PDA

View Full Version : Pan Price?

C.Wilcox
07-22-2010, 09:44 AM
Guys,

I was looking into buying a drop flue / syrup pan for my 2X4. It's an older pan, but has never been used. Lead free soldering, made by Leader, has 8" drop flues and a reversible flow syrup pan. The guy wants $1000 for it. Says he paid $1800 back about 8 years ago. What do you think? Is it worth $1000? I think it's a bit high for a soldered pan, but I've been called cheap before so I thought I'd poll the masses for opinions. I don't really have the opportunity for expansion much beyond my current 50 taps unless I fall off the deep end and buy property further north so this should suit my needs for a long time. Thoughts?

3rdgen.maple
07-22-2010, 10:12 AM
Seems quite high to me especially being a soldered pan. I would get on the phone and call some dealers and find out what a new one cost and proceed from there.

jasonl6
07-22-2010, 12:09 PM
The price list i have here in front of me from a local amish man who does hundreds of pans a year says $780 for a 2X4 drop flue pan. Thats brand new but it is also lead free solder.

Jason

Haynes Forest Products
07-22-2010, 02:26 PM
But its solderd. What does a tig welded 2x4 drop flue cost. I just dont like the solder. No fudge factor when things get a little hot.

3rdgen.maple
07-22-2010, 02:39 PM
Me either Haynes I have wasted to much time in the past resoldering old pans just cause I had to push things a little farther than a solder joint could handle.
If you look on ebay Patrick has a really nice 2x4 pan setup with flues in the back and a finishing pan on the front. Brand new stainless steel tig welded with dividers for 995.

C.Wilcox
07-22-2010, 03:33 PM
Me either Haynes I have wasted to much time in the past resoldering old pans just cause I had to push things a little farther than a solder joint could handle.
If you look on ebay Patrick has a really nice 2x4 pan setup with flues in the back and a finishing pan on the front. Brand new stainless steel tig welded with dividers for 995.

I've never boiled on a soldered pan so I haven't had the joy of watching it melt apart in front of me. I can only imagine the massive heart-attack that I would have if that happened.

I am surprised to see that Patrick has that price for the 2X4 setup. I emailed him earlier this spring to see if he had that kind of set up and he emailed me back a price of almost $2400 for the same pans, but I did ask him to include the cost of two floats so maybe that's what drove the price up. It does look like a nice setup and it appears the pans are "in stock" so that would probably eliminate the delay issues other members have had.

xyz5150
07-22-2010, 04:04 PM
Patrick has two different 2x4 flue pans. the one for 995 has smaller flues and is a single pan.the one for 2400 he calls a pro model has deeper flues and is a two pan system and i think there is about a 10 gal/hr boiling rate difference between the two.

Haynes Forest Products
07-22-2010, 08:32 PM
I would rather see my wife with another man than look under my pans as it sits on the arch and see shinny solder with no soot on it:mad: :mad: :mad:

3rdgen.maple
07-22-2010, 09:39 PM
I think it is a really cool looking setup that Patrick has listed. It has a preheater pan in the back, 8-5"flue pan in the middle and a divide syrup pan in the front. I would like to see it boil its got all the bells and whistles, for 995 bucks I think it would be a great setup for a small producer and get you max boil out of a 2x4 setup.