PDA

View Full Version : Surge Alamo Rebuild Parts

Dennis H.
06-13-2010, 12:39 PM
I have been cleaning and checking the Surge Alamo vac pump that I picked up at an auction and I am haveing a few questions about the bearings and seals on this vac pump.

The Bearings that I found in the pump are a Pithchlign SJ-7255 SS and a ND 5204. The seals on both sides are a C/R 518757.

Now here is the big question how does the bearings get lube? The SJ-7255 has a seal on the non-drive pulley side of the bearing, which would keep the oil that is being fed into the vac pump from getting to the bearing besides the bearing is double sealed so not sure why there is even a seal on the side to begin with.

Then there is the side of the pump with the cap. The bearing is a sheilded bearing with no seals but the seal in again on the vac pump side of the bearing so no oil from pump ??

I did find a very small hole on each side of the pump that goes into where the bearing is, It looks like a vent hole to me.

I am wondering if these bearings should even have seals and what does that extra seperate seal really do. I will get a few pics for you to look at them.

Dennis H.
06-13-2010, 01:29 PM
Here are a few pics.

The 1st 3 pics are of the non pulley side of the pump.
The 1st pic is the cover without the dust cap on.
The 2nd pic is of the bearing and seal in with the retainer ring that holds the seal and bearing in place.
This is my one question how does the bearing get lube with the seal on the pump side of the bearing?

The next 2 pic are of the pulley side.
The one is of the cover from the out side. You can see a flat spot where I guess on another model that it may have a treaded hole for a zerk fitting or an oil line?
The last pic is of the inside of the cover with the bearing and seal removed They are in the order that they were removed, again seal is on the pump side of the bearing?

Is this correct? are these bearings lube'ed for life when they are new? Is there a way to add active lube'ing while the pump is running?

Dennis H.
06-13-2010, 01:33 PM
Almost forgot, where is a good place to get new vanes for these pumps?

I know I can get them from Hamby Dairy supplies as a kit but I was looking to see if there is any place where I can just get the vanes.

Thanks.

brookledge
06-15-2010, 09:50 PM
On mine it has grease fittings in the ends so that I can grease the bearings. I give them a shot once a week. I don't know if the grease fittings were added by the previous owner or not but I have used it for over 10 yrs and it is still going strong. How bad are your vanes? I also remember I was able to get the bearings and seals from the local auto supply
Keith

Dennis H.
06-16-2010, 07:12 AM
I finally was able to find locally the bearings. A little pricey I think one is $40 and the other is $18.

The only holes on my are a very tiny hole, maybe 1/16", on each side. I thought they were just vents but someone that I was talking to thinks that they are oiling holes.
I think will leave out the seals. I will be drilling and tapped holes on each side for small compression fittings. I want to hook up small tubing for active oiling while it is running. My thinking is that the oil will be sucked in thru the bearings and then into the vac pump for lub'ing then out the outlet to the oil reclaimer that I will be making

Haynes Forest Products
06-16-2010, 08:25 AM
Dennis use copper or steel for the lines. You can get some nice premade brake lines from auto parts store. DONT use plastic it will melt.

maple flats
06-16-2010, 08:51 AM
Try Kaman Bearing, branches all over. Or any bearing company. Order by bearing # and you will get a lot better price. If you need a bearing you don't have the number for use the race # and overall width. I have bought bearing this way for lots of equipment and the prices are always the best you can get. You can even register online and order on line. You will get the price the dealers and local distributers pay before they mark the price up 2-4 times, sometimes even more. For example, I tried to get a bearing for a 3 pt hitch cement mixer from a farm dealer and was quoted a price of $29 plus UPS, i needed 2, and they had to order them and I might get them in 3-4 days. Then I remembered Kaman Bearing, went to them, bought the bearings for $5 each and they had them in stock. You can get bearing for anything there, any type of bearing. Sometimes the local branch might not have it in stock but they order from another branch and have it in short order. You can also order with no numbers, just exact dimensions in thousandths or metric.