PDA

View Full Version : Any Word on Patrick Phaneuf

concord maple
06-09-2010, 05:04 PM
Sent several e-mails the last two weeks to him with no response, and called his cell phone number twice today. A lady answered the cell number I called but she spoke French and, of course, I didn't understand what she was saying and she hung up on me both times. Was trying to find out the status of a pan that I ordered from him. So I was wondering if anyone had contact with him in the last two weeks.

brookledge
06-09-2010, 07:13 PM
Sounds familiar
Keith

allgreenmaple
06-09-2010, 07:14 PM
Sent several e-mails the last two weeks to him with no response, and called his cell phone number twice today. A lady answered the cell number I called but she spoke French and, of course, I didn't understand what she was saying and she hung up on me both times. Was trying to find out the status of a pan that I ordered from him. So I was wondering if anyone had contact with him in the last two weeks. Talked to him a week ago when I placed my order. Try his regular phone #, I've had no trouble getting ahold of him.

concord maple
06-09-2010, 07:37 PM
No answer on regular phone# either after several attempts. It was good to know you talked to him last week. My first e-mail that he never responded to was about 2 weeks ago.

heus
06-09-2010, 08:11 PM
He was up to 91.7% positive on Ebay as of last week. Much higher then before. That is a percentage from the past 12 months I think. Good luck.

killingworthmaple
06-09-2010, 09:16 PM
I have been emailing back and forth for the last 2 weeks. This really makes me think twice about placing the order. He says my pans would be done in Aug. When do you think they will really come.

Nathan

heus
06-09-2010, 09:36 PM
Nathan,
If he is shipping them maybe by Sept or Oct, if delivering himself bet on December or Jan

Haynes Forest Products
06-09-2010, 09:57 PM
Punch in *67 first before you call him so he doesnt know its you.............................He might answer;)

3rdgen.maple
06-09-2010, 10:54 PM
He's probably in the shop working 24/7 trying to get your pan done in time for delivery. LOL Weird though sometimes I call him or email him and he replys the same day other times it takes him a week after several times trying to make contact. He has always appologized and just says hes really busy. Either way he got my stuff done and delivered before crunch time. When you email him again make a comment you are looking to purchase something else and see if he gets back to you. Worked for me. I think he needs a receptionist or something.

Revi
06-10-2010, 06:44 AM
I have been to his shop in Ste. Margarite, Quebec. I saw our evaporator being built. He delivered our evap on his way to Old Orchard Beach.

Fred Henderson
06-10-2010, 07:03 AM
He's probably in the shop working 24/7 trying to get your pan done in time for delivery. LOL Weird though sometimes I call him or email him and he replys the same day other times it takes him a week after several times trying to make contact. He has always appologized and just says hes really busy. Either way he got my stuff done and delivered before crunch time. When you email him again make a comment you are looking to purchase something else and see if he gets back to you. Worked for me. I think he needs a receptionist or something.

What he needs is a class in PR

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
06-10-2010, 07:37 AM
What he needs is a class in PR

No, he probably thinks it ain't broke, so don't fix it! Either way, he is probably making a ton of money, so why should he care what others think about him. Good PR would only put him about 5 years behind.

whalems
06-10-2010, 07:37 AM
I had a similar problem with him. E-mailed for a qoute for a pan for a vermont arch. Got the price and he said he could deliver it this summer when he delivered something else to Vermont. :confused: I E-mailed him back telling him I have a Vermont style arch. I don't live in Vermont I live in northern Michigan. 3-4 E-mails and phone calls later still no response on something as simple as Shipping charges I ordered from WF Mason. Pan will be here in a few weeks.:)

Fred Henderson
06-10-2010, 09:02 AM
No, he probably thinks it ain't broke, so don't fix it! Either way, he is probably making a ton of money, so why should he care what others think about him. Good PR would only put him about 5 years behind.

I still think he needs a class in PR. His two young son's would have a greater legacy in which to live by. If you say something it should mean something. Don't just move your lips as a means of excerise.

3rdgen.maple
06-10-2010, 10:57 AM
Fred I cannot disagree with you. PR would be good and maybe it would increase business as well and grow the business. But maybe he likes the size of it now, little overhead small payroll who knows.

red maples
06-10-2010, 12:41 PM
which is really too bad because he does beautiful work. I understand that he doesn't like to turn away business either would I, but if you can't handle the work load then maybe he should only take what jobs he can guarrentee he will get done in a timely fashion instead of people constantly calling and pestering.

I worked for a guy in the machine shop(just so happened to be my father in-law) who couldn't get anything done unless he had so much pressure from people calling and bother him where he would get so worked up and stressed out that he would get the 10-15 pairs of heads done in a week. Not to say this is what he does but...

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
06-10-2010, 12:51 PM
Fred,

I wasn't disagreeing with you in any manner and totally agree with you. I was just making a point that maybe he does it for a reason or doesn't care what others think or say.

jlemieux
06-10-2010, 03:09 PM
I just can't figure out why people keep dealing with this idiot, everybody has the same complaints with him. Just forget about Phaneuf and call Bill Mason, he is a great guy.

brookledge
06-10-2010, 09:18 PM
I'd try Haynes idea. Do what ever your phone system needs to make it non identible. He may have caller Id and be screening the calls.
Another idea you can do to check on someone like him is to either send a email or a phone call from a different address saying you want a new evaporator while at the same time inquire on your order from your adress
If he answers the call for a new order but not your call to find out where your order is then you know he is avoiding you.
Keith

3rdgen.maple
06-10-2010, 09:20 PM
If you seen his work you might understand. You get alot more bang for your dollar and after all you cant use the stuff till spring anyways and he knows it. So in reality does it stop you from making syrup if you didnt get your pans in August and instead got them in november. I really dont think so. As far as calling him the idiot makes me scratch my head a little since the ones complaining are still ordering. I also think there is a misconception that he took your money and now doesnt answer the phone or return email. It seems he just shuts down the phone and email for a couple weeks at a time and Im guessing goes elbow deep into filling orders then when hes caught up the cycle starts over again. Believe me Im not in agreement with such antics but rather sharing some input.

Haynes Forest Products
06-10-2010, 11:23 PM
I think paying 100% up front is a bad idea. If the guy cant build a evap with 1/2 down then I would avoid him. He needs some skin in the game.

3rdgen.maple
06-10-2010, 11:45 PM
I would too Haynes. He only asked for a deposit from me and the rest upon delivery and after it passed my inspection. The guy even felt bad about being late on delivery and threw in some much needed upgrades I did not think about and 75 aluminum sap buckets free of charge. I also have yet to see a better built comparable evaporator and I have seen alot of them.

red maples
06-11-2010, 06:29 AM
3rdgen are you going bigger this year? I know you were talking about it earlier.

3rdgen.maple
06-11-2010, 09:19 AM
Well that was the big plan at the begining of the season. I think I might have to put it off one more year. I want a 3x8 for sure. I keep adding and adding taps. I will not take out a loan or spend mysavings on maple equipment and since this past season was a flop there was no enough income on that end to pay for the new rig. It kinda sucks cause if you are watching pricing on equipment you will notice pricing on the rise. Patrick has offered me a real nice trade in for mine towards a new 3x8 deluxe. I am gonna put or try to put half my taps from last year on vac. so we shall see how things turn out next time around. I get sap from neighbors as well and they are planning on ading another 100 taps. Last year was their first year tapping trees on their land for me and I cannot exlain to them enough that do not make any conclusions on the season past. I know you are thinking RO but I refuse. I like traditional maple syrup production and so do my customers. Time will tell Red.

Fred Henderson
06-11-2010, 02:56 PM
I can not say this enough that Patrick is and excellent SS welder and builder of maple syrup equipment. From a few phone conversations with him I gathered that anyone can just walk into his shop and talk with him about what he builds. That being said a guy can get a long ways behind in his schedule explaining this and that to potential costumers. Someone needs to be out front doing the explains and he needs to stick to his schedule. He can do one or the other but not both and that is where the PR comes into bearing. If you try to do to many thing something or someone is going suffer or wait extra time. Do what you say you will and deliver when you say you will. Sorry for the rant.

allgreenmaple
06-11-2010, 03:20 PM
I can not say this enough that Patrick is and excellent SS welder and builder of maple syrup equipment. From a few phone conversations with him I gathered that anyone can just walk into his shop and talk with him about what he builds. That being said a guy can get a long ways behind in his schedule explaining this and that to potential costumers. Someone needs to be out front doing the explains and he needs to stick to his schedule. He can do one or the other but not both and that is where the PR comes into bearing. If you try to do to many thing something or someone is going suffer or wait extra time. Do what you say you will and deliver when you say you will. Sorry for the rant. I would say you are likely right. As a self employed landscaper, trying to do all the work myself, & sell addl work doesn't work real well if you have a lot of work. Almost impossible to answer the phone & get a lot of work done. A part time person on the phone for a set amount of hrs would likely help, I can safely say, I know what it's like being in his shoes....... That's why I have employees..:lol:

Revi
06-11-2010, 08:33 PM
He used to work for Dominion and Grimm, so that's why his evaporators are similar to theirs. He has a foundry make the cast iron fronts and does a nice job welding with stainless. The diamond patterns on the arch are nicely done. We have very few complaints about the evaporator.

He's from he eastern part of Quebec and speaks English quite well. We had trouble getting new plugs from him, but we finally have them now.

I agree, he should hire somebody to do the customer relations.

red maples
06-11-2010, 10:21 PM
I think we can all relate fred it's like trying to make syrup and having visitors. As much as I like visitors they buy syrup, and it's someone new to talk about maple with, but its also a busy process when your boiling by your self. When ever I see someone coming down the driveway a thow in a few bigger pieces of wood on the fire to slow it down and put a gallon or 2 of raw emergency sap right into the syrup pan because if I don't I will burn it.

Fred Henderson
06-12-2010, 05:43 AM
Patrick told me that the work he did for D&G was for a college project and it was only for a month.He also said that when he got out of college he went to work doing HVAC and at that point realized how much he liked working wih SS. He said that once a year he goes some place to a trade show for new ideas. So I rather doubt that he copies D&G's designs.

3rdgen.maple
06-12-2010, 12:53 PM
Fred he told me the same thing and I would have to agree.

concord maple
08-27-2010, 03:25 PM
Does anyone know exactly where his shop is? I ordered some pans and a float box from him and I may be up in the Vt. area next month and I may possibly run up there to pick them up rather than waiting on the shipping. He told me a month ago that he would have everything completed by now.

tuckermtn
08-27-2010, 03:38 PM
I think he is south of Quebec City- near Vallee Junction...

Brent probably knows better than I

KenWP
08-28-2010, 08:26 PM
Telephone numbers: Ask Patrick or Stephanie.
Home : (418) 935-3528 Business : ( 418 ) 390-2424
Address: 234-2 , Rue Industrielle Ste-Marguerite Dorchester (Quebec) G0S 2X0 Canada.
Email : patrickletolier@msn.com

The town is 13 kms east of Vallee Junction. We ship pigs there every Friday night.

concord maple
09-21-2010, 07:11 PM
Has anyone been in contact with him the last few weeks? I haven't gotten any responses to e-mails or messages left on his home phone since I began trying last week.

mapleack
09-21-2010, 07:25 PM
You'd think if this guy had any business sense he'd realize what was going on with this BS, hire a secretary and a couple more employees, and have happy customers.

Greg Morin
09-22-2010, 05:58 PM
I went thru this last year frustrating but when you get your order you should be very pleased..I imaging the one man band keeps the price down

allgreenmaple
09-23-2010, 04:30 AM
I have not received my pans from him yet, but I'm sure they will be nice.......

childsr2
11-30-2010, 03:50 PM
Thanks for starting this thread. It's nice to know that I'm not the only person being treated this way. It's been a year and a half since I ordered my 3x8 and I'm still waiting for my float boxes and manifold pipes.

Randy Brutkoski
11-30-2010, 10:08 PM
I wouldnt care how good his work is, if it has been that long waiting for your equipment,I would be downright furious. Why does he take on all of this work when he knows he will only get a fraction of the orders done before the next sugaring season.

Haynes Forest Products
12-01-2010, 01:25 AM
Dang this guys work must be Fantastic IF so many people are so willing to plop down all the money in advance to be treated so poorly. I dont have a dog in this fight but I always read this thread with great intrest to follow the next round of stories about being mistreated, misled and down right ignored by someone that has your money.......................BUT HEY HE DOES GOOD WORK.............Is this the same PHENOMENON that keeps me married to my 3rd wife:lol::lol::lol: Keep them coming I love to read about them.

Ausable
12-01-2010, 05:45 AM
Have a guy in business in my area. Another small operation in great demand and no competition - different line of work - but - same problem. He was hard to get hold of. Never showed up when promised etc etc -- However he did fantastic work and got away with it for several years. Time marches on - A smart, hard working young guy in the area got onto the same business about eight years ago and checked out his competition to see what he was up against. He started very small and built his business up and now has several people working for him - He is easy to get hold of - shows up when promised - does very good work and is now very wealthy. The other Dude is still in business - barely - and is still trying to figure out - what the heck happened...... Point is -- if old Pat dosen't wake up -- his days are numbered.......

red maples
12-01-2010, 06:41 AM
Dang this guys work must be Fantastic IF so many people are so willing to plop down all the money in advance to be treated so poorly. I dont have a dog in this fight but I always read this thread with great intrest to follow the next round of stories about being mistreated, misled and down right ignored by someone that has your money.......................BUT HEY HE DOES GOOD WORK.............Is this the same PHENOMENON that keeps me married to my 3rd wife:lol::lol::lol: Keep them coming I love to read about them.

Ha I love it. I have one, but got mine used so I didn't get an ulcer wondering where my evap is. And I didn't have to brick it in Jan. But I love reading this thread!!!

childsr2
12-01-2010, 07:40 AM
Last winter, when I asked for my deposit back or my evaporator, he said he didn't have the money and that I would have to wait for him to build the evaporator and sell it to someone else. Thirty five hundred shouldn't be that much money for a business. Maybe he needs new money to complete old work, so he accepts any and all work.
Like everyone says, his work is nice. Unfortunately, if I don't hire someone to complete the evaporator, it looks like he is going to cost me a second season.

Haynes Forest Products
12-01-2010, 09:09 AM
Childsr2 When he crosses the boarder to diliver your rig slap him with a civil lawsuit in the US and watch him change his ways. When he doesnt show up and you win by default then get a judgment against him and get a warrant out for his arrest. That should close the border.

Sounds like he doesnt speak or read English so he doesnt spend much time on the trader. Its like an Ostrich sticking his head in the sand. I end up working around Spanish speaking guys on job sites. I dont speak or understand ANY Spanish. Im sure there are days that they rip off some go stories about me.........BUT who cares I dont hear it or see it JUST like Patrick

nhmaple48
12-01-2010, 10:30 AM
Kinda reminds me of the old adage,{You get what you pay for!!!!!}

mapleack
12-01-2010, 10:48 AM
Last winter, when I asked for my deposit back or my evaporator, he said he didn't have the money and that I would have to wait for him to build the evaporator and sell it to someone else. Thirty five hundred shouldn't be that much money for a business. Maybe he needs new money to complete old work, so he accepts any and all work.
Like everyone says, his work is nice. Unfortunately, if I don't hire someone to complete the evaporator, it looks like he is going to cost me a second season.

This is one of the worst ones I've heard yet. Childsr2, when did you actually order the evaporator? Haynes, I agree with you, figure out some way to file a civil suit against him.

childsr2
12-01-2010, 10:55 AM
Actually, he is fluent in english.
I have most of the evaporator here. I'm missing the float boxes and all pipes.
When he was reluctant to deliver, I went to his shop early October only to find that it wasn't complete. It took me half a day and $150 to do all the customs brokerage paperwork. I guess that I should be thankful.
I agree, you get what you pay for. I see that he has raised his 3x8 price on ebay from 7k last year to 12k this year.

childsr2
12-01-2010, 11:01 AM
This is one of the worst ones I've heard yet. Childsr2, when did you actually order the evaporator? Haynes, I agree with you, figure out some way to file a civil suit against him.
I ordered it in the spring of 2009 for fall delivery.

3rdgen.maple
12-01-2010, 08:15 PM
He reads the Trader and I have had him mention this thread to me a few times in the past. His work is outstanding but dang it sounds like his promises are getting worse and worse. Going from 7 to 12 grand is quite the inflation id say. Im trying to figure out if it is the high demand that raised his pricing. You just cant have both poor promises and high prices. One of them is bad enough but 2 and your done.

gmcooper
12-01-2010, 09:06 PM
My prediction is between now and tapping season at least 6 more new "customers" will post here how they can't get an answer to when thier evaporator will be delivered. We will hear about how stunned they are that they can't get in touch with him for answers. And we will hear what a wonderful craftsman he is. If he was 1/2 the businessman as he is a stainless welder he'd be a multimillionaire.

heus
12-01-2010, 09:20 PM
He has all kinds of evaporators and pans currently on ebay.

Randy Brutkoski
12-01-2010, 09:29 PM
I dont think poeple want to buy pictures.

heus
12-02-2010, 04:45 PM
You didnt buy it through ebay did you? If so you might have some recourse besides giving a negative rating.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
12-02-2010, 06:38 PM
Only post feedback on EBAY up to 45 days, so that won't help any

Dennis H.
12-02-2010, 07:23 PM
If you take a look at the ebay listings it says that becasue of the high demand you will be put on a list and your evap will be made and shipped on a timely manner.

jrthe3
12-02-2010, 07:40 PM
sounds like i need to get my shop back in order and start buildind evaporators

bobbyjake
12-02-2010, 09:59 PM
the large "Northern" evap companies aren't much better. They may deliver their product more timely, but the manuals are garbage and the follow-up service isn't much better.

Haynes Forest Products
12-02-2010, 10:26 PM
I had three pans made by one of them thar NORTHERN companys and I couldnt be happier with the 3 week turn around on the pans and they were custom made to be just like ones of the other northern companys. Added extras without complaint.

concord maple
07-11-2012, 11:36 AM
Anyone have a phone number for him or heard from him in the last month. Sent emails but no response. I see his website has been down for about a month.

heus
07-11-2012, 11:47 AM
He still has evaporators on Ebay but I think they may be through his partner in Chazy, NY.

YAZER
07-11-2012, 04:22 PM
This is the link to the place in Chazy NY

http://www.homesteadmaple.com/index.html

sirsapsalot
07-11-2012, 04:37 PM
http://www.sugarbush.info/forsale/showproduct.php?product=151&title=maple-syrup-2x4-pans&cat=9He is also a member on sugarbush.info.

concord maple
07-11-2012, 05:27 PM
Was trying to get a hold of him to check on status of equipment I ordered but no response to my emails. I was looking for a phone number to try and call him. I do know he has an iphone from previous emails. Unfortunately, his website has been down for over a month so I can't get a number from there.

boondocker
07-16-2012, 04:36 PM
This is exactly why i bought from the " big guys"!! I have not seen anything positive written about him as far as his promis dates and delivery. I know for a fact that makes nice stuff, but it takes for ever to get it and when it does show up if there is any damage your screwed. I ordered my CDL in april and it showed up three weeks ago in perfect shape and just the way i ordered it. I mean no disrespect but is it really worth all the hassel to save a few bucks?

maple flats
07-16-2012, 08:25 PM
And that is why I bought from Thor. They had my custom pans ready in 2 weeks. I am going up to pick them up. Was originally going today but I'm too busy trying to get water to my blueberries and other crops. Bought drip. Working as fast as this old man can in the heat, which isn't very fast anymore.

heus
07-16-2012, 09:33 PM
Yes!! Its worth the wait.

CBOYER
07-17-2012, 10:13 AM
a link with info on his business:
http://www.entreprisebeauce.com/fiche.php?id=11537

nymapleguy607
07-17-2012, 12:19 PM
This seems to be a yearly thing, maybe we should start a book like they have for Waldo. Hope you get a hold of him.