PDA

View Full Version : Merging lines

steve J
08-20-2010, 06:56 AM
I installed one of my main lines wires the other day and I have some hlep for tomorrow to actually hang that main line. My question is this main line dues to the elavation of the ground and wer eit is running to behind the sugar house will be coming in as it approaches the storage tank at an 9 or 10% pitche. The second line that will merge with it will be coming in at about 5%. When I put the connector in should I have it perfectly level with the faster running line or should I angle it up some allowing the slower running line to drip into it?

mapleack
08-20-2010, 08:19 AM
I'd use a wye and have it angled up so the slower line dumped in from above.

DrTimPerkins
08-20-2010, 02:35 PM
When I put the connector in should I have it perfectly level with the faster running line or should I angle it up some allowing the slower running line to drip into it?

Probably not a lot of difference how you position it if you're on gravity. Definitely use a wye instead of a tee though.

bison1973
08-20-2010, 03:34 PM
I've always had a question about this and was never sure if i was doing it right. For a 3/4" branch line that merges into your 3/4" mainline... how do you properly keep the tension on the branch line? If you use tension grips and rachets on the branch line (at the end) it seems to put too much stress on the Y where it enters the mainline.

mapleack
08-20-2010, 03:52 PM
I try to always join mainlines near a tree so that the branch mainline can have its own independent support wire anchored to the tree. This allows a tension free connection at the wye. If you have to run the wire past the main thats being joined an extra couple feet, no big deal. If you aren't using wire the same thing could probably be accomplished with a tension grip just back the branch main, with a piece of nylon rope anchoring it to a handy tree.

steve J
08-20-2010, 05:24 PM
I am going to be anchoring to a tree that has the main running by it and then extending the branch ine 3 or 4 feet to the wye I will bring it in a few inches higher and let it drop down to that wye.

brookledge
08-20-2010, 06:15 PM
I do as maplejack does. I only bring in mainlines together at trees so my mainline has a good anchor
Keith

ennismaple
08-20-2010, 10:05 PM
I agree with only joining lines at a tree to take the stress off the "Y" fitting. If the 2nd mainline comes in close to the tank I wouldn't join them and would bring both mainlines to the end.

vermaple
08-21-2010, 08:07 AM
I am going to be anchoring to a tree that has the main running by it and then extending the branch ine 3 or 4 feet to the wye I will bring it in a few inches higher and let it drop down to that wye.

Steve, that's the way I've done for years with good results.