PDA

View Full Version : stove pipe install--best type?

lastwoodsman
08-25-2010, 12:05 PM
Now that the sugar house is built installing the used arch a 2 x 6 waterloo, it has been previously installed with single walled 8 inch stove pipe. Worked well for 15 years in identical setup
Is it best to stick with this and replace every few years or go to double walled pipe and single walled above the roof or double walled the entire way?
Obviously single walled is alot cheaper and serviced the unit well till now with the previous owner.
With 24 inch spacing between the rafters and centering the roof jack accordingly is there any other suggestions one might have for this?
I have a steel roof with 1/2 inch sheathing applied to the rafters first.
Woodsman

3rdgen.maple
08-25-2010, 02:45 PM
I see no reason to spend all that money on a double wall pipe. My 2x6 is stainless steel 8 inch single wall and serves the purpose well. Of course Stainles is a one time purchase and regular steel pipe you will replace every few years. As long as you have proper clearance and adiquate ventilation at the roof line single wall is the way to go.

Haynes Forest Products
08-25-2010, 05:12 PM
Dont forget that the reason most single wall black pipe deteriates is because the weather during the summer rots it out. I just installed a Coal/Coke burning blacksmithing forge for a friend. You would think I was installing ventalation pipes on the space shuttle. Double wall all the way with triple for the roof and you need to have double to keep the pipe hot and BLA BLA BLA.

Run it in single wall and take it down every year and if your worried run one of those Creasote logs at the end of the year........Screw the log take it down and store in a dry place and cover the hole with a garbage can and wire it down and call it good

Fred Henderson
08-25-2010, 05:19 PM
Single wall SS will out last the evaporter.

lastwoodsman
08-25-2010, 05:40 PM
As usual you guys have great advice. I called Anderson's Maple supply here in MN and talked with Steve. He too said single wall is perfect and it was designed for 8 inch do not reduce to 6".
That said I would rather replace single wall every few years if necessary. He also told he to have it at least 9 feet bove the roof.
Thanks again for the great input.

lastwoodsman

Haynes Forest Products
08-25-2010, 10:21 PM
My oil burner rig has 14" single wall galvenized and other than some heat discolor its 7 years old and is just fine. Now would SS look nice YOU BET but man the cost.

3rdgen.maple
08-26-2010, 12:15 AM
It sure does look nice well atleast before you light the first fire. After that it it turns a bronze color and doesnt match the rest of the rig:cry: I had galvanized on my old rig and it lasted for about 5 years. Took it down every year. Still take my ss one down. Rain has a way of finding its way in the stack and down the arch. Like Haynes said SS expensive, galvenized will last for years if taken down and dry stored in the off season.

Fred Henderson
08-26-2010, 03:55 PM
It sure does look nice well atleast before you light the first fire. After that it it turns a bronze color and doesnt match the rest of the rig:cry: I had galvanized on my old rig and it lasted for about 5 years. Took it down every year. Still take my ss one down. Rain has a way of finding its way in the stack and down the arch. Like Haynes said SS expensive, galvenized will last for years if taken down and dry stored in the off season.

I made an open and close cap for my SS pipe. No rain in the off season, down or around.

brookledge
08-26-2010, 09:49 PM
If you plan on having it for a while then go with single wall stainless. And get a roof jack made. If you have the proper roof jack it will never leak.
Keith

3rdgen.maple
08-26-2010, 10:05 PM
The first year with my new rig in the off season I took the cap off and put a 5 gallon bucket over it. Sometime in the fall I checked on things and the rain still got in that pipe somehow so I take it down. Now that I sit here and think about it I got to check and see if the darn stack was not upside down allowing the rain to seep in the connection. It can only go on the stack base one way obviously but I wonder if it was manufactured wrong. Gotta check that tomarrow.

brookledge
08-26-2010, 10:16 PM
3rd gen
do you have a roof jack?
Keith

3rdgen.maple
08-26-2010, 10:26 PM
Yes sir got a roof jack and storm collar to go around the pipe. The rain didnt run down the outside of the pipe rather it was comeing down the inside of the pipe.