PDA

View Full Version : blackberry jam

maplemat1
07-10-2010, 05:39 AM
just finished first batch of blackberry jam smelled so good.have gotten about a gallon and a half so far out of the sugarbush with a lot of red ones still to ripen .hopefully the rain yesterday push them along .just something to do in the dreaded between season!!!! :lol:

3rdgen.maple
07-10-2010, 12:56 PM
My dad planted alot of blackberries next to the garden years and years ago. Now that I own the place i get to enjoy some of the fruits of his labor. Usually they dont ripen here until after the 4 of july but started picking them about a week early. Everyday I am able to fill a gallon pail of them with enough left for the birds. Thing is though since we have had so much rain they are just not that sweet this year. Juicy though. Im am already getting tired of blackberry pies, blackberries on cereal, blackberries in pancakes etc etc. Also tired of freezing them and making jam. Oh and blackberry stained fingers gets some funny looks as well.

KenWP
07-10-2010, 09:27 PM
I will come pick them. I have wild ones here and they are always ripe on the hottest days and I have to wear gloves and overalls to pick them. Another reason I moved to Quebec. It has wild berries and grows apples and maples.

sap retreiver
07-10-2010, 09:37 PM
rasberries are doing good here but blackberrys haven't even come close. thank the lord my boy loves them cause yes my clothes hands and mouth are all stained. like you said we need something to do in the off season, march is coming soon right?

red maples
07-11-2010, 10:49 AM
I have tons of raspberry plants but I have been planning to move them to a better location ever since i moved in here, and get them in some better soil in rows and what ever so I can take care of them better. I just haven't had time yet. planning on that venture for next year as I piled all my wood where I wanted to put the rasp. plants. I get some berries but they are very small. the weeds are just taking them over!!! also going to get a few dozen blue berry bushes as well. may some blackberry too nobody around here does those that I know of!!!