PDA

View Full Version : supprised by the number of trees

nace
08-04-2010, 01:21 PM
i got around to marking my trees and was supprised to have 118 maples (sugar, red, black, silver) on 3 acres. most of them will support 2 tap's and a double handfull will support 3. i have one that forks about 3' off the ground and 4 1/2 ' up each side of the fork is over 25". most of the canopie's are 30'+ off the ground. now i guess i must figure out how many to tap because they aren't real easy to get to and i need to get an evaporator. i also have a homesteading neighbor who has 12 acres with an abundance of maple's. i could work a trade of syrup for sap, buy sap, sell sap etc. it will depend on what kind of evaporator i can get for now. may your sap be 3%....nace

red maples
08-04-2010, 03:49 PM
HA I did the same thing when Iwent into count and mark trees I guess I lost count because I counted 150 and ended up with 250:rolleyes: and I still have more to go!!!

Thad Blaisdell
08-04-2010, 05:36 PM
In my neck of the "woods" where there are maple, you can plan on around 75 per acre. I am quite fortunate that I will have a little over 6000 that run directly to my sugar house. The rest I will have to gather at two locations.