PDA

View Full Version : Pool Filter

jasonl6
06-09-2010, 05:29 PM
I was at an auction this afternoon and bought a pool pump for sap transfere. It came along with a 10-15gal pool filter. It's the type that uses sand.

Has anyone tried to use diatomaceous earth in one of these and filter sap through it? It will do 50-70 gallons per min. I thought i had seen someplace where someone tried this but can't come up with the source.

Thanks
Jason

brookledge
06-09-2010, 07:07 PM
As far as I know you shouldn't use sand filters for sap filtering. I have a D.E filter that I use and filter the sap before the R.O. and it helps a lot with keeping the flow high. I have never had a sand filter apart. If it had those plastic fingers with the socks over them than it might work
Keith

Haynes Forest Products
06-09-2010, 10:10 PM
As long as the filter is cleaned out and The DE cant migrate from the filter WHY NOT................but remember that a pool filter is for the big chunks and the chemicals keep the bacteria down. I wonder what the DE would look like after a few days of grouth:o

3rdgen.maple
06-09-2010, 10:48 PM
I wonder too Haynes. I would think you would constantly be trying to clean and change the sand or de out of this sand filter just to keep the bacteria down and giving you some funky flavored syrup. Im sure if it was worthy of working in the maple industry there would be some on the shelves of maple dealers with just a different name on them. I had one hooked up to my koi pond and without the fish killing chemicals it wasnt even worthy for the fishy's and that was with a 4000 gph pump behind it.

Haynes Forest Products
06-10-2010, 08:38 AM
I made my bottler out of a pool filter housing. It had 1 1/2" ports top and bottom. The biggest draw back was the bottom was concave like a wine bottle so it didnt drain right. It was tall and scarry up on the burner. Its going to the scrap pile.

jasonl6
06-10-2010, 08:52 AM
I wondered about the bacteria growing too. I got it along with a pump (that i will use for sap transfer) but thought possibly it would work. Looks like a yardsale item now :-)

thanks for the info
jason

brookledge
06-10-2010, 09:03 PM
As far as a DE filter goes it is one of the best ways to clean your sap. I know a lot of producers who have been using them for yrs. and since I was adding a RO this yr it was worth my investment. Grant you it adds some maintainence but the amount of sap that will go through it compared to a cartridge filter like I previously used makes it cheaper to use. It is not something that a small producer would want to use since it would need to be cleaned before it plugs up.
Keith

morningstarfarm
06-10-2010, 09:25 PM
are pool filters food grade?......couldn't resist:D

ejmaple
06-24-2010, 04:47 PM
if anyone is looking for used cheap pool filters and pumps, (cart, sand, or de) shoot me a pm. our company has many.

maple flats
06-24-2010, 07:46 PM
Pool DE is not food grade. If you use a DE filter for sap, use filter aid which IS food grade.