PDA

View Full Version : Going price of a sugar orchard?

jgrenier
08-24-2010, 03:21 PM
Looking for some input on what a reasonable price per tap would be for a lease agreement that you could run vac. on Thanks

brookledge
08-24-2010, 07:32 PM
First question is, Is the orchard already set up or would you need to do it?
If you need to set everything up then I'd say .50 per tap.If it is alrerady set up it is worth a lot more. But the market price varies depending on your area and how many other producers are in your area. The other issue is what is it worth to you? If there are others around you willing to pay a little more and you lose it then you would have been better off offering more.
So as I said I pay .50/ tap and I know others in different area pay less and some may pay more.
do a search on the topic it has been discussed before?
Keith

Thad Blaisdell
08-24-2010, 08:38 PM
The biggest question is how many taps? And how far away. The more taps and the closer they are the more value. To me 2000 or more taps 1 mile away would be worth more than 500 taps at a distance. I feel you are better off paying all of what you feel that you can just to get the taps. If run correctly each tap should be worth $15.00 to you. So what are you willing to pay to get them. If you pay to little then you get nothing. I feel $1.00 is a fair place to start.

red maples
08-25-2010, 09:19 AM
also depends on if the owner wants anything out of it as far as syrup is concerned. I tap my neighbors' trees and well its 25 here, 10, 5, there. but at that level I trade syrup. and they love it. I know someone that trades syrup and money and bottles the syrup in nice glass so the family can give it out as x-mas gifts as well.

Also take into consideration if you are using their electricity for your vac. I would say shoot for $ 0.75 per tap and sweeten it with a couple gallons of syrup!!! unless you just wanna keep it strictly money!!! thenI would shoot for $1.00. But see what is competative for your area if you can.