PDA

View Full Version : Glass Bottles

tyrod2
06-05-2010, 07:28 PM
Check out SKS Bottles . Free Shipping on orders over $250.00. I bought 600 Glass bottles .54 each. Delivered to my door and nice price on other glass bottles .Check them out.

Ausable
06-06-2010, 06:08 AM
Hey tyrod2 - Now this is gonna sound like a dumb question - but - have to ask someone who uses bottles. Do the bottles seal up like a canning jar would? I only tap about 55 trees max. and give the syrup to family - so - have always used canning jars. But - the price for the jars and lids keep going up and the lid quality down. So - at the prices You gave for the bottles - seems like the way to go. Maple Syrup looks better in glass bottles to me - so think I'll switch over...... If the syrup keeps as good in bottles as it does in jars.......

3rdgen.maple
06-06-2010, 09:50 PM
Same thing Ausable just different shape and cap. I use bottles all the time and love them and they are just as good but look better than canning jars. You can order new caps with seals for them for personal reuse on the cheap as well. Just remember you need good filtering practices to keep the syrup in the jars clear and little as possible sediment in them if any at all. Just hot pack them like any other syrup container just dont get above 200 it will release new niter.

Ausable
06-07-2010, 04:06 AM
Same thing Ausable just different shape and cap. I use bottles all the time and love them and they are just as good but look better than canning jars. You can order new caps with seals for them for personal reuse on the cheap as well. Just remember you need good filtering practices to keep the syrup in the jars clear and little as possible sediment in them if any at all. Just hot pack them like any other syrup container just dont get above 200 it will release new niter.
Thanks 3rdgen.maple for the information - Something I should know -- but -- didn't.

Jim Schumacher
06-07-2010, 09:32 PM
Check out SKS Bottles . Free Shipping on orders over $250.00. I bought 600 Glass bottles .54 each. Delivered to my door and nice price on other glass bottles .Check them out.

What size bottle? Do you have an Item number? I remember checking SKS last fall and they couldn't beat the local maple supplier on 12oz flask style. I paid $.625 each for them. Did they come with covers? ???

3rdgen.maple
06-07-2010, 09:36 PM
I just looked on there the other day and it is cheaper to buy the same 12oz bottles and have them shipped from Bascoms. Was the same thing last year as well. Am I missing something here cause SKS has always been over a buck apeice.

Jim Schumacher
06-07-2010, 10:08 PM
I just looked on there the other day and it is cheaper to buy the same 12oz bottles and have them shipped from Bascoms. Was the same thing last year as well. Am I missing something here cause SKS has always been over a buck apeice.

What do you pay from bascoms?

tyrod2
06-08-2010, 06:04 AM
What do you pay from bascoms?

Bascom'c bottle 8.oz with lid each $1.68 shipping and handling.SKS $.71 no lid with shipping.Lids from Sugar bush 1.00 doz, lables from Anderson Maple 12.00 a hundred. $.87 each total for bottles lid and lables on 1200 bottles in all at $1040.50= $.87each I thought I did ok but People can buy bottles where they want . Good Luck

ADKMAPLE
06-08-2010, 06:28 AM
think I may store my syrup in large mason jars. then in my garage freezer

3rdgen.maple
06-08-2010, 10:30 PM
Bascom'c bottle 8.oz with lid each $1.68 shipping and handling.SKS $.71 no lid with shipping.Lids from Sugar bush 1.00 doz, lables from Anderson Maple 12.00 a hundred. $.87 each total for bottles lid and lables on 1200 bottles in all at $1040.50= $.87each I thought I did ok but People can buy bottles where they want . Good Luck

We cannot possibly be talking about the same bottles cause the ones I get from Bascoms are like 9.50 a case of 12 with tamper proof caps and seals. The same exact bottles from SKS are like 1.14 last I checked without caps. So thats 79 cents ready to use compared to 1.14 not ready to use. By the way you did do Okay and not judging your purchase just trying to get myself the best deal and figure this out cause as we all know every penny in this business counts. Thank you for the info.

Well went back and my thick skull just now cought on. It is the shipping cost that really drives up the pricing going to Ohio. When I ordered last time around I was going through NH so I stopped and picked them up. But Beth on the phone got me much better rates as far as shipping goes based on how many cases I was looking to get. So after looking at pricing if I was to buy right now and have Bascoms ship them, you sir would be correct you definately have a better deal with the free shipping. Now with that being said I actually etch my bottles and was curious about the quality of the glass from SKS. If you look at the ones from Bascoms there are mild barely noticible blemishes to them. Such as maybe a small air bubble left a pimple in the glass or small indents etc... It does cause me to reject a few bottles out of 4 or 5 cases. So are there bottles pretty much the same or of higher quality or less. You gotta look at them close in the light to see this. Any info would be great.

3rdgen.maple
06-08-2010, 10:31 PM
think I may store my syrup in large mason jars. then in my garage freezer

If your Mason jars have new seals and you hot pack them properly you don't need to put them in the freezer. They will last for years on the shelf.

Killington Maple
09-13-2010, 01:07 PM
I bought most of my bottles at Bascom's during their 10% off sale . I bought 40 cases in one trip and they sharpened the pencil even more.