PDA

View Full Version : evaporators

nymapleguy607
04-03-2005, 07:53 PM
I'm looking to expand my maple business next season to 150 taps and I am looking for anyone with Knowledge of how to build an evaporator. I think i need one that is 2x6 if anyone could help me out or send me some type of drawing or plans i would appreciate it. Thanks Jeff

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-03-2005, 08:28 PM
Jeff,

Sounds like a very good idea, but one thing I can tell you is that you can buy a very nice used evaporator for about 1/2 or less sometimes than what one costs new. With building one, you probably wouldn't be able to build on nearly as efficient unless you are an extremely good tig welder and engineer and you would have a lot of $$$ in it due to the extremely high price of steel. :? Might want to study the designs of a couple of evaporators owned by producers that are not far away so you can get more of an idea of what you would be undertaking. :?

brookledge
04-03-2005, 09:41 PM
Jeff,
I would agree with Brandon, look around always small evaporators up for sale for people like you that want to go bigger. Unless you were going to make a flat pan I think a used evaporator is the best choice. But if you really want to make an evaporator with a flue pan go look at another producer or two and take measurements to make your own. With the prices of new steel the way it is now probably can pick up used one for a good price. Good luck in which ever you choose
Keith

hookhill
04-06-2005, 08:27 PM
Jeff,
We built a evaporator just a few weeks ago. I looked for a whole year in every online and newspaper ad for a used arch with no luck. The building adventure started when I got a "free" 30"x5' raised flue pan that cost $300 to fix. Then a $300 used syrup pan from Bascoms. They all say that the $ is in the pans. I drew up a basic plan in Autocad and then went and got all the angle iron and sheet metal to construct the frame. Also picked up a used arch front, arch board/gasket from Bascoms and then some new doors, stack and stack plate from Grimm in Rutland, VT. The total cost for the 2.5'x8' arch was around 1300 and it took around 40 hours to build. In retrospect I should have waited for this season to end as many good arch deals are turning up in the papers already. As far as the design I just looked at a few arches at Bascoms and Grimm and went from there. There is not a whole lot to it. The arch front kind of dictates the shape. You want to make sure that the bottom is narrower than the top so your bricks will lie in there without mortar. I cut the 1.5' angle iron using a $4.50 metal cutting blade mounted on a compound miter saw, worked great. Then used a old Lincoln stick welder to weld the frame. One key to a raised flue arch is to make a ramp 12" from the back of the syrup pan. This serves to drive the flame up into the flues. When the season is done I will take the pans off and send you some pictures. Good luck.

Jim

sweetwoodmaple
04-06-2005, 08:37 PM
Jim,

I need to build or get an arch for a 2 x 6 raised flue set of pans that I will be getting in a few weeks. Think you could share those pics with me as well? Looking to save a few bucks or wait another year. (need a vacuum system first)

Thanks!

Brian

hookhill
04-11-2005, 09:26 AM
Yes, when the season is over I will take some pictures of the arch with the firebrick removed. That way you can see the frame better. Best.

Jim

sweetwoodmaple
04-11-2005, 09:56 AM
Thanks!