemon zest, 2 tsp. lemon juice and pour over chicken. Sprinkle it all with a bit of salt & pepper and about 1/2 c sliced almonds.

Bake at 400 degrees for an hour (baste once in a while). Then drain off all the juices and put the chicken back in the oven for about 15 minutes to brown up a bit. While that is happening, degrease the juices, and boil like crazy in a small sauce pan to reduce a bit.

Serve with rice, and drizzle the sauce over it all.

Spinach Salad:
Mix together and heat: 1/2 C maple syrup, 1/4 to 1/2 C cider vinegar (to your taste preference). Pour over 1 pound washed and dried baby spinach, sprinkle with bacon bits and a grated hard boiled egg or 2, toss in 1/2 C grated cheddar, sprinkle with a bit of salt & pepper.

John Burton
04-04-2005, 11:20 AM
While boiling we like to enjoy an occasional North and South.Take a shot of Jack Daniels with an equal shot of syrup (usually just drawn off so its hot).

Johnny Cuervo
04-04-2005, 11:54 AM
A glass of milk with a couple teaspoons of syrup, cover and shake.

hillside maple syrup
04-04-2005, 12:21 PM
while boilin we throw some venison hotdogs right in the evaporator. **** its lunch time,and they sound good!

04-04-2005, 01:45 PM
I recently heard of somebody boiling some eggs in the evaporator.

brookledge
04-04-2005, 09:11 PM
John,
I like to call that Maple-Jack. Definately helps keep me warm on a cold night of boiling.
Keith

Russell Lampron
04-05-2005, 05:28 AM
We do the shot of hot maple syrup and chase it with a "boiling soda", also known as a beer.

Russ

dads hobby
04-06-2005, 10:04 PM
All of those sound really good especaily the liquid genders. It sure gets hot while boilling, not that I would know this year, :( :( but anyway, my kids and I really like "Maple syrup fudge" made with 2 cups of syrup,1 tablespoon of corn syrup,3/4 cup thin cream and 3/4 cup of chopped nuts (optional) heat syrup, corn syrup, and cream onlow heat stir until boilling. Cook without stiring until soft ballforms in water.remove from heat stir until thickened, add nuts pour intogreased pan let cool and cut and enjoy.
:D :D
By the way the younger kids have a tendency of bouncing off the walls if they have too much of this. :? :wink:

Lyle
04-11-2005, 08:26 AM
Maple brittle

Pour 1# of nuts (cashews are my favorite) and 1 pint of syrup into a large cast iron pan. Cook down untill the syrup becomes sugar. Spoon onto a greased cookie sheet and flatten out. When cool, break into pieces.
Good for munching while boiling!

12-25-2005, 09:40 PM
While boiling we like to enjoy an occasional North and South.

IMO there is just one thing you are missing... I'll PM you about that.

markcasper
12-26-2005, 02:56 AM
One interesing note.....last week I brought in a Christmas dish to work for our potluck meal. My wife makes a really good bean dish with hamburger, big beans, little beans, mushrooms and of course a generous quantity of syrup.

Another guy had "beans" that looked much the same and were doctored up quite a bit. Guess whos' bean dish was empty at the end of the shift??

HINT: Why are you on this site?

twigbender
03-30-2006, 12:57 PM
Mark:
You may want to describe to all these Nor'easters what a "potluck" is. I hate to think where their imagination may be taking them. They may not be familiar with that midwest phenomenon.

By the way, all the recipes on hear are really sounding good. Thanks to all for sharing your ideas.

mapleman3
03-30-2006, 01:40 PM
come on.. we Yankee's know what that is.. good ole BYOF.... put it on the table it's up for grabs

hodagswim
03-30-2006, 06:41 PM
I recently heard of somebody boiling some eggs in the evaporator.

Yes, we have done that before and it worked out well. The eggs browned on the shell and when youy cracked them open the whites had a slight maple flavor to them.

GregMVT
03-31-2006, 06:03 AM
My parents were down last weekend and was telling me that as a kid he would sugar with his uncle, about 60 years ago. They would put eggs in the syrup as they were boiling and pull them out when they were hungry. Some were in there so long the yolks would start turning green but they tasted real good.

Greg

mapleman3
03-31-2006, 07:52 AM
the only problem with cooking in the pans is selling the syrup... if you sell I don't think it's a good idea... but I used to boil eggs in my half pint.. andboy were they good !!!

musicfreak46290
03-15-2008, 06:49 PM
We cooked all beef hot dogs tonight for supper. All I can say is mmm!! Those were the best hot dogs I've had. Wish we'd have thought about boiling them in the pans before. Can't wait til next time.

hholt
03-17-2008, 09:24 AM
I had them with my 9 yr old son last week, but we cracked open the stove door and cooked them in the wood fire. They taste pretty good that way too.

musicfreak46290
03-17-2008, 12:33 PM
That sounds interesting. At the temp. our fire in the arch burns, we would melt the hot dogs before getting them all the way in. Plus, boiling them in the sap lets them collect good maple flavor. The last bay of the pan works best but causes the drawoff times to go behind.

RileySugarbush
03-17-2008, 01:08 PM
My son is planning a Hot Chocolate concession, using hot condensate off the preheater....

musicfreak46290
03-19-2008, 12:52 PM
Riley, do you have a condensation collection pan? It just gets me wondering how you could make hot chocolate. We dont get enough condensate off the pan to even try to make hot chocolate.

RileySugarbush
03-19-2008, 02:14 PM
Yes, I have a closed hood over my flue pan, and a copper pipe series preheater inside. A collection pan hangs under the preheater and stack, and is piped to the hood trough around the bottom perimeter and then a tube to a clean bucket. I throw away gallons of very hot distilled water every day, but save some for cleanup since I don't have water at my sugar house.

musicfreak46290
03-22-2008, 12:43 PM
That sounds interesting. Hopefully it goes/went well. Best of luck with the rest of the season.