PDA

View Full Version : Hi There

StayinLowTech
07-11-2010, 10:35 AM
Just want to introduce myself. I am in Central Vermont and in the process of building a sugarhouse. Have been a backyard, out in the open, sugarer for years and also "worked" in neighbor's sugarhouses. My 12' x 16' shack just needs the doors and windows and then I can look for an evaporator and finish the road through the bush. Plan on starting with 175 taps on a pipeline and a few buckets this spring if all proceeds as planned. All in all it would be of course cheaper to just work off syrup from my neighbors but then I wouldn't know what to do with the rest of the year. Thanks for an informative site, StayinLowTech.

red maples
07-11-2010, 10:39 AM
Welcome...lots of great folks here. Sounds like your maple addiction is growing just perfectly. Ask away... seasoned veteran tappers and newbies like myself. We are all enablers so don't expect any help trying to get out of the maple business:lol:

brookledge
07-11-2010, 06:58 PM
There is not a better place to get info on maple syrup. Even the seasoned vets. can learn new things. I've been at it for 36 years. I started out with 25 or so taps and I'm up to 1150 which is still not big but I want to keep it at a hobby. Once it becomes a job it is not as fun.
Keith

steve J
07-12-2010, 07:08 AM
Welcome low tech I am not far from you and also a small producer who is starting to grow a little. You will love this site there are some great mentors here