PDA

View Full Version : Thermometer ports

Farmboy
06-21-2010, 03:47 PM
I got a new to me evaporator. Its a G.H. Grimm lighting Raised flue. I dont see any thermometer ports on the finish pan or on the float/ drawoff box. How do i use a thermometer with these pans. SOmeone else on here must have the same evaporator. Thanks

Buffalo Creek Sugar Camp
06-21-2010, 05:50 PM
I have an older set of Grimm pans and I soldered fittings in to thread the dial thermometer into.

maple flats
06-22-2010, 06:20 PM
I also soldered in fittings. However there are thermometers that clip to the side and reach down into the pans to give a reading too. However I do not know if the have enough of the probe in the boiling sap/syrup to be accurate. To solder, try using a soldering iron rather than a torch, you will get a much better job generally. On the iron, use salamoniac as a flux and then apply the solder to the iron which transfers it to the SS.

Haynes Forest Products
06-22-2010, 07:19 PM
If you dont want to go the welding or soldering way you do have options:) Goggle bulkhead fittings Stainless steel.......scroll down to Thru-wall bulkhead fittings and look at the fittings. You can also go to Northern brewer homebrew supply. If you can use it to make beer you can use it for syrup............yup its food grade.

You can also use the 1/2 fitting to add a draw off to the finish pan.

DrTimPerkins
06-23-2010, 01:59 PM
.....If you can use it to make beer you can use it for syrup............yup its food grade.

As long as it will take the heat.

Farmboy
06-28-2010, 08:38 PM
Im going to get a thermometer that clips onto the side or something of that nature with a digital readout. It will be easier ti set. Also some have alarms i can set so once I figure out what temp to drawoff at each day i will set the alarm. That will get my attension if i get distracted.

maple flats
06-29-2010, 05:36 AM
If trying that try bending the probe to have a couple inches flat in the bottom of the pan. The Maple Guys do that for their Accucup hydrometer cup and it works well. If you would rather not bend one consider ordering one pre bent from The Maple Guys. I don't know if they offer one with an alarm. Ask Chris how he bends them and how much to bend.

Amber Gold
06-29-2010, 07:09 AM
I have the same evap. you have. I'd have someone weld/solder thermometer ports in the float box. That's what I did with mine and they work great. You will need the 9" stem because the 6" isn't quite long enough. I don't think the digital thermometer clipped onto the pan will work well as you will not be able to immerse enough of the probe to get an accurate reading.

3rdgen.maple
06-29-2010, 09:50 AM
Im bad on names but doesnt the same people who make the accucup sell a thermometor port that all you do is drill a hole stick the fitting in and thread a locknut on the otherside. It has a seal in it that surrounds the stem of the thermometer so it doesnt move and stops it from leaking, but can be easily pulled out without having to get a wrench and unscrewing the thermometer.

maple flats
06-29-2010, 08:44 PM
Im bad on names but doesnt the same people who make the accucup sell a thermometor port that all you do is drill a hole stick the fitting in and thread a locknut on the otherside. It has a seal in it that surrounds the stem of the thermometer so it doesnt move and stops it from leaking, but can be easily pulled out without having to get a wrench and unscrewing the thermometer.
Read 2 posts up, their name is there.
How quickly we forget the ones who founded this great forum.