PDA

View Full Version : grants

kboyer
08-06-2010, 12:36 PM
I am from Ohio and was wondering if anyone knows of grants that are available to help start some one into maple production?

Bucket Head
08-06-2010, 10:02 PM
I don't know of any, but I'm not an expert on this subject, and I'm not from Ohio. New York recently (currently?) had a program that reimbursed folks for part of the purchase price on RO's. They are trying to promote energy efficiency. But these monies were given to established syrup making operations- they had the basic equipment already. Your probably looking at getting a personal loan or a small business loan to get your operation up and running. But I'm not an expert at banking issues either. Ask around, maybe Ohio has options out there that this state does'nt. This state is broke and there's no money for anything!

Steve

3rdgen.maple
08-07-2010, 12:35 AM
I would check with your states maple producers organization. They should point you in the right direction.

DrTimPerkins
08-07-2010, 07:54 AM
I am from Ohio and was wondering if anyone knows of grants that are available to help start some one into maple production?

Check with Dr. Gary Graham of Ohio State University Extension (Wooster office) to see if he knows of anything. Doubtful that there are any $ floating around for this, but you never know.

shane hickey
08-08-2010, 09:54 PM
kboyer I would check the farm service agencie I am from Michigan there are some programs but only larger producers minimal of 6000 taps but for michigan thats big, the 2010 season I had 7300 taps. The program that I was in helped pay for land leases to get larger I average a woods at 90 cents per tap to tap trees this helps you get bigger cause your competing with the loggers then plus yuor raising land rents which most producers cant afford.
I do know you have to have three years of back records and you have to record every woods every year, There is also insurance you can get but the premium is a little higher then i would like to pay, But it was worth it this year.
It's kind of like anything else the bigger you are the more eficiant you become.