PDA

View Full Version : Quebec forest fires

Homestead Maple
06-03-2010, 09:24 PM
Any news on whether the recent forest fires in Quebec affected many or any of the maple producers there? Last I heard the fires had burned over 110,000 acres. I assume that the fires must be under control after the recent rains?

Ausable
06-04-2010, 05:05 AM
Good Luck with that. - Here in Michigan we have Ontario, Canada for a neighbor for about half of our State and as far as hearing about the news or weather in Ontario or the rest of Canada - they could be located on the back side of the moon. Thanks to your posting - I now know there are forest fires in Quebec..... What is with the American News Media? Look at a globe - Canada is our neighbor - Things happen there - Do your job - Get nosy - Go to Canada and talk to the folks there --- then - report - report - report. Guess I have had it with our over paid - lazy news media - who wouldn't know a story if it kicked them in the rear and have never heard about -- The Who, What, When, Where, Why and How of reporting...

Flat47
06-04-2010, 06:22 AM
Maine and New Hampshire each sent a crew of 20 up to Quebec on 5/28. I haven't heard much lately, but they should be coming back next week. Mobilizations are for 2 weeks.

red maples
06-04-2010, 07:27 AM
Ididn't know about it either until we were effected by the smoke last weekend and I looked online to see if there was a fire somewhere locally and found out it was smoke from Quebec wildfires.

and as far as news in the states...they are too busy reporting on tabloid type news and what hollywood star is doing whatoh and bret micheals..who cares!!!

Revi
06-04-2010, 10:43 AM
Here's an article from 3 days ago about the fires:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2010/05/smoke_from_queb.html

I think it's mostly spruce and fir burning.
There were fires in the same area about 3 years ago when it was dry in the summer

ennismaple
06-04-2010, 11:11 AM
Recent article:

http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/canada/forest+fire+evacuees+expected+home+Friday/3112545/story.html

I assume that 300km north of Montreal will be mostly evergreens. From aerial photos you can see the logging in the area.

WMF
06-04-2010, 11:34 AM
We drive through the area where the fires are on our way to the Gouin reservoir to fish. There are no significant stands of maple in that region, just sand, rocks and hungry blackflies.

KenWP
06-04-2010, 08:41 PM
They missed out on most of the rain but they have calmed down a bit. They are pretty far north of the maple region.

Homestead Maple
06-04-2010, 09:04 PM
We drive through the area where the fires are on our way to the Gouin reservoir to fish. There are no significant stands of maple in that region, just sand, rocks and hungry blackflies.
The black flies won't be missed, will they!!

cheesegenie
06-05-2010, 07:13 PM
Last I heard there were 52 fires and 8 were out of control. Last Saturday
all our area was covered with the smoke, and we could be hundreds of
miles away from the closest fire. I would imagine our neighbours across the St. Lawrence could smel it too.

farmall h
06-05-2010, 07:54 PM
Ahh RedMaples, your not into 90's hairbands?:lol:

red maples
06-05-2010, 08:24 PM
oh but I am!!!:cool: I used to have a mullet!!!:cool: but I didn't have a and IROC, or Z-28.

I just think if your bret micheals and you had a brain hemorage, a minor stroke, diabetes...you just might need to slow down a bit and heal up a bit.

sap retreiver
06-06-2010, 07:16 AM
Last weekend I was at the cape and could see and smell it. They had 3 miles visibility in Chatham, so I'm sure it went further but that's a long ways off.