PDA

View Full Version : Shmegma in the flue pan

Parker
04-03-2005, 05:34 AM
My flue pan is starting to smell like a bait shop,,is there a way I can clean it up some without dumping the 150 gallons out of it,,If I knew I was going to have a decent run or two I would dump the whole thing out and hose it down,,BUT,,i looks like Ill just have the little weeping runs and Id like to make as much syrup as possible,,,Thanks,Parker

Maple Flats
04-03-2005, 06:58 AM
Can't help but I'm interested in hearing what others say. Never had that but it sounds like you didn't get the pan hot enough last time you added sap and it spoiled. As I understand it you need to bring it to a full boil in the pan for several minutes to kill micro-organisims. So far I've been lucky on this one.

sweetwoodmaple
04-03-2005, 08:24 AM
When all else fails for me, I dip a quart or so and finish in the kitchen. Smell the steam and taste the syrup, then you'll know.

Brian

themapleking
04-03-2005, 08:44 AM
Does the sap in the flue pan have alot of balck slime and scum in it. If yes than your sap is bad. You 'll have to drain it clean power wash the pan. Run the sap threw a good water & U.V. filter and try boiling it again.

Chances are it will good back to smelling and black scum.
:x
Your season might be over trees budding, Or you have a few trees that are bad and they're making all of the sap bad. All you need to do is find the sick trees. Looking for a needle in a hay stack :wink:

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
04-03-2005, 06:51 PM
post edited