PDA

View Full Version : tapping near major body of water

howden86
03-31-2005, 09:16 AM
I was wondering if there is any information on tapping near a major body of water. I have been tapping 3 miles from one for years and it seams I every year a only get a pint of syrup per tap . I evan have 2 seperate bushs both with about 20 inches of vaccum. One bush has long line with old spile and the other has short lines 5-7 taps per line and the production is the same. I just wonder if I should give it up and move

forester1
03-31-2005, 10:20 AM
Could be a lot of factors at work. I've heard where trees right down on the edge of a creek produce more sap. I think it may be more possible your crowns are crowded and need released. Big crown trees produce more, and sweeter sap. If you are talking big body of water like the great lakes it might be possible that the lake is moderating the temperature so you don't have the big swing in freeze/thaw. This would happen if the lake nearby don't freeze. I'm not sure how much that would affect the sap flow. I know where I live it gets colder in the winter and at night than just 20 miles away at lake superior. Hotter in the summer too. I know of a couple sugarbushes in the lake effect zone so the trees do flow but I don't know what their production is.

John Burton
04-10-2005, 07:29 PM
I agree about brook trees I have 50 on buckets right on a brook every day since march 4. 25 to 50 gal a day best trees i had all year now if i only had 250 more of those suckers...

dads hobby
04-11-2005, 10:04 PM
I don't know about the great lakes area but I tap right on the shore of a lake in nothern Ontario not a great lake but fairly big and get anywhere from 1pint to 3 gallons per tap depending on the tree. The lake I am on freezes to about 3 to 4 feet during the winter and the ice has not left yet . I think it may depend more on the weather condition and the trees.