PDA

View Full Version : flue pan dividers

SilverLeaf
08-16-2010, 01:15 PM
Wondering if anyone can explain (or better yet, show photos!) of how the dividers are placed in a flue pan (raised or drop) to create more than one chamber. I'm still a flat pan guy, but, well, thinking ahead a bit, and trying to understand how a gradient can be started already in the flue pan. I'm not quite getting the mechanics of it, what with all the flues in the way....

brookledge
08-16-2010, 07:31 PM
Does your new 2X6 have a flue pan? Anyways a simple way of looking at it is taking a large sheet of steel and folding it up like a acordion. The newer welded pans may be different but soldered ones would use a large sheet that way there was no seams in it laterally. Then all that is needed is to solder up the ends. The reason a flue pan makes such a big improvement in boiling capacity is you are adding a tremendous amount of surface area and when the flues are narrow allowing the flames up through you get a lot of heat transfer
Keith

Haynes Forest Products
08-16-2010, 07:44 PM
My 3x10 raised has 2 permenant dividers on top of the flues and removable dividers below the sap level. they are not completly water tight but under full boil sap turns to higher gradiant and moves along. My dividers block off the outside skin of the pan and extend to the flue to act as a dam.:confused: :confused: :)

SilverLeaf
08-17-2010, 08:22 AM
So Haynes - am I understanding correctly that you always run your sap level above the dividers? And so all the tranfer from one chamber to the other happens on top of the dividers (not through some hole or opening down below)?

What's the purpose for having part of the divider be "removable"?

Haynes Forest Products
08-17-2010, 09:24 AM
Describing this IS like trying to describe a KISS concert. My 2 permenant dividers are for boiling sap and foam control. The removable dividers are for reversing the sap flow and cleaning. The dividers are as high as the permenant dividers. All sap movemant is confined below the top of the dividers. The removable ones are not so tight as to keep all liquids from getting past them. When your boiling it really doesnt matter if a small amount of the sap and higher gradiant mix.