PDA

View Full Version : Blending syrup

Russ
03-30-2005, 07:24 PM
We're trying to draw off finished syrup this year instead of getting it close and then finishing on the flat pan... we want to see if we can preserve the grade and not dink around with more work. Cold tests show that I did alright when I was cooking, but my brother ended up with some "past syrup"; in fact he told me that when he tried a cold test yesterday, the hydrometer just about jumped out of the cup... didn't even register on the scale.

So, what is the best way to blend the syrup in order to thin it out? I heard from someone once that to really get it blended, you need to heat it or else it will separate (stratify). We have some cans of thinner stuff that we draw off from the syrup pan when we're shutting down for the day; can we blend that in cold and mix well, or does it need to be heated? We're not looking to blend different grades in order to lighten up the syrup; just looking to thin the thick stuff down to where it should be so it doesn't start sugaring in the cans.

PETE FELCH
03-30-2005, 08:33 PM
RUSS

I'M NOT SURE ABOUT THE BLENDING I THINK YOU MIGHT HAVE TO HEAT . WE FILTER OFF OUR PAN WITH A PRESS NOW AND RIGHT INTO BARRELS . WE USED TO DUMP INTO MILK BULK TANKS AND YOU REALLY HAD TO WATCH BECAUSE YOU WILL GET QUITE A BIT OF EVAPORATION WHILE IT IS COOLING. I'LL TALK WITH PATTERSON IN THE AM AND LET YOU KNOW HIS THOUGHTS ON IT :? :

WE DIDNT GET MUCH THE LAST 2 DAYS HOW YOU DOING?

PETE

brookledge
03-30-2005, 09:11 PM
Russ,
Definately cut the over boiled with under boiled syrup to bring the density back where it is suppose to be. It would be better to have the syrup warm as it would mix better but you do not have to boil it again.You will need to reheat to 185-195 anyways to re can it. If you are cutting it with unfiltered syrup you will need to filter it again. If you leave it you will lose alot of syrup to crystals especially if it is as you described. I always will check my density just before packaging it and ajust it if needed.
Keith

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
03-31-2005, 06:48 AM
Definitely want to reheat all the light and heavy syrup back up to the 180 Min. degree and stir it well for several minutes and then check your density- as you donot want the light syrup to set on top of the heavy syrup as in the drum the light syrup will ferment and ruin the whole drum and turn it into a alcohol taste and then you got commercial grade.

christwo
03-31-2005, 11:31 AM
I also have some syrup that went too dense and now has the crystals.

I have some syrup that I drew off a little early in hopes of heating and blending the two batches together. Hopefully that will solve the density problem.

If not, can boiled sap ( no where near done and syrup ) be added to the mix to create the correct density?

Always learning from this process.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-31-2005, 06:47 PM
I believe when you reheat the syrup will crystals in it, they will dissolve or most of it. Can't remember for sure, but I am sure others will shed more light on it. :?

saphead
03-31-2005, 07:27 PM
You want to talk about crystals! The sugarer I work for was cleaning out a drum of puchased syrup the other day and the crystals were so large they wouldn't fit out the bung hole! It took a lot of hot water to melt them down!

Maple Flats
04-02-2005, 07:29 AM
You may also want to try selling the crystals if you get much. They sell for a heafty profit, believe it's called rock candy. Others may help more but I think you need to do a quick rinse to remove any syrup and then dry it and package it for sale. This mistake could pan out without trying to reconstitute all of it. Just an idea.

Rob Harvey
04-03-2005, 09:30 AM
In the North American Maple Syrup Producers Manual, On pages 108-111,there is all the info for adjusting heavy syrup. It can be done with light syrup, sap or sterilized water. The manual is on-line somewhere though I dont remember where. Perhaps someone else does? Rob

sweetwoodmaple
04-03-2005, 11:45 AM
Got a bunch of links, including the manual on my web site.

tapper
04-03-2005, 12:30 PM
I add small amounts of water to overly dense syrup as I m bottling . Thats what came from it to begin with. Clean quick and simple

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-03-2005, 02:18 PM
I add syrup that is between 4 and 5 degrees on the evaporator. Of course, I can all my syrup in quarts and pints during the season and don't hold it until later. I usually know about what the ratio is and if I run out of one, I am nearly out of the other. :?