PDA

View Full Version : beavers?

red maples
06-06-2010, 10:30 AM
So I think I have a beaver that moved into the swamp and keeps plugging up the culvert. I cleared it out a few weeks ago(and fell in the swamp too bad there wasn't a camera around beacuse it was probably funny as hell to see) but I noticed the water level coming back up again even though we haven't had alot of rain. and went back over there again and its plugged up again. cleared it out again this time I noticed alot more mud and some rock a bit bigger than a softball weaved through the sticks and brush.

So I walked down the edge of the swamp as far As I could in my waders without getting to deep in muck and found a beaver hut although it looks older and I didn't see any fresh bite marks, or chewed off trees.

So once I find out if definitly have a beaver how do I get rid of it I am not a trapper. should I check with the town and see what they say or can I call NH fish and game, or animal control? I wouldn't mind having it but when the culvert gets plugged up my yard floods when we get heavy rains.

jgrenier
06-06-2010, 10:43 AM
I'm not sure when trapping season opens for beaver but if you ask NH fish and game they should be able to get you in contact with a local trapper, or be able to live trap the critter and move it for you.

Haynes Forest Products
06-06-2010, 11:18 AM
SHOOT, SHUT UP AND DIG :evil:

TF Maple
06-06-2010, 11:48 AM
I agree with finding a trapper and see if they can eliminate the problem this fall. A trapper will be thrilled to be invited to your property if you can find someone. I also think we can and should promote and care for wildlife at the same time we are managing for maple syrup production. That said, if property damage results from the wildlife, then something should be done to stop it. I endorse using legal means when ever possible. If that doesn't work then Haynes suggestion might be your only option.

jasonl6
06-06-2010, 01:04 PM
I agree you should shoot it. They will generally come out for food toward dusk. You can also discourage it by keep removing the d^mn (if you don't get discouraged first).

A few years ago we had some beavers d^mn up the main stream by our property. They d^mned it up so much the stream changed course into a small spring that we get our water from. I removed the d^mn several times until one day i really removed it. As in every stick down to the stream bed. It worked and they moved on.

red maples
06-06-2010, 01:04 PM
I would have to go in with a high powered pellet gun or a quick pop w/ a .22 beacuse where the hut is there is a house about 200 yrds away. I forgot to mention its not on my property its just down the street but all the water ways are linked and start on 2 springs on my property so when 1 culvert backs up they all do.
I think that is why I was flooded so baddly this spring.

But I do tap trees on that property so I do have permission to be there. I would have to ask about getting someone in there to trap but don't see it being an issue.

I just checked the season goes from Nov. thru April.

I think I am going to set up my trail camera to catch a photo of the little culprit. the water level has dropped about 1 foot already has another 8" or so to go.

We'll see what happens.

BryanEx
06-06-2010, 05:53 PM
I wouldn't mind having it but when the culvert gets plugged up my yard floods when we get heavy rains.
If you don't mind having the beavers around, you just need to control the amount of water dammed up. There is another option used by my local park service. They run a pipe through the dam with an inlet set to a specific height in the pond... same idea as the over-flow drain on a bath tub. Beavers can build the dam as big as they want but will never flood more than you allow.

heus
06-06-2010, 06:37 PM
I'm sorry but in my opinion beavers serve no useful purpose. They kill trees, create floods, etc. Yes they are amazing creatures, being able to build a dam and such, but I just cant stand the dam things.

3rdgen.maple
06-06-2010, 09:43 PM
Ahhh hues beavers are what brought us here in the first place. Remember the big fur trade and the reason Lewis and Clark went on their great expedition? A good read for ya is Undaughnting Courage. Great Book based on Lewis and Clarks expedition. Any how Red I have had a similar problem with two ponds one on my land and one down the road and I bet we busted the dam out in front of those culverts dozens of times with a backhoe and the next day it was there again. Then the little turds decided they were smarter than us and built a dam on each end of the culvert. I traped all the time as a young lad so got my license renewed and during the traping season I spent weeks hauling beavers to the local fur shop. Well next spring and early summer a new family moved in. By then it was time to say I was beaten and did as stated before I had another culvert put in with a 90 elbow heading straight up and the height was set to regulate the level of the pond. Well after a few months those new beavers wanted more water and just went downstream of the new culvert and built a whole new dam. So the end story is persistance won and I gave up. The only other advice i was given and the guy claimed it works everytime is to stick a plastic alligator next to the da in the water and let it float around on a string and it scare the hell out of them and keeps them out of that area. Never tried it but heck let me know if you do.

gmcooper
06-07-2010, 06:36 AM
Did the beavers get a permit for said dam? Probably they didn't so maybe code enforcement can shut them down. A couple of bright red stop work orders from Government should solve the problem! LOL
Good luck getting cooperation getting rid of them.

SPILEDRIVER
06-07-2010, 05:52 PM
ive been a fur trapper most my life,beaver can be a real pain.you probably have a young beaver who has moved in trying to set up his own territory.
if you have a healthy or growing beaver population in your area you have just begun a endless battle,even if you are successful trapping them out this year it will more than likely be repopulated again in 2 yrs.beaver are pushed out of there birth homes when they are 1.5 yrs old to make room for the new births.best thing for you to do is make friends with a trapper,we all want new areas to trap and are allways looking for a foot in the door for new trapping areas!

red maples
06-08-2010, 09:46 AM
thanks I think he moved in last year early summer thats when I started having water problems. but never thought of it being a beaver. but I am going over to check out what he has built in that last 2 days. the past few years we have had alot of heavy spring rains, and except this year beacuse of the light winter, heavy spring snow melt that forced alot of beavers to cross the roads and get hit by cars. so I have notice alot of beavers in the area and I am in technically in the great bay bay water basin so there if alot of channels for them to move around if the population is growing.

I may go take the trapping course and get my trapping permit. I think I will look into that shortly.

what are beaver pelts going for these days?

vermaple
06-08-2010, 11:34 AM
My solution to this type of problem,(which I probably should not relate here) is to remove the dam and then go sit quietly on the bank and watch. Soon the beavers will appear to make repairs to the dam. At that time treat the beaver to a lethal dose of lead poison. Maybe you should do the right thing and use lead free shot.

SPILEDRIVER
06-08-2010, 05:42 PM
eastern beaver averaged about 20$ this year....ive seen better and worse...if your gonna get your trapping permit you want to keep your eyes peeled for muskrats while water trapping.........there quick and siple to catch and easy to put the fur up......they were at a average of 9.50$ this spring and it dosnt take long to pad your wallet.if you dont have any traps you better buy used,the sticker price on new one can shock you!if you go this route and need some help give me a shout/email ill be glad to

Homestead Maple
06-08-2010, 07:39 PM
SHOOT, SHUT UP AND DIG :evil:

you are so efficient in your answers. lol