PDA

View Full Version : post and beam or framing?

SIGNGUY
07-28-2010, 10:10 PM
I am going to build a 12x16 sugar house real soon.....Has anyone out there built one of this size recently and figured up which is the cheaper way to go.....framing or post and beam type building....I have to buy all materials. I have not had time to figure it up my self yet and just thought I would throw it out there while i was on the forum for anyone who may of already looked into it.

Can't wait.... first arch and first sugar house....my ten year old boy and I are pretty excited!!
Thanks in advance!!!

Slatebelt*Pa*Tapper
07-29-2010, 06:21 AM
Well for me i got 200 2x4x7's for .25 cents a piece and about 50 2x4x12's for a $1.50 each, so for my shack it was the cheapest and best way to go. I'm a penny pincher myself and rather spend my extra cash else were.

also most of my building supply's were gotten on craigslist.

7 bundles of new 30 year cambridge AR shingles $75.00 for the 7 bundles
10 sheets of 4 ply 1/2" ply @ $10.00 sheet
the 3/8" t1 cost me the most..lowes
8 single pane alum storm windows $10.00 for all
free craigslist, 6 sheets of heavy galvanized painted roofing metal, enough to make my 9x11 wood port for free.

http://www.mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?t=9413

sugarmaker43
07-29-2010, 07:02 AM
If you have the means and skill to do the timber frame option I would go that route. I am on my second sugar house, out grew the first one and they are both timber framed. You spend a lot of time in them and I would rather look at timbers than studs anytime. Also if you have visitors and customers they really love it. I get far more complements about the sugar house than all of the shiny stainless. You can get locally available timbers pretty cheap and if possible go planed smooth or try for band sawed timbers it helps them stay clean. Put shiplap boading over the walls and roof and it will look great. Oh for honesty I should mention that I work for a timber frame shop and yes we do build frames for clients Sugar Houses. Good luck

Brokermike
07-29-2010, 08:15 AM
I went with rough cut hemlock and pine, kind of a blend of traditional framing and timber frame. My shack is 12x18. I built the 12' pieces on the ground, and the 18' sides are two 9' pieces that I lagged together. I ended up with essentially only 6 load bearing points, giving me tons of freedom for windows and doors etc.

Paddymountain
07-29-2010, 02:15 PM
I just about have my 12x16 sugarshack finished. it also has a 6x16 leanto
for wood and head tank, I used pressure treated posts and rough cut hemlock
for the rafters. I used "store bought 2x4's" for the nailers on the roof, they hold screws for the tin better. It has hemlock siding with batten strips. I had the lumber from a 10x10 leanto and I had to buy only 5 sheets of tin for the roof. I didn't add up all the receipts yet, but I think I'm going to be at $1200.
when I'm done.

red maples
07-29-2010, 02:36 PM
extra post!!!

red maples
07-29-2010, 02:36 PM
geez 2 extra posts

red maples
07-29-2010, 02:39 PM
what ever you want !!! If yourcutting beams them your self go timber frame. I personally don't know enough about post and beam to do it althogh I am going to learn soon beacause I am making the barn that way ...but the sugarhouse is stick framed with 2x4's. and wood is very expensive right now WOW!!!

I also find it easier to lift up walls and stuff and just handling in general is easier when your by your self. timber frame is heavy lifting if you don't have the machinery.

Thad Blaisdell
07-29-2010, 05:59 PM
Whatever you build, have in mind future expansion. Put a header on one end so that you can blow out a wall if you ever choose to expand. This will eliminate headaches later.