PDA

View Full Version : Dark vs. Light syrup

forester1
06-20-2010, 09:43 AM
My first year at the local farmers market and the big surprise so far, is the demand for dark syrup. I only made 12 gallons of it out of 185 total but the dark (B or C) is now sold out. I priced it the same as my other grades (mostly medium amber). I give out free tastes and 100% of kids liked it better than medium amber. Local bakers and restaurants snapped it up gallons at a time. I don't understand why wholesale prices are the reverse of this, maybe it's a local thing.

Haynes Forest Products
06-20-2010, 01:57 PM
I think its a cycle thing. We have a big reseller and producer in Door County and they are always dispareging small producers for their inability to produce LITE syrup. I believe that the cost differance will take 5 years before the attitudes of the wholesalers will change. Because they also had to meet the demand for lite syrup they would pay high for the lite and lower for the dark and mix the two makeing a higher profit. I dont fault them for it. It happens in all parts of every day life If you can go to Home Depot and get a hot water heater for $400.00 a plumber has a harder time charging $800 plus install.

I see a time down the road as customers demand dark B with the heavy taste that wholesalers will pay more for the dark to mix with the lite. Reminds me of the gold mines down in Colombia back in the day when they had this useless by product that they tossed in the hills after the gold and silver was extracted.......................Platinum and Paladium they found out if you mixed it with brass the cannons would last longer

DrTimPerkins
06-20-2010, 08:24 PM
...I see a time down the road as customers demand dark B with the heavy taste that wholesalers will pay more for the dark to mix with the lite.

This has already started to some degree. If you look at the price differential between light and dark syrup it is fairly flat now compared to what it was 5+ years ago. Just a year ago the price was the same for all grades around here.

Part of the reason that light syrup is worth more.....it's possible to make a light syrup darker (through further processing), but you can never make a dark syrup lighter (legally anyhow).

Revi
06-20-2010, 08:40 PM
I think the reason dark syrup is in demand is that with RO and a number of other techniques it's possible to turn out a lot of light and medium amber. The syrup doesn't have to boil as long, so it doesn't carmelize as much.

The dark is in demand nowadays by chefs and people who want a stronger maple taste, and there isn't as much around as there used to be.

That's my theory. We sell it all for the same price, except for the grade B quarts which we let go for less.

brookledge
06-20-2010, 09:19 PM
Personally I believe that if you did a blindfold test on some people they would rank dark A #1. There is still alot of belief that the "first run" is the best. Well I think medium and dark have more flavor than light. That is one of the reasons I don't like the term dark A I have people think that it is very dark and will sometimes shy away from it until they taste it.
Keith

red maples
06-21-2010, 10:28 AM
I see light retail a bit higher in places that sell all grades. I sell grades A and B at the same price I do sell some Commercial here and there but for less.

My theory on grade B is that it's not a lesser quality of syrup than all grade A's and I feel it shouldn't be treated as such. just beacuse its darker and has a more complex flavor it's a matter of preference by the consumer!!! I think in more recient times maple syrup is more availiable in all the grades and the consumer is more educated on syrup...beacuse they didn't know there was a choice in color, flavor etc. with that said I think there are alot more sap houses open to the public and through our state maple associations and publicizing so much more to get the word out there about maple weekends and it helps the 50,000+ big guys as well as the 250 tap small guys it sorta levels the playing feild a bit.

I think this is one good thing about the new grading system is that it doesn't discriminate against grade B its just full bodied very robust!!! not junky grade B as some may consider it. I have had folks come to the sugar house and said they never tried grade B they always buy light beacuse it was said to be the best and they once they try it they usually walk out with quart of B:)

Big_Eddy
06-21-2010, 10:42 AM
In my house - there are always 2 jugs on the table. My wife and one son only use the light, myself and the other 3 boys always reach for the darker. We all know what we prefer, we don't argue about which is better. The only arguments happen when we're out of one and still have lots of the other. We made almost nothing but light last year, this year was mostly dark.

adk1
06-21-2010, 11:11 AM
I think you get more bang for the buck! I ahve always prefered Grade A Medium to darker syrups.
I must say though, that I was given some B this year and I tried to make a Maple Pudding cake. It was abit too much.

oldemaple
06-21-2010, 07:20 PM
I sell most of my syrup at farmers' markets and I really enjoy educating the public on this thing we call "sugaring". Back 100 years ago when I started in this business we didn't have Grade A Light, Grade A Medium, Grade A Dark and Grade B. Back then it was Grade A, Grade B and Grade C. What we have now as Grade B back then was a commercial grade and could only be sold to someone like General Foods for their use. With the grades as they were back then, it's easy to see why people wanted the lighter syrups. After all, when you went to school, wouldn't you rather get an A than a B or C? People naturally thought that Grade A syrup was superior to Grade B or Grade C. With the grading system that we have now it's only the Grade B that some people who haven't tried it think is of inferior quality. If the national and international associations have their way, today's Grade B will be moved up to the Grade A status also. When I have people sample the various grades from medium amber to Grade B, I tell them it's medium, dark and extra dark, which is Grade B. Once they try it, 9 out of 10 people will take the Grade B. It's just the stigma that the letter B has compared to the letter A.

farmall h
06-21-2010, 07:31 PM
oldemaple, are you really 100 years old? Grade A is what I prefer...has more body to it and doesn't get soaked up in the pancake, Yum.

Thad Blaisdell
06-22-2010, 05:47 AM
I believe it is much easier to sell what you like personally... people who are buying look at you as being the "expert" so if they dont have a preference they will buy what you are most excited about.

red maples
06-22-2010, 09:13 AM
if your good you can sell what grade you have alot of;) and besides I like them all but love dark and B on my pancakes you don't loose the flavor!!! but by it self I love medium A it has the best pure "maple" flavor.

3rdgen.maple
06-22-2010, 08:17 PM
I personally like medium the best. It is somewheres in between the 2 obviously. It is also pretty easy to mix your light with dark and get medium. Never had a problem selling medium.

brookledge
06-22-2010, 08:55 PM
Like Brad was saying the grade B will be considered grade A under the new grading standards. I think a lot of producers are against the new changes because it will mean buying a new grade kit and for many have to make new silk screens for their jugs. After a while everyone will get use to it. I agree that many customers think of gradeB as a lower quality and therefore expect it to be sold cheaper or just shy away from it period.
Keith

red maples
06-23-2010, 07:38 AM
Like Brad was saying the grade B will be considered grade A under the new grading standards. I think a lot of producers are against the new changes because it will mean buying a new grade kit and for many have to make new silk screens for their jugs. After a while everyone will get use to it. I agree that many customers think of gradeB as a lower quality and therefore expect it to be sold cheaper or just shy away from it period.
Keith

Like anything that involves government this will take some time!!!! I asked my Ag rep. and she said it could and probably will takes years for this to happen. the way the literature states now and she said she had to double check this but the grading color will stay the same. its just a name change. so you may still be able to use the same grading kit.

brookledge
06-23-2010, 07:46 PM
Brad
The light transmission percentages will change under the new grades. It would be much simpler if they were only changing the names but they are not. So that is why you will need to buy a new grade kit, etc. when the changes go through. While I agree it will take some time to fully implement, I think it will be sooner than some think. At the last NAMSC meeting it was presented and most states didn't protest. I'm on the board of directors for Mass. Maple and we wrote a letter stating our dislike of the new proposal but when the big states like Vermont don't fight it there is not much the small states can do. There is still a lot to decide like when it takes place will there be a phase in period so producers can use up existing stock of jugs and labels or just do it.
Unfortuantly for some they have made their silk screen for their jugs to state the grade like Grade A Medium Amber. And if it is something else then they have to label it as such. Probably 75% of most retail is med A so that is why many have their jugs made that way.
Keith

ennismaple
06-23-2010, 08:05 PM
I'm holding off on getting custom labels made for our glass bottles until I get a definitive answer on when the changes will be implimented. There will have to be a phase in period or a lot of suppliers will get stuck with bug bucks worth of stock.

red maples
06-24-2010, 06:57 AM
Brad
The light transmission percentages will change under the new grades. It would be much simpler if they were only changing the names but they are not. So that is why you will need to buy a new grade kit, etc. when the changes go through. While I agree it will take some time to fully implement, I think it will be sooner than some think. At the last NAMSC meeting it was presented and most states didn't protest. I'm on the board of directors for Mass. Maple and we wrote a letter stating our dislike of the new proposal but when the big states like Vermont don't fight it there is not much the small states can do. There is still a lot to decide like when it takes place will there be a phase in period so producers can use up existing stock of jugs and labels or just do it.
Unfortuantly for some they have made their silk screen for their jugs to state the grade like Grade A Medium Amber. And if it is something else then they have to label it as such. Probably 75% of most retail is med A so that is why many have their jugs made that way.
Keith

Well I haven't talked to her since February. but thamks for the update!!!

Amber Gold
06-24-2010, 10:36 AM
I bought the USDA permanent set new last year. Will I be able to buy just the colored, plastic sheets instead of an entire set?

brookledge
06-24-2010, 07:07 PM
I can't answer that but I'm going to keep using temporary kits until the new standards take place
Keith

ejmaple
06-24-2010, 07:38 PM
i'am sold out of dark and grade b, they both have been highly sought after at the local farmers market. hardly anyone asked for light.

3rdgen.maple
06-24-2010, 10:33 PM
I bought the USDA permanent set new last year. Will I be able to buy just the colored, plastic sheets instead of an entire set?

I was told at the Verona Conference by the guys who make the permanent set that they will be still be good to use for the new grading standard without any changes to them. We shall see I guess.

red maples
06-25-2010, 07:18 AM
yeah see thats what I was told too!!! that basiclly just the names will change. but like I said that was back in late feb. But I will just continue with the temperary grading kits until they figure out what they are going to do!!!

brookledge
06-25-2010, 08:43 PM
There is definately a change in the percentages of light transmission between grade. The present percentages are
Greater than 75% Light Amber
60.5 to 74.9% Medium Amber
44 to 60.4% Dark Amber
43.9 to 27% Grade B
less than 27% commercial
http://www.internationalmaplesyrupinstitute.com/content/en/news.aspx?noNew=78
The new standards are
greater than 75% delicate golden
50 to 74.9% rich Amber
25.1 to 49.9 robust dark
25% or lower strong very dark
So when you look at the differences for instance what was medium will now be medium plus half of the dark amber. Basicly expanding the new grades so that there is only 4 grades vs. now there is 5 grades.
So I don't see how they can say you will be able to continue using the grade kits.
The present grades are listed on page 172 in the newest NAMSPM
Keith