PDA

View Full Version : transfer pumps

steve J
07-25-2010, 06:01 PM
What type of pumps are you using to transfer the sap from tank to a head feed tank. I am going to have either a 125 or next size larger poly horizontal tank. It will be approx 8ft behind the sugar house and because it is up on a bank will require lifting the sap about 4 to 5ft. It will be feeding a 50 gallon head tank. I am looking for an affordable solution here as I am over budget in many other areas and the wife is getting that look on her face. And last time she had that it cost me a new livingroom set.

Also the 50 gal tank i am looking at is a rubbermaid tank sold by the tractor supply store. They cold not tell me if its food grade. I have emailed Rubbermaid but have heard nothing back by chance do any of you use this tank?

jrthe3
07-25-2010, 07:07 PM
the rubber maid tanks are a big talk of them being fod grade as far as i know and from waht i have read they are not food grade but many use with out prob i use a clear water pump from harbor frieght it like 30 dollars i been useing the same one for 7 year it works great and it say that it is suitable for drinking water use

brookledge
07-26-2010, 10:11 PM
If you are looking to go cheap you could use a small submersable pump. As long as you have electricity you should be able to come up with a reasonable pump. Stay away from cast iron or steel that may have rust in them as they will likely transfer it into the sap
Keith

red maples
07-27-2010, 09:43 AM
I really hate this topic....and I won't go into any detail but...stainless steel is good. plain steel is bad. yes rust.

if you look back to this past spring there is big discussion on this topic...called "sap transfer pumps"

Ausable
07-27-2010, 12:22 PM
the rubber maid tanks are a big talk of them being fod grade as far as i know and from waht i have read they are not food grade but many use with out prob i use a clear water pump from harbor frieght it like 30 dollars i been useing the same one for 7 year it works great and it say that it is suitable for drinking water use

Hi Boyd -- Sounds what I am looking for -- When You say clear - does that mean a plastic pump and impeller and is it AC or DC - I could go either way - just curious. Just switched to using a feed tank this year and even though it was the worst sap year I ever had - that - dumping sap into a feed tank from a step ladder gets old in a hurry. ----- Mike

Thad Blaisdell
07-27-2010, 12:59 PM
my guess is "clear water" means food grade. not see through

xyz5150
07-27-2010, 01:11 PM
I am thinking about using a sur-flo rv pump. same pump used for 12v sprayers but in a 110 version. has good lift about 13 ft,can be run dry, 3-4 gallons per minute. Fast enough to go from my bulk tanks to my head tank for a 2x4. I have one on my atv sprayer i have sprayed a lot of acres over the last 15 years with no problems.

Haynes Forest Products
07-27-2010, 06:49 PM
I believe they mean clear water free of particulets. Not sand, trash or impeller clogging junk or seal abbrasives.

steve J
07-28-2010, 09:56 AM
Well Rubbermaind has not responded to my email on rather that tank is food grade. So does anyone else have a good source for a 50 gallon stock tank that can be used as a feeder tank?

morningstarfarm
07-28-2010, 12:03 PM
why not use a white food grade 55 gal drum? the bungs are threaded for pipe thread..just cut a hole in the side to fill/vent...works the nuts on mine

steve J
07-28-2010, 12:18 PM
i don't have the room to set up a barrel above the evaporator

red maples
07-28-2010, 02:55 PM
I do have the room but it would be difficult to get to clean it out all the time so mine is outside and I just pipe it in works for me!!!! I put pipe heater wire around the tubing to keep it from freezing on cold nights.

Jeff E
07-28-2010, 04:17 PM
Pumps I have in the woods are stainless. In the sugar house to move sap from one tank to another I have a small 1/3 HP submersible pump. All plastic parts, cheap, easy to flush out when cleaning up. Think it is a Flotec.

DrTimPerkins
08-03-2010, 06:29 PM
The regulations in Vermont (where the original poster is from) state that sap contact/storage materials should be "suitable for the intended purpose", that is, they should be food grade or water potable. There are solutions for sap storage that are only somewhat more expensive than non-approved materials.

Materials will leech from plastics even when used for cold sap. The rate is slower, and you don't notice the smell as much, but they are definitely there.

Always good to keep in mind how the lead problem first crept up.

steve J
08-06-2010, 07:24 AM
Does anyone know a good source for an open troth type 50 gallon tank. Other then stainless stell which is to pricey for me at this time. I really do not have room for anything bigger inside the sugar house and I want this to be the feed tank to the preheater.

Ausable
08-06-2010, 02:54 PM
Does anyone know a good source for an open troth type 50 gallon tank. Other then stainless stell which is to pricey for me at this time. I really do not have room for anything bigger inside the sugar house and I want this to be the feed tank to the preheater.

Steve -- No I don't -- But - I'm using a plastic water tank from a travel or camper trailer. It holds approx 35 gals. Built an outside platform to hold it and it was already set us with a couple of bottom drains. The only real change to the tank was cutting a couple of openings on top for filling with sap and cleaning and a cover for the openings - so far seems to work ok - it could always be bigger of course. ----