PDA

View Full Version : New Pans !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cpmaple
08-14-2010, 09:18 PM
New pans just arrived thursday and wondering if anyone out there has any input on how many taps i could handle on it. Its gonna be a 2x6 but, the front pan is a 2x2 divided and a 2x4 flat rear pan. Looking to do 300 taps is that to many for this setup? This is only my third year making liquid gold and my family and i enjoy the whole process.

3rdgen.maple
08-14-2010, 09:31 PM
I ran 300 taps on a 2x6 flat pan setup for years. It was alot of work but I didnt mind it at all. With buckets you get a few days of runs then a few without. So I was always boiling daily throughout the season to stay on top of it. About the time I would boil the last drop it was running again. I say better to tap to many and not enough. There are ways of getting rid of too much sap but there are alot fewer ways to get more sap without more taps. I say go for it. If you are in to deep just pull some of them till you find your comfort level. First year with a new setup is all about finding the comfort level and tweeking as you go.

KenWP
08-16-2010, 07:26 PM
If the 2x4 pan was with flues I would say try for 400 or so but with a flat pan you have to slow down a bit. 300 should keep you busy. I did 200 this year on three 16x18 pans with flues in the back two. Sort of works out to be a 2x3 if you do the math. It was pretty amazing compared to 150 with one 16x18 pan the year before. I only had to boil to 3am once and that was to finish up a big batch with poor sap.

Haynes Forest Products
08-16-2010, 07:31 PM
Im with the run it hard and long and enjoy yourself. There is nothing worse that having a new evap sitting idle with family and friends sitting around waiting for sap.:emb: Have you ever run out of propane for the BBQ with the steaks 1/2 done with company standing around;)