PDA

View Full Version : Epoxy paint on floor

J. R. Dodge
07-15-2010, 07:02 AM
I am considering sealing the concrete floor in the sugar house with epoxy paint. I am a little concerned that it may be too slippery when wet. Does anyone have any experience with this ?

C.Wilcox
07-15-2010, 07:27 AM
If you don't add some sort of traction additive the floor will be like glass. My in-laws did this with their garage and it is extremely slippery. I am actually shocked that neither of them has fallen and gotten hurt yet.

jasonl6
07-15-2010, 12:00 PM
When i owned an automotive reapir shop we epoxyed the floor. While the paint was still wet we sprinkled sand for traction. Worked great for the remainer of our 1 year lease with allot of traffic. Should last years in a sugar house.

Jason

Randy Brutkoski
07-15-2010, 07:18 PM
Well the concrete was poured for my sugarhouse today. About a wheel barrel full short of mud. Had to improvise. But it looks really good. 24x26 are the dimensions. Lappierre is going to start building my new evaporator sometime in the next 2 weeks. So things are finally starting to move along. I will finally have a place to live when my wife kicks me out of the house for talking about maple too much.

red maples
07-16-2010, 06:39 AM
you can add sand right to the paint. I think they actually sell it with sand added. well I know they used to anyway.

maple flats
07-17-2010, 05:39 PM
Adding sand to the paint will work but you will need to constantly stir or the sand will not stay in suspension. Sprinkling after is much easier and as long as you do it before the paint starts to dry you are good. The sand will actually end up imbedded in the paint and not just on top. I used to do that for wooden steps outdoors for traction. Will work with any type of paint. I find clean swimming pool sand works best, new or used makes no difference. If you have a pool with a sand filter, save the sand, rinse it well and use it for traction. The sand must be completely dry to work.

allgreenmaple
07-18-2010, 06:54 AM
Well the concrete was poured for my sugarhouse today. About a wheel barrel full short of mud. Had to improvise. But it looks really good. 24x26 are the dimensions. Lappierre is going to start building my new evaporator sometime in the next 2 weeks. So things are finally starting to move along. I will finally have a place to live when my wife kicks me out of the house for talking about maple too much. Sounds good Randy. Poured my sugarhouse foundation yesterday, 12 x 26. New pans are supposed to be done next month, hope to have the arch & pans in by the end of August. I will contact you soon about the setup on the job we looked at, all the equipment is at my shop. Landscaping has been so busy, I can hardly think........John

MapleMounder
07-20-2010, 07:42 AM
Dodge, We painted the floor at the firehouse with epoxy from Sherwin-Williams a couple of years ago. They had a traction additive called “Shark Grip”, it was basically a synthetic sand that you mix into the epoxy before you apply it. Once the epoxy is applied to the floor the additive floats up to the top of the surface. It has taken the abuse of the trucks driving over it and held up great for us. It has enough traction for your feet but is still easy to sweep. I just poured a new floor in my sugar house and plan on adding it when I epoxy the floor in a couple weeks.