PDA

View Full Version : What size blower?

Southtowns27
07-28-2010, 10:52 AM
I just got my new-to-me 2.5x8 set up and I'm planning on putting a forced draft blower on but I need to know how to calculate what size I need. The evap has a 2.5x2.5 Leader syrup pan on it, a 2.5x5.5 raised flue Grimm Lightning flue pan, and a 14" x 18' smoke stack. I don't have an airtight front, but I ran a forced draft on my 2x6 (also without an airtight front) with reasonable success. I had the blower on a rheostat and would set it to just below where the flames would want to come out the gaps around the doors. Anyway, if anyone can help, that'd be great. Thanks!

Father & Son
07-28-2010, 09:02 PM
This is a previous post under "Blower" that i have posted numerous times -

CFM's are calculated on stack size not evaporator size

From a previous post -

(The blower size is based on stack size.

The formula to figure stack area is pi x radius squared, pi = 3.1416, so the area of my 7" stack worked out like this

3.1416 x 3.5 x 3.5 = 38.48 square inches

38.48 square inches x 3 cfm/square inch = 115.44 cfm's

Correct me if my math is wrong but this gives you a way to figure what size blower you need.
I bought a 265 cfm blower just to give me some flexability for later improvements.)

With a blower that is oversized you can either put it on a rheostat or put a damper in the duct work to adjust your flow.

I now use this blower on a 2x8 with a 10" stack and still have to damper it down.

This formula was posted on here a few years back by someone with more knowledge than me but I have refered to it many times.

Jim

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
07-29-2010, 09:10 PM
I have a 2x8 Leader and have been running a 745 cfm blower on it. The 2.5 x 8 from Leader come with a 960 cfm blower on it.

Plenty of good Dayton blowers cheap on ebay if you take your time and watch for a few weeks, you can get a steal deal.