PDA

View Full Version : Syrup Sales Estimate

Amber Gold
08-19-2010, 03:43 PM
I'm participating in a local heritage fair. There will be a section of food vendors and people selling products...farmers, craft makers and etc.. I will be one of two maple producers there and I will be selling just products...syrup/cream/candy. The other producer is in the food vendor section because they will be selling cotton candy, ice cream, and probably syrup/cream/candy.

The person putting it on is estimating 2-3000 people if the weather's good. The had >1200 person turnout last year with rain both days.

Is there a good way to estimate how much syrup could be sold? I want to make sure I have enough, but I'm buying bulk syrup, so I want to make sure I don't have too much money tied up in syrup that doesn't sell.

Thanks for the help.

802maple
08-19-2010, 06:47 PM
There is really no way of knowing. All I can say is plan on the best possible scenario and then #1 promote your product. #2 promote your product. Oh and #3 promote your product. Good luck Man and have fun, that always sells the most. If you put your product out and then set back and wait for itself to sell it won't. Wish I could help more.

gmcooper
08-19-2010, 08:30 PM
You never know what a group of people will actually buy, but do something to get their attention. Give out some samples small sample of ice cream with syrup is usually a draw. Also some good quality photos of your operation and how syrup is made is a way for them to connect on the locally produced aspect.
Don't be shocked if the other guy ends up selling syrup also. Seen it happen before.
Hope the event goes well for you.

brookledge
08-19-2010, 09:02 PM
My opinion is it will depend on where the crowd is from. If it is local people who have acccess to maple syrup already then the tendency is to not buy it at the fair since they don't want to carry it. But if it draws them in from other areas then sales could be good.
As the others said it is really hard to tell though. And don't get discouraged if you see people carrying the other guys syrup.
Keith

maplecrest
08-20-2010, 10:34 AM
for me it woulds be hard to look a customer in the eye selling syrup made by someone else.

mapleack
08-20-2010, 02:05 PM
for me it woulds be hard to look a customer in the eye selling syrup made by someone else.

We don't all have access to 10,000 taps though. As long as it's quality syrup and you don't lie about it if asked, there's nothing wrong with it at all. Simply business. We had to buy 55 gal last month, only the second time we've ever bought syrup, and I suspect we'll be looking for more before next season. With the potential income difference between bulk and retail, if a sales opportunity exists its a no-brainer. Good luck!

red maples
08-20-2010, 02:35 PM
I agree with mapleack. Its all good. It wasn't the best of years for alot of folks including my self.

but anyway. Its so hard to tell. you won't get a straight answer for that one just have a good variety. One person who may help you is Ben fisk...ben's sugarhouse...

Good guy and he does a ton of shows I am sure he can tell you how much you need.

He usually fills about 4 6ft tables with syrup, all grades, all size jugs and glass, and candy, cream, maple drops, and does cotton candy. I am sure you know him but he would be a good source I would think.

www.bens-maple-syrup.com

but most of all have fun!!!

oldemaple
08-20-2010, 08:13 PM
As others have mentioned, it's hard to tell what is going to sell. I can give you some suggestions from my own experience at these types of shows. I did 11 winter markets last year and each one of them had 2000 customers come through the doors. In my case I brought 16 quarts each of medium, dark and B. I had 20 pints of each of the grades and 20 half pints of each grade. This was an ample amount for my sales. I also gave out free taste samples. This was the most important thing that I did. I found that if I could get someone to taste my syrup, I had a sale. Don't bring a chair!!! Stand up at your table and greet every person that goes by. If you get their attention, you have a better chance of making a sale. Now for a couple of trade secrets that will help you if you're able to choose your spot. You want a table along the wall on the right hand side of the room as you enter it. You don't want a table in the middle of the room. Most people have tunnel vision and will not see what's in the middle of the room. You want it on the right hand side of the entrance because people generally travel in a counter-clock-wise motion. I hope that this information will be of assistance to you.

farmall h
08-20-2010, 10:26 PM
I tend to agree with Maplecrest. I certainly am not lighting the world on fire with production and have sold 90 gal. that was canned for retail (retail for me means to sell by word of mouth and to long standing customers...you know $cash) Anyway, my point is I am sold out! Can't say as though I would buy someone else's bulk syrup for resale. What I do is direct the customer to another maple producer.....gosh, I don't know...you buy it @ bulk, you reheat it, can it, cost of the container, time and labor to display and sell it...where's the profit? I don't know ...maybe the heritage fair would be great place to sell syrup...I just feel that with something like syrup it should be your "own" product. Sorry for the rant, just my feelings on the topic.

red maples
08-21-2010, 05:54 AM
As others have mentioned, it's hard to tell what is going to sell. I can give you some suggestions from my own experience at these types of shows. I did 11 winter markets last year and each one of them had 2000 customers come through the doors. I hope that this information will be of assistance to you.

Yeah I remember that one geez we got there and everybody was sold outta everything!!! no shrimp, no chicken, no eggs, no lettuce, just a few potatoes left . although the eggs at farmers markets are crazy over priced. sorry $5 a dozen a bit too much. but anyway ...Josh do you know who the other producer is...hopefully not sugarmomma!!! that guys gets all the business...ice cream and cotton candy and stuff!!!

Thad Blaisdell
08-21-2010, 06:34 AM
I guess my opinion on the selling someone else's syrup would be that if you know the producer and where and how well it is made. Buying it from a "Bascom's" and reselling it, not knowing anything about where it comes from would make it a little hard for me to sell at a Heritage Fair.

red maples
08-21-2010, 07:45 AM
I have see a few folks down south here...(southern nh that is) selling light. but there has been very little if any light made south of the lakes region the last 2 years. (not to say noones has made light but I haven't spoke to anyone that has...So that means either their light syrup is 2 years old or more or it has been bought in bulk for them to sell.

oldemaple
08-21-2010, 06:21 PM
Brad and Josh, you should never let the competition get to you. I went up against Sugarmamma at 11 winter markets and I go up with him every week at the Exeter farmers' market. If you follow some of the pointers that I gave earlier, you'll get your fair share of the business.

Steve

3rdgen.maple
08-22-2010, 12:46 AM
Competition is a good thing. Keeps people honest and prices competative.

red maples
08-22-2010, 06:09 AM
Brad and Josh, you should never let the competition get to you. I went up against Sugarmamma at 11 winter markets and I go up with him every week at the Exeter farmers' market. If you follow some of the pointers that I gave earlier, you'll get your fair share of the business.

Steve

OH I know!!!! I hit his booth for the free samples but I always get at least some candy from you when ever I go into town on thursdays!!!

Amber Gold
08-22-2010, 03:22 PM
All the input is greatly appreciated. Sorry for the delay in responding. I had to work today and spent today driving to/from VT picking up an RO.

Brad and Oldemaple, that will be my competition at the fair. We'll see if I can hold my own. I was planning on giving out free samples of syrup and cream. I've found that if I give out cream samples, I'm almost guaranteed a sale.

Oldmaple, it'll be setup in a field, not exactly sure how. I plan on showing up early and hope to get my pick of spots. I had on hand about what you sold at the market. I bought two 15-gal drums, one to make sure I had enough, and the other with the possibility of a seasonal wholesale market (apple orchard). If I don't sell all of it now, I will during the holiday season.

In regards to selling syrup, if I didn't buy in syrup, I would've been sold out during maple weekend and would've had to close up shop. How many repeat customers would you get if you sell out that early? Also, if you tell everyone to go down the street, how many will come back to you knowing that you'll be sold out? Also, being in the Seacoast of NH there aren't many large maple stands, but there's a good demand for syrup. It's not like I can walk around the corner and find a 2000 tap orchard. I avoid Bascom's for buying bulk and buy from a friend of mine. Each barrel is sampled and grade checked before I buy it. Buying in bulk has done multiple things for me: given me justification for expanding, brought in additional money so I can expand, and allowed me to increase my retail, and possibly wholesale base. How is this a bad thing? Next year I will be tapping more trees and hope to meet my demand, but if business keeps growing like it is, I will buying in bulk next year as well and expanding again. Fortunately, I am getting the help of a long time sugarmaker and he's been a big help this year. The economics in buying bulk aren't as good, but they do work.

220 maple
08-22-2010, 09:44 PM
Value add,
If your selling candy that is a value add product, Should increase the value of your syrup to above 60 dollars a gallon, my favorite value add product is maple coated almonds and pecans. I have hinted around about that for over a year or more on this message board. If I am retailing the value of the products goes over 250 dollars a gallon, if I sell them to a store I give them a discount, knocks the value to 150 to 200 dollars a gallon. I sure that doesn't seem possible, but we have run the numbers so many times we are wearing the keypad out on the calculator. Lol! We also give out samples of syrup, You can purchase a jug pump at the dairy supply businesses, them use something small like communion cups. Just want them to get a slight taste. They start digging for money after it hit their tounges.

Mark 220 Maple

red maples
08-23-2010, 09:02 AM
yes that is true. When I am boiling during the season I always have a few of the little 3.4 oz bottles hanging out for tasting!!! and it sells alot more once they taste it!!! I also save my messed up candies and bits and pieces to taste as well and folks usually buy candy for the road.

Thad Blaisdell
08-23-2010, 04:24 PM
This year I went to the local McDonalds and grabbed a handful of their plastic containers that you are supposed to use for the ketchup. They worked great.

Haynes Forest Products
08-23-2010, 04:33 PM
Thad Thad Thad you cheap little *&^&^% dont you know it takes OIL to make those things....................Arbys has the paper ones at least your killing trees and not fossil fuels:rolleyes:

Thad Blaisdell
08-23-2010, 06:11 PM
LOL.... my secret is out. A little bit of oil in those little samplers..... I washed them out to reuse. But if you want to talk about use of oil, I burn 29 gallons per hour when boiling. Now that is a lot of oil.

Amber Gold
08-30-2010, 06:54 AM
The fair is over with. I think the turnout was less than expected, but it's hard to judge those things. This may have been due to the air show that was in Portsmouth.

Overall sales were good...suprisingly sold some gallons. I didn't make quite what I wanted, but it was still worthwhile to go as it was a boost to summer sales. I think more importantly it was good for exposure. Many Barrington and area residents are still unaware that there is a sugar house in Barrington. I think this will help to increase sales next season.

Thanks for the help.

red maples
08-30-2010, 11:17 AM
I have the same situation. I know there are a few producers in my area. not very many though. there are a few back yard operations in my little town. but I am the biggest at 300 taps. and the only one that sells in my town. there are folks here that don't put 2 and 2 together until they see me and ask me if I am the syrup guy. but word does get around.