PDA

View Full Version : Maple Coated Apples

Amber Gold
08-16-2010, 11:16 AM
My wife had a good idea over the weekend...maple coated apples.Instead of caramel or candy coated, use syrup. These should be a big hit this fall. Below are questions I have.

What stage/temperature to bring the syrup to?

What grade of syrup to use?

Do I let the syrup cool at all prior to dunking the apples?

Anyone with candy apple making experiance know how long the apples will last after dunking? I'm going to a fair on the 28/29th, can I make them the weekend prior w/ fresh picked apples?

Thanks for the help.

red maples
08-16-2010, 05:40 PM
neat Idea...let me know how it turns out!!! it might work I think it would have to be a similar temp of syrup on snow. to get that caramelly/taffy consistence. and I would use a granny smith or other tart apple firm apple to off set the sweetness of the syrup. a week out will be too far I would say no more than 2-3 days out. or the apples mights get mushy around the outside(by the peel) just from personal experience candy and carmel apples what ever medium has to be warm and the apple cold.

brookledge
08-16-2010, 07:14 PM
I would say the problem will be keeping the maple coating on the apple. maple cream or sugar on snow consistancy will not stay in place at room temp or hot weather at a fair. I suppose you could expeirement with the recipe for making lolipops.
Good luck and let us know if you have any sucsess
Keith

red maples
08-16-2010, 07:23 PM
yes true you might have to add some glucose to make it hold. more like a candy apple rather than caramel.

Amber Gold
08-16-2010, 08:21 PM
You can't get 100% pure maple to set hard like candy?

Making the maple lollipops sure would cut costs down, but the maple flavor wouldn't be as strong.

TF Maple
08-17-2010, 09:38 AM
Maybe the Maple Tire thread will help?
http://www.mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?t=9205

brookledge
08-17-2010, 06:50 PM
I just think that when you warm up caramel to dip an apple in it has different properties than maple cream. And if you try to use candy the candy will set up before you can dip many apples in. With caramel you can keep it warm with out it affecting it and you can cool it and re heat it with out a problem.
It is a great idea so if you have the time play with some of the ideas
Keith

Amber Gold
08-18-2010, 07:31 AM
Good input. I'm not going to have time for the next few weekends to work on it, but I'll post my results when I do.

Thanks to Dill, I may have picked up a wholesale account at a local apple orchard. I'm sure this would be a big hit there.

red maples
09-01-2010, 11:15 AM
Josh...playing with maple coated apples now ....well no apples yet just playing with syrup and sugar to see what I need to get the right consistence at room temp.....nah need glucose!!! can't get it right. need to cut syrup with reg cane sugaar and glucose like the maple drops or lollipops. and I don't have and glucose.

maplefrank
10-11-2010, 09:39 PM
trying this too, i boiled it to 252 then dipped the apple........will see what its like tomorrow......

802maple
10-12-2010, 08:03 AM
I have done this and I boiled to around 250. What works the best is have your apple as cold as you can get it without freezing it. Dip it in and then remove and put on wax paper to dry. Sometimes you have to dip it twice to get a thicker coating.

TF Maple
10-12-2010, 09:29 AM
So if you double dip, how long does it have to sit before the second dip and do you chill the apple after the first dip? Thanks

802maple
10-12-2010, 11:02 AM
Let the apple stand for a couple minutes and redip if you feel it needs it. It isn't in the syrup long enough to heat it up much

oxdrover7
10-21-2010, 12:30 PM
they sound good or should i say great:D