PDA

View Full Version : Melting older maple candy into new

Snow Hill Farm
07-10-2010, 05:02 PM
I sell maple candy at a farmers market and candy sales have been slow this year. I now have some candy that's 5-6 weeks old and wondered if the next time I make a batch would it hurt to throw the old candy in the syrup I'm boiling for the next batch?

maplecrest
07-10-2010, 05:46 PM
done that when making cream

brookledge
07-10-2010, 06:37 PM
I would atleast taste it first. But after that much time on the shelf I'd toss it. the candy begins to grow mold on it and usually you need a micrscope to see it at first.
Keith

Father & Son
07-11-2010, 04:29 AM
I've tried that before and once in a while I would get batch failures, it wouldn't set up right so the maple candy and cream that doesn't get used in a short time I put in syrup and make a batch of granulated sugar.

Jim

red maples
07-11-2010, 10:43 AM
5-6 weeks should taste fine but starts to get hard as we al know...if you add distilled water and bring it back to slightly thicker syrup and then add it in it works better I have found... rather than just adding it in.

Snow Hill Farm
07-23-2010, 07:39 AM
Well I learned my lesson.... It didn't work and the candy wouldn't set up. I guess I'll heat it up again with some water and get it hot enough to make some granulated sugar for my oatmeal!

ToadHill
07-23-2010, 08:10 AM
If it didn't set up it is most likely because the invert sugar level is to high. If you attend one of the Cornell Maple Confection workshops they are highly recommended. You will learn how to conduct a simple test for invert sugar and you will get a manual that will tell you what invert levels are acceptable for different products.

220 maple
07-24-2010, 06:56 AM
How much old candy? My plan this summer was to trade out any candy that didn't sell and boil it back into the next batch. I have not had to remelt any because it has been moving quickly, but everytime I make candy I take all the small peices that are left over from pouring in the molds and any excess that is left in the auger and put it in the next batch. I also take hot water and clean the candy machine, I have been saving that water and freezing until next season. I was planning on sending it back thru the evaporator with fresh sap? Good idea or not???? I have two gallon of frozen water-syrup already.

Mark 220 Maple

Snow Hill Farm
07-26-2010, 06:12 AM
I put approx. (8) 3 oz older candies in with a half gallon of medium amber. After bringing to the correct temp. and stirring I poured in the molds and put in the freezer. After a half hour I checked and they were not setting up and were like tar. I left them until the next day and they were extremely difficult to wash out of the molds with hot water. A few did come out of the molds but were clear and resembled brown glass.... Up to this point I had made dozens of batches without aproblem....

Amber Gold
07-26-2010, 07:03 AM
I've done it before with no issues.

You used medium amber so maybe the invert sugar wasn't correct.

Mapleman(Greg)
08-18-2010, 09:24 AM
I grind mine up and sell it as dehydrated syrup you just add water to a consistancy you like and heat it for about 30 seconds in the microwave.
Maple Man(Greg)
Http://www.mapletreats.info