View Full Version : drops to buckets

ringer
06-04-2010, 06:38 AM
Going to do drops to buckets on the ground
Next year , wondering what spouts to use lots of
Choices.

TF Maple
06-04-2010, 09:20 AM
I had that kind of setup this year and used the clear seasonal 5/16 spouts that are 25 cents each. Can't beat the price unless you have access to free spouts. I bought them from the Maple Guys. We just pushed them in by hand without tapping them with a hammer and only one came out of the tree during the season. So I really liked them.

briduhunt
06-04-2010, 02:59 PM
I had 207 taps with tubing to buckets on the ground and they all worked fine. I just purchased the regular 5/16 spouts tubed to bakery buckets. I drilled a hole in the bucket top then stuck the tubing directly into it, I used a drill size of 5/16 and the tubbing fit in snug. My only problem was the wind knocking over the buckets, so I just found bricks to place on to and the problem was solved. I found the old bricks on Criags List for about $.10 per each. Some times I see them on the free stuff section.

Just my 2 cents

Haynes Forest Products
06-04-2010, 05:15 PM
Buy the best spout you can find and it will last a long time. Tap into tree as if you were on a main line. Ringer If you cant find rocks in the woods to hold them down Ill send you some from my woods free you only have to pay shipping:rolleyes:

TF Maple
06-04-2010, 05:23 PM
Putting the handle up on the bucket was enough in most cases to keep the cover on. That keeps it from going in two of the directions it could fall off. If it is next to the tree, that is a third direction and it only has one way it can go and the tree is blocking the wind so it usually doesn't go that way either. I do wonder if a squirrel ever jumps on a pail and knocks the cover off.

buxtonboiler
06-05-2010, 02:39 AM
I have about 20 trees that I tap with 5/16 spouts and run tubing to buckets. I have never had a problem. I use 5 gallon frosting buckets from the local bakery (free). I do however drill my hole down in the side just above handle level, that way rain doesn't get in as it would if drilled in the cover.

TF Maple
06-05-2010, 08:25 AM
I put the tubing hole in the cover and the hole I drill is so small the tubing is tuff to get pushed in. No rain will get in and I also tilt the pail so water doesn't pool up where the tubing hole is anyway. So the tubing can go where ever you want the way I see it.

muddyfootprints
06-05-2010, 09:42 AM
most of what we have ever done is buckets on the ground and we like it.
We have done holes in the side of the bucket for the hose and thru the lid, we have even just put the hose under the lid with the lid snapped on only two sides of the pail so it has a little curve on top and the rain runs off.

what we have found works best for us is to drill a hole in the lid so the hose is a tight fit and snap the lid on only two sides. Snapped on two sides we have don't have problems with the wind taking the lid off and the rain runs off the lid, the one problem we did have with going thru the lid was if it snaps on hard in the cold sometimes the lid will crack if your not careful.

one of the other reasons we like to go thru the lid is when you pull the lid off to empty the bucket if the hose is snug you can let the lid hang from the hose so your hands are free to pour and your lid and hose is not on the ground.

Another thing we do is try to not use to much hose (1) so it won't freeze in the bottom of the bucket and stop sap flow (2) we try to keep it a direct line from the tap to the bucket and about 8 inches into the bucket so the sap doesn't back up in the hose and then it also works to hold the bucket upright so the wind won't blow it over no bricks, rocks or sticks to hold the bucket in place. well sometimes a stick under the bucket to make it level.

ADKMAPLE
06-05-2010, 11:35 AM
I like this idea of using 5 gallon buckets with drops. I was gonna start out with the 2 gallon sap sacks and then collect using two 5 gallon buckets and two strategic dump stations. I have to concerns right now using the sacks
First is squirrels tearing the sacks and the second is having to buy new sacks each year, but they are pretty inexpensive for the 80-100 taps I will have.

Probably still go my original route of sap sacks, collect in 5 gallong buckets and dump at two stations.. I dont have a single mature tree meaning a tree I would have two taps in diameter wise.

ADKMAPLE
06-06-2010, 07:51 AM
So to make these drops, would you buy basically the Leader 5/16th tree saver plastic spouts, then attached a length of 5/16th tubing to a bucket? Or can you use like the Aluminum Leader 5/16th spout?

Haynes Forest Products
06-06-2010, 11:04 AM
Its a closed system from tree to bucket. In the early years I would mount a star in the lid of a bucket and have a cluster of trees plumbed in. In one good cluster of about 10 trees I used a 15 gallon poly tank. Your not limited to one bucket one tree.

TF Maple
06-06-2010, 12:40 PM
I only had one tap per 4 gallon bucket because in a good 24 hour run it gets full enough from a good tree. If I have more than one tap in a bucket, I would have to check that bucket more than once a day, and I don't want to make the extra trip. But, if you have a larger container, then a star on top is a great idea. I have to remember that suggestion.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
06-06-2010, 02:23 PM
So to make these drops, would you buy basically the Leader 5/16th tree saver plastic spouts, then attached a length of 5/16th tubing to a bucket? Or can you use like the Aluminum Leader 5/16th spout?

Any of the Leader or other brand of 5/16" spouts that have the 90 degree barbed shank on them will work great. Don't want to the the Leader aluminum spouts, they are not designed for tubing. Just push the tubing up on the barbed shank good and if you don't have tubing tool and are doing it by hand, stick the end of tubing in hot or boiling water for a couple of seconds and it goes right on the barbed shaft.

TF Maple
06-06-2010, 03:00 PM
We cut 3 foot long pieces of tubing and put the spouts on right in the house where it is warm. One less thing to do when out in the sugar bush and trying to get tapping done.

ADKMAPLE
06-06-2010, 06:53 PM
TF, that is what I was thinking too, make them all up beforehand. I jsut dont know if that setup will be the best for myself. I guess it depends on my trees run and I wont know that till I tap them! Like I ahve said, I dont have any large dia trees, or basically none that I could put two taps into so that would indicate the size of them

TF Maple
06-06-2010, 11:23 PM
ADK, 2 of my small trees were the best producers this year on 2 weekends when the weather was perfect for sap running. They filled the 4 gallon buckets to the top in 24 hours a couple days in a row each weekend. My big trees with 3 taps in them were rather lazy this year.

ADKMAPLE
06-07-2010, 06:06 AM
Tf, well, that is encouraging! makes me wonder if my 2 gallon sap sacks will be enough....guess I will have to empty each day

morningstarfarm
06-07-2010, 11:05 AM
I have about 60-70 5 gal buckets that I run into..tried the drilling into the side...worked great the first year..next season what a pita...much easier to drill covers so the tubing fits tight then all I have to sort through is a pile of lids with different hole configurations instead of dealing with stacks of buckets. covers are also much easier to replace than the whole bucket. I worry about food grade buckets..dont worry much if the cover is or not.

adk1
06-07-2010, 03:52 PM
you got me there. why would you have to sort through everything. I would jsut drill a hole in the same exact spot and that would be it on all buckets or lids

morningstarfarm
06-07-2010, 06:46 PM
I will run as many as 3 drops into one bucket..some have 1, 2, or 3 holes..some go in offshoot trees and the holes are on opposite sides... just easier to sort through a few lids to get the right one for that application

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
06-07-2010, 06:54 PM
I always found it easiest to snap about half the lid shut and slide the tubing under the other side that it not snapped and put a rock, brick, or piece of wood on top of the lid. Tubing slides out and back in very easy and bucket dumps without removing lid.

Also seems the quickest way of the ways mentioned that I have tried.

ADKMAPLE
06-07-2010, 08:12 PM
Hmmm.I am learning that the 5 gallon bucket maybe the way to go on some of the trees... need to find a supplier of these buckets that are food grade. IF I can get them for free then heck, there is my answer for my initial setup

sap retreiver
06-08-2010, 04:49 PM
pizza joints, bakeries, deli's and sams club or bj's if they have a bakery. All mine have been free, traded a pint or two. works great for my set up, too small right now for tubing, but like everyone else with the affliction I will be adding.

SPILEDRIVER
06-08-2010, 05:59 PM
i just drill a 5/16 whole in the lid and snap a Y or T in the whole and run 2 taps and tubeing from it, if i need 3 taps in a tree i just add a T in the tubing.i just pop the lid off,swap out the bucket and away i go.
bucketts really are easy to find you just gotta ask around.i just found a local place today that sells used food grade drums cheap! 15 gallon drums 2$ each,30 gallon drums 4$ each,55 gallon drums 6$ each. im picking up a truck load tommorrow