PDA

View Full Version : Wet / Dry options question

mapleack
08-01-2010, 01:16 PM
I want to add vacuum to another section of woods this year. There are currently about 200 taps in place in this location, with potential for about 500 total. The existing taps are in with 3/4 mains that tie to a central collection point. To get vacuum there I'm looking at running about 1,200' of pipe from a new tank / releaser point up the hollow to the existing tubing. The 1,200' is on about a 3% grade. My question is: I want the mainline to be blue tubing, so would I be better off to run a 1" wet / dry system and use blue for the wet and black for the dry, or run a single 1.5" blue wet line only. Other than the extra labor, the cost for either option is pretty close, I just want to the do it right for the best sap production when I've expanded the area to its potential. Thanks!

Thad Blaisdell
08-01-2010, 04:12 PM
I would go with the double line up to the main lines. The biggest reason being, first thing in the morning your wet line will be frozen up, the sap will be thawing and will jump up into the dry line and down the hill it comes. And when everything is thawed out you will be back in business with out missing a beat.

brookledge
08-01-2010, 08:01 PM
I agree go with the wet/dry. Some days but not every day my dry line will pull sap at the beginning of the day. I have 4"PVC boosters so when the wet line freezes it has to pull up in the 4" booster before it can flow down the line
Keith