PDA

View Full Version : More on washing tubing

ennismaple
07-19-2010, 09:12 PM
With all the discussions on other posts about washing or not washing tubing it made me re-think the way we clean up after the season.

What we do is pull the tap and suck water for a few seconds through each dropline starting at the end of each lateral and working towards the mainline. After a few seconds you plug the tap onto the tee cup and move on to the next tap. After all laterals on a section of mainline is completed I suck 10-15 gallons of hot water through the mainline to flush everything to the tank.

Problem is - when I suck the 109-15 gallons through the mainline water will back up each lateral for a distance. Once the slug of water in the mainline passes the laterals will drain but some wash water gets left in the loops of each dropline that has already been washed.

I see 2 alternatives;
1. Keep doing the same thing and don't worry about a bit of wash water in the looped droplines, or:
2. Wash the mainlines first and then the laterals afterwards. This may mean cleaner laterals but the mainlines may not be as clean.

Thoughts? Thanks.

Haynes Forest Products
07-20-2010, 12:07 AM
If you dont completly suck all the sap out and then all the water dont you just have a weak sap solution in the lines? I would walk the lines with 2 people 1 pulls the tap and walks to the next tap letting vacuum suck all the sap out then you come next suck some water in and let it drain to the mainline. Its time consuming but if your going to clean them with water this might work. You know my thoughts about cleaners They all turn nasty in the lines over time plus your going to wash then in the spring anyway.