PDA

View Full Version : Best stubby spout

Farmboy
08-11-2010, 09:24 PM
I am going to be ordering some of my supplys for next season soon so I can start running tubing. What is you favorite stubby spout and reducer. I'm not going o be on vacume so I don't need the cv adapter but I like just putting on a clean one and throwing it out at the end of the season. Also what does everyone use for saddles. I'm going to have a 3/4" mainline. The closest dealer to me carrys all brands so I will buy whatever the best.

Homestead Maple
08-12-2010, 09:10 PM
I have used the IPL multi fitting for the last 10 years or so and have had great luck with them. Never had any sealing problems with them and they are reasonably priced. I also use the Leader stubbies because a lot of other brands fo adapters work with them. the price is in the middle of the range.

Amber Gold
08-24-2010, 10:58 AM
Homestead, I was considering the IPL stubby because it's significantly cheaper than Lapierre's, but it looks the same in Bascom's catalogue.

red maples
08-24-2010, 11:30 AM
I will be switching over to the CV's maybe next year...kinda waiting for the bugs to get worked out first. but for saddles I personally like the lapierre super saddle the only down side is you have to put them together. but its a 3 piece and they can be used for 3/4, 1, and 1-1/4 tubing and I am changing out the first 100 feet of tubing to 1" this year so I can still use those saddles!!! I looked at the IPL and its nice heavy duty but the connection comes out at 45 degrees and instead of the 90 didn't like that.

while we are on fittings. I am using the leader end line ring but I don't like it. I am looking to change over to the lapierre end line slide fitting but I don't get it. I under stand that there is a wire hook so you can use it at the mainline instead of the hook connectors but what about the end of the lateral at the last tap...am I missing a bigger hook that that fits the tubing... in bascom's catalog there is a strap fot the slide fitting what's tha for? with the slide fitting I saw the videos on UTUBE but ....well any help would be good.

Sbascom
08-24-2010, 12:09 PM
[QUOTE=Amber Gold;115751]Homestead, I was considering the IPL stubby because it's significantly cheaper than Lapierre's, but it looks the same in Bascom's catalogue.[/QUOTE

In Bascoms' catalog they are the same picture. a mistake we hadn't picked up on. One thing you should know about IPL stubbies is they do not fit the Check Valve adapter if you decide to use those in the future. With the IPL stubby you are stuck with an IPL adapter. Leader and Lapierre seem to be interchangeable.

mapleack
08-24-2010, 01:54 PM
I will be switching over to the CV's maybe next year...kinda waiting for the bugs to get worked out first. but for saddles I personally like the lapierre super saddle the only down side is you have to put them together. but its a 3 piece and they can be used for 3/4, 1, and 1-1/4 tubing and I am changing out the first 100 feet of tubing to 1" this year so I can still use those saddles!!! I looked at the IPL and its nice heavy duty but the connection comes out at 45 degrees and instead of the 90 didn't like that.

while we are on fittings. I am using the leader end line ring but I don't like it. I am looking to change over to the lapierre end line slide fitting but I don't get it. I under stand that there is a wire hook so you can use it at the mainline instead of the hook connectors but what about the end of the lateral at the last tap...am I missing a bigger hook that that fits the tubing... in bascom's catalog there is a strap fot the slide fitting what's tha for? with the slide fitting I saw the videos on UTUBE but ....well any help would be good.

Redmaples, the strap for the slide fitting is for hooking it onto tubing. Personally I just use a T at the last tree to put a loop around it, then use a slide tensioner at the main. I can see where using the tensioner at the end would be nice if you wanted to be able to totally drop the lateral to the ground.

DrTimPerkins
08-24-2010, 04:03 PM
I will be switching over to the CV's maybe next year...kinda waiting for the bugs to get worked out first.

There have been several changes to the CV adapter already this year. None are what I would classify as "major". Mainly just little tweaks to improve certain things.

- the nylon composition is slightly different. This is to correct the "curing" issue. The new version will require no curing at all, and is far less brittle. We couldn't break them with a small sledgehammer.

- the "teeth" were made slightly more robust to prevent breakage

Can't remember what else might have changed, but I do know that there were some improvements being made. I think there was some slight tweaks also to the stubby, but nothing real serious. The major difference (I believe) is that a small chamfer was added to the inside of the stubby where it connects to the spout adapter. Material was removed to make it less likely that poor placement of the stubby onto the CV adapter would result in damage to the CV "teeth".

DrTimPerkins
08-24-2010, 04:06 PM
One thing you should know about IPL stubbies is they do not fit the Check Valve adapter if you decide to use those in the future. With the IPL stubby you are stuck with an IPL adapter. Leader and Lapierre seem to be interchangeable.

This is correct....at least for the time being the IPL stubby will not fit the CV spout adapter. The varying geometries of spouts and stubbys do not (currently) allow for a "universal" stubby that will fit all spouts, or a "universal" spout adapter that will fit all stubbys. Somewhat frustrating.

Amber Gold
08-25-2010, 11:32 AM
Sam, thanks for the heads up on the IPL spout. That is now off my list.

Russell Lampron
08-26-2010, 05:25 AM
I use the Lapierre stubby and straight spouts. They both fit the CV adapters good with just a twist. The straight Lapierre spouts are about $.10 less expensive than the 90 degree stubby.

Maplewalnut
08-26-2010, 07:14 AM
For some reason I thought stubbies were the only spout that fit?

vtmaplemaker
08-26-2010, 07:50 AM
I am a little confused here, if you are using stubbies and adaptors to get a new piece of plastic in the tree every year, but do not want to use the cv's why would you not just use a disposable spout, and save the cost of the stubby up front?

Amber Gold
08-26-2010, 08:19 AM
I found the straight stubbies are harder to use on large trees because there wasn't an angle on the stubby. The alternative is a straight stubby with a longer drop.

VT, are you talking about using a seasonal spout? How well do they seal on the tubing under high vac.? Then how do you seal the drop in the offseason?

red maples
08-26-2010, 09:33 AM
I think you have to get a plug don't you??

which Tee do you use for leader stubby...the one with the 2 stage plug, or is there a separate plug you can get for it so I don't have to change the Tee. like a snap on plug?

And I did find the answer to my question about the lapierre end line slide connectors and there is another hook that attaches to slide so you can put it on the end tree of the lateral. Chris...maple guys...said he did his woods thats way. He has the hooks but I didn't see them in bascom's catalog. SO i will try it on some of my new laterals this year and see how they work!!!

vtmaplemaker
08-26-2010, 09:51 AM
the seasonal spouts seal great on the line, no leaks.. the only time I have had a drop pull off the line, is if a branch or something fell on it, and that would have pulled a stubbie-adapt apart or broken a tap ect.. as far as plugging the line, Lapierre, and I beleive cdl make a t that has a plug for 5/16 line.. Lapierre makes a ring you slide on your drop with a 5/16 plug.. or I leave the old taps on for the summer plugged with the 5/16 tap plug on my t, and then replace next spring when I tap them...

Randy Brutkoski
08-26-2010, 04:12 PM
Thats what i did. I left my Straight seasonal spout on and plugged it into the tee and when i get ready to tap i will cut it off and start with a new one. I used the Lappiere clear straight spout in one of my woods for the first time last year and i couldnt believe how easy they were to use.

Farmboy
08-26-2010, 07:10 PM
I am a little confused here, if you are using stubbies and adaptors to get a new piece of plastic in the tree every year, but do not want to use the cv's why would you not just use a disposable spout, and save the cost of the stubby up front?

I dont have vacume yet but I want it set up so that when I get vacume I can use cv adapters.

vtmaplemaker
08-26-2010, 09:28 PM
well I guess my feeling on it is, why spend the money now for something you may never use, vs spending it later if you need it.... I would personally go with the disp. spouts, and then if you get vac and want to use the cv.s put the stubbies on your drops then... who knows maybe there will be something better between now and then, or a disposable cv?? if you are looking at using cv,s why not use the leader stubbie they are designed for??

Amber Gold
08-27-2010, 08:32 AM
VT, that's the direction I'm heading in and is now my plan for this coming season. Do the seasonal's push on by hand, or do you need a tool to install them? Do the seasonal's need to be cutoff, or are they removed by hand?

Has anybody done a comparison test of sap yields from a seasonal vs. a CV spout? For new tubing they should be about the same, but I'm wondering what the performance difference, if any, on used tubing.

Thanks

Farmboy
08-27-2010, 09:22 AM
I think Im going to use seasonals this year. They are cheeper and I think Vt is right when and if I get vacume i will switch over

red maples
08-27-2010, 09:53 AM
VT, that's the direction I'm heading in and is now my plan for this coming season. Do the seasonal's push on by hand, or do you need a tool to install them? Do the seasonal's need to be cutoff, or are they removed by hand?

Has anybody done a comparison test of sap yields from a seasonal vs. a CV spout? For new tubing they should be about the same, but I'm wondering what the performance difference, if any, on used tubing.

Thanks

I am sure the Doc Perkins will address this one.

but when you get a reverse flow in the line it will take all the bacteria(microbes) that are in the line already and push them back to the tap hole! I am sure the seasonal spout does help and if you have 1st or second year tubing I would think they are probably great. the older the tubing the more bacteria/ microbes you have built up in the line.

I know your completely starting from scratch on these new woods but I think I would set up with the CV's even if you just do the stubbies for now and but purchese the seasonal CV adapter later(sorta spead out the expense thats what I am going to do next year and I am hopefully gonna add on 50 or so taps a yearuntil I gett them all!!!:) )

especially since you know your setting up vac to start with!!!

I have no experience with either of these but that is just what I understand from reading about them but wanted to put in my $.02.

Gary R
08-27-2010, 07:20 PM
Red,

This is the first year for me putting up some tubing. I am using the slide fittings also. The local dealer showed me all types. He uses the slides so I thought I'd give it a try. He does it this way; You use a piece of old tubing and make a loop around the tree. The tubing is held together with a main line connector (5/16 splice). A small piece of side tie wire is made into a loop around the tubing. The slide fitting has the hook for the wire. Just hook the slide fitting on the wire. The down sides to this is it takes alot of time to do and is more expensive to do. The plus side is you can easily adjust tension at both ends of the lateral, you have one less connector in you line for leaks or bacteria to sit and no dead legs. If someone is doing a few hundred taps it might be the way to go. If you were doing thousands, it might be to expensive to do. Let us know what that fitting is from the Maple Guy's.

DrTimPerkins
08-28-2010, 05:14 PM

Research based at UVM PMRC (Perkins) and the Cornell Maple Program (Childs) indicates:

New tubing system = basically no difference
Old tubing system, new drop lines = some difference
Old tubing system, old drop lines = big difference

The amounts depend upon a large number of factors, the primary one being the age/contamination level of the tubing.

red maples
08-29-2010, 07:48 AM
Red,

This is the first year for me putting up some tubing. I am using the slide fittings also. The local dealer showed me all types. He uses the slides so I thought I'd give it a try. He does it this way; You use a piece of old tubing and make a loop around the tree. The tubing is held together with a main line connector (5/16 splice). A small piece of side tie wire is made into a loop around the tubing. The slide fitting has the hook for the wire. Just hook the slide fitting on the wire. The down sides to this is it takes alot of time to do and is more expensive to do. The plus side is you can easily adjust tension at both ends of the lateral, you have one less connector in you line for leaks or bacteria to sit and no dead legs. If someone is doing a few hundred taps it might be the way to go. If you were doing thousands, it might be to expensive to do. Let us know what that fitting is from the Maple Guy's.

It's the lapierre end line slide fitting they are $0.40 a piece from maple guys and .$0.43 a piece from bascoms and the end hook is $0.23 a piece only from the maple guys. the way you mentioned seems a a bit time consuming though with the slide fitting exta wire tubing there is no extra stuff to bring out with you you just bring the fitting the tubing gets wrapped around the end tree and you clip on the fitting pull it tight and your done!!! put the tap in the end of the tubing and you can pull it as tight as you need to. if you need to take it down it goes down in a snap ...on the mainline end you use the same slide with out the extra hook and slide and hook it right to the main line wire. no more hook connector fittings. there is a video on youtube I will see if I can find it and post it again. Caseysugarshack uses these too I think.

Here is that link...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y3KPIvlyZc&feature=related

Amber Gold
09-02-2010, 06:58 AM
For the one's using the straight through seasonals, during the season when they get pushed out and leak, how do you reseat them? You can't tap them back in if there isn't an elbow to hit.

Thad Blaisdell
09-02-2010, 07:16 AM
The only way to do it is to remove the drop line and tap it back in then reattach the drop. That is why I went with the clear spouts with the 90 degree bend you could pound them back in very handily. This year the 3000 that I am adding on I will be going with the Leader stubby and CV spouts. If they make any difference at all they will pay for themselves.