PDA

View Full Version : June Journal

chipa
06-01-2010, 06:31 AM
Hey it's June!

ADKMAPLE
06-01-2010, 06:57 AM
that it is..about 1/2 way done cleaning up my small sapbush of downed branches etc..Its all on a side hill and since I will be using sap sacks and 5 gall buckets I can only imagine me slipping on a snow covered fallen branch and ending up with 5 gallons of sap on myself..Looks much neater as well. Once I get all that done, its time to start selectively thinning the tap tree crowns....March 2012 will be here before you know it!
But now, back to the desk job! RRRRR..should have been a teacher, would love to have those 2 solid months to get things done day in and day out!

red maples
06-01-2010, 09:10 AM
ADK it was you who is looking for an evap if you feel like driving to PA there is a new stainless 2x6 in the classifieds.

We had smoke down here too. couldn't figure what it was smelled like someone was burning paper. (can't do that anymore) So I did a little drive around yesterday mornign and finally looked on the internet and found out where it coming from crazy like 100,000 acres up there. hope noone on here was effected by it!!! and if so I hope your doing OK!!!

brookledge
06-01-2010, 06:46 PM
No kidding. Hard to believe it is June. Anyways this time of yr is hard for me to get much done with Maple, between family vacs. in the travel trailer and both of my kids sports. Just need to keep plugging away.
Keith

Russell Lampron
06-02-2010, 05:23 AM
ADK, March 2010 was 3 months ago! Time is slipping away from us faster than we think.

ADKMAPLE
06-02-2010, 05:42 AM
haha, oops, March 2012 (since I wont be ready for 2011)

KenWP
06-03-2010, 07:51 AM
I finally got the evaporator cleaned and put away. Tried the sap in the pan thing and it sort of worked and then finished off the hard stuff with milk stone remover. Took probbably a cup of the milk stone remover to clean up all three pans. She who has to be obeyed is happy *** the yard is finally getting in shape again. Hard to do things when you work from 5am till 8pm every day .
Pouring rain here again today and hopefully the fires up north get put out. The fires are far north of me even and we get the smoke in the mornings everyday.

Sugarmaker
06-03-2010, 11:23 AM
Still bringing home pallets every day. Starting to pile up! I need a better way to process these that is quicker and safe.

Have all the components to build the trolly system for the WRU. Fab wor is done just need to disassemble and prime and paint black. then install hardware and mount the unit.
Added stainless eye bolts to the rear hood at each end to allow it to be lifted of with the same winch system.

Just bought another Cub Cadet today. a mid 70's model 102 with mower deck. Yes I have a problem in that area also!

Hope maple things are great out there!
Regards,
Chris

Revi
06-05-2010, 08:52 PM
I cleaned up around the sugarhouse with my Grass Hog. It's a plug in string trimmer that seems to work well with any kind of stuff that I put in front of it. It sends its own string out and has worked well the past 2 years. We have electricity at the sugarhouse so I was able to get to everything that needed trimming. There's only a small patch of grass and everything else is woods. I mow it down once a year. The Grass Hog is perfect for the job.

ADKMAPLE
06-06-2010, 06:57 AM
I must say it is pretty quiet on this board at this time of the year...Lots of other things to do that is for sure. Curious to know how many of you total die hards there are out there who basically do something "maple" every week.. I bet the super majority of us are part timers and start gearing up around January and then really start tapering off around May

Thompson's Tree Farm
06-06-2010, 07:15 AM
Are you nuts? I do something maple every day:lol:

ADKMAPLE
06-06-2010, 07:17 AM
I know that is the motto but impossible..unless you call being on this site daily doing something maple! haha

red maples
06-06-2010, 10:16 AM
yeah it is a quiet time, I need to sit down make a plan and figure how much my little improvements for this will cost me. no more than $1k this year in improvements. mostly alot of fine tuning here and there.

2 sap latters the flat spots to get things moving a little better.
change out the first 100 feet from 3/4 " to 1 "mainline.
Move the old 3/4 " over to make laterals shorter and more efficient.
build a platform to raise up tank and make a better cover.
add in more laterals to shorten up the some of the exsisting ones.
still working on thinning
put in a post at the collection tank behind the SH for a better anchor point for mainline into releaser

and don't forget the wood always working on wood.

Sugarmaker
06-06-2010, 02:39 PM
Mike helped me get the trolly up above the evaporator.
Disappointing that the 3000 lb. winch I got from Harbor Freight will not work to pick up the 250 lb. WRU:(. I may have to get some small block and tackles?)
Made a batch of maple BBQ and will make maple peanut butter for order today.
Found some local dairy stuff and listed in the classifieds.
Mike and I picked up another Cub Cadet 102 found it has a blown head gasket and a 1981 Yamaha Enduro 100. Mike got the bike running in about 1 hour and blasted around all weekend.

Hope things are good in maple land!

Regards,
Chris

red maples
06-06-2010, 03:40 PM
3000 lb winch wouldn't pick up 250 lbs. take that baby back!!! see if you can find a nice electric chain hoist. those are nice!!! My Father in-law had one when I worked in his machine shop for a spell great for lifting engine blocks with ease.

Jim Brown
06-06-2010, 07:27 PM
Chris; i bought an electric hoist for my garage to handle drum of syrup.Go it at Harbor frieght.Works like a charm.$99! If my hood and steamaway was the size of yours I'd look at one to lift it.

just a thought

Jim

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
06-06-2010, 07:35 PM
Even a hand winch mounted on the wall or above the steamaway would pick it up with no problem.

Sugarmaker
06-06-2010, 08:40 PM
I finally got the winch to work but it was a struggle seemed to be lots of pressure and binding in the worm gear. I have the winch mounted upside down and side ways, so that may be the problem.:) The instructions say that it is not designed to lift things vertically. So I may need to be smarter than the winch and remount it to work in a more correct pull type position, which may put less binding on the worm gear. I do use this exact same winch to lift the steam pipes but they are a lot lighter, and I have them mounted more like they would be winching horizontally.
The "U" shaped trolley system worked great. I will have to take some pictures.
Anyway I did get the WRU set in place and the hoods on, just to see how things look. It looks BIG! Both the sap inlet and outlet lined up well. I have to take the hood and the WRU back off to put the pipes in the rear pan and put on the gasket material that should be here Tuesday.
Thanks for the ideas!

Regards,
Chris

Amber Gold
06-06-2010, 09:24 PM
Walked a sugar bush in Loudon Saturday morning with Chipa. Just missed the downpours and had a nice walk that morning. Got some ideas for my woods w/ the wet/dry.

Went to the new property owner's house and he tallied up the taps on each lateral mainline. Total count is ~2150...he had 2265 3 years ago, but lost some due to the storms we've been having the last few years. He's tapping everything 6.5" and up though so I asked him to tally up everything >10" and the new total is ~1750. So next year I'll end up somewhere around there. In a few years those small trees should be big enough and be back online. Or maybe tap some of those smaller trees and figure them in as culls.

I would've had the rest of the mainline pulled out of my existing woods, but it poured most of the day. I'll get it wrapped up next weekend. Still no word in response to my letter asking them to reconsider.

Maplewalnut
06-07-2010, 10:05 AM
Have a neighbor that would let me tap his property and will allow year round tubing. Took a look last weekend and I could definitely get 500+ taps in there pretty easily. Just not sure I have enough time or money to do this year. Would need another tank, releaser, pump and then all the tube and fittings. I figure about $6K to do the job.

Decisions, decisions!

adk1
06-07-2010, 10:24 AM
I have one of those as well. It is not a winch, it is a hoist. they are designed to lift verticle..A winch horizontal. I use my gambrel and it doubles the capacity

Randy Brutkoski
06-07-2010, 11:42 AM
Time to get a bigger evaporator Maplewalnut.

ennismaple
06-07-2010, 12:28 PM
We got the snot washed out of the pans yesterday. Everything below the water line is shiny like new. Some of the valves are soaking for a bit longer to get the sugar out of them but otherwise it's clean enough to go again next spring. We also managed to get through most of the pile of pine logs and get them cut to length. Now I need to find someone with the time and energy to split the wood and fill pallets!

Maplewalnut
06-07-2010, 07:20 PM
Time to get a bigger evaporator Maplewalnut.

Come on, no one ever expands operations in this hobby. Not saying I'm not looking for a 3x8 or 4x10 though!

3rdgen.maple
06-07-2010, 09:31 PM
With a 2x6 and that ro maplewalnut you should be just fine with the additional 500 taps. Dang take a look at Nate's tap count on a 2x6 with ro.

Maplewalnut
06-08-2010, 07:05 AM
With a 2x6 and that ro maplewalnut you should be just fine with the additional 500 taps. Dang take a look at Nate's tap count on a 2x6 with ro.

I'll be fine for a while but like almost everyone else I never thought I would exceed 300 taps so I am not sure where I'll end up. I'm pretty sure Nate upsized his rig for next year.

Jim Brown
06-08-2010, 07:18 AM
Malpewalnut; we run 1300 taps on Vac with an RO-Steamaway and a 2x6. Make between 3-4 gallon per hour when up to speed!Longest boil has been 7 hours and out of sap!

Jim

caseyssugarshack93
06-08-2010, 04:04 PM
2000 on vac 2x6 wse r/o 20% conentrate, longest boil 5 hours

red maples
06-08-2010, 05:29 PM
so I see you finally upgraded from the 2x6 to a 3x10 good for you!!! bet your excited!!!!

Russell Lampron
06-08-2010, 05:31 PM
I have 700+ taps, most of them on vacuum. I concentrate to 18% and the longest boil was 3.5 hours with the 2x6. Shortest for the mostest boil 1.75 hours from the time the fire was lit till I was out of sap. Started with 700 gallons of sap and made 11+ gallons of syrup. Mom and Dad were here for that one. Dad said "we never drew of syrup like that with the 4x12 we used to have!" It's amazing what you can do with an RO and a 2x6.

ADKMAPLE
06-08-2010, 08:51 PM
Wow, that mainline is serious...

red maples
06-09-2010, 06:57 AM
thats good news for me. because as I grow over time I will just invest in the RO instead of a bigger evap. I should be able to add another 100 to 150 or so taps on my property. this past season I was able to keep up on the 250 taps with vacuum and 50 gravity (although gravity bad for 2010) pretty easy the next jump will probably be for 2012 of 50 -75 taps. we'll see when the time comes. then 50 -75 taps for the 2013 season and be around 4-500 taps when it gets to be too much we'll get the RO.

TF Maple
06-09-2010, 05:56 PM
Continuing to take apart the nieghbors barn that blew down. I sawed thru the vacuum pipe to rescue the vacuum gauge and old controller. I never saw a controller like this old thing. Has a wire cage over it, then a part that screws down on a copper ball and spring. I took some pictures below and show it as I was taking it apart.

brookledge
06-09-2010, 06:49 PM
That picture is just a vacuum regulator. The screen over it is so no dirt gets sucked in. Probably clean it up a little and it will still work
Keith

red maples
06-10-2010, 06:35 PM
I just thought about maple today. rain most of the day but we need it.

man my chickens love the rain!!! they were outside most of the day just pecking away. I stopped at the local farm stand and pick up some strawberries and I threw them one and they started to fight over it:)

Revi
06-10-2010, 07:58 PM
I think there are strawberries ripening around here too. I can see why the chickens fight over them! I'm going to look around for some this weekend. Strawberries with maple syrup and whipped cream sounds good to me!

Russell Lampron
06-11-2010, 05:29 AM
I usually have a biscuit and whipped cream with my strawberries. I will have to try them with maple syrup now!

red maples
06-11-2010, 06:24 AM
These don't need anything. even though I like them with whipped cream and a touch of maple sugar. they are so sweet so much better than what you get at the store!!! Farm fresh everything is better. Chicken actually tastes like chicken and has flavor, Pork not the other white meat... its RED!!! and so juicey and good. Tomatoes oh love tomatoes right out of the garden!!! "shnozberries taste like shnozberries" (sorry wonka quote:rolleyes: )

But its nice to taste stuff that is not mass produced and folks that put love and care about what they are growing!

Ausable
06-11-2010, 07:53 AM
Well -- Memorial Weekend - Several of the family and friends were up to the local camp ground at their trailers. We went to a good yard sale and my Son picked up a large LP Gas outdoor stove and I bought a large metal grill to go with it. We cleaned them up and had to try them out - as luck would have it - we had some of our good old maple syrup along.... So --- We started cooking pancakes (20 at a time) with breakfast brats, sausage and bacon cooking and coffee perking. Even the little Great-grandkids (who usually eat junk and juice) ate and ate. Loved the maple syrup on the flap jacks. So good ole home made maple syrup came through again........

adk1
06-11-2010, 08:11 AM
Here is a question, how many of you require, prior to goign to breakfast out, that your wife pack a pint in her purse..I am #1 for that (even though its technically not made by me..yet!)

red maples
06-11-2010, 09:36 AM
are you kidding!!!! OK here's my problem with ALL the breakfast restaurants up here(at least around my house anyway)

WE LIVE IN NEW ENGLAND WHY DON'T YOU SERVE PURE MAPLE SYRUP???!!!!

I can't believe that they all serve that crap flavored corn syrup. I always bring a little 1/2 pint with me when ever I go out. 'cause I know they won't have the the real stuff. even if they charge me extra for it I will pay!!!!

adk1
06-11-2010, 09:43 AM
yeah, some of them will give you the real stuff but charge extra....I jsut bring my own..BYOS "Bring Your Own Syrup"

Haynes Forest Products
06-11-2010, 01:28 PM
For about 5 years I would take the family to Waffel House every sunday like clock work. I would walk in and they would know not to ask what I wanted or how I wanted it served. Kids were the same and we would bring in a small plastic jug. After a while they aked if I wanted to leave a bigger jug so I would have it ready. Came in on sunday and they told me that they used it up because it was so good and they were very sorry so I was back to bringing my own stash every day.

adk1
06-11-2010, 02:53 PM
Man, I would ahve busted some asses for using it up on you! Hey, wonder if any procuder has tried to get into the waffle house to sell their syrup!

farmall h
06-11-2010, 07:45 PM
It is amazing as to how much the diners charge for real maple syrup...$1.75 for a shot glass! I always order two x-tra.:) Also, ever notice that when someone leaves syrup on the table (left overs) and the waitress cleans the table and takes it back to the kitchen...does she pour it back in to the container or dump it? Hmmmmm..I wonder.;)
Working on the wood pile this weekend...yeeha.

Revi
06-11-2010, 08:50 PM
I always bring along a half pint when we go out. It fits into the cup holder in the car, so we have it with us before church and on Saturday mornings.

They know I bring it and I share with friends if they are there. I refill the half pint sometimes from a bigger jug.

red maples
06-11-2010, 10:29 PM
If I had a bigger operation I would definitly try to sell to them but for now I just have to bring it. but they are getting to know me. I see breakfast places come and go around here. We have rogan's in exeter. Thats the best one around most of the other guys just do breakfast badly!!! and don't last long. new one just took over the restaurant in my town gonna try it on sunday morning. we'll see how it goes this will be the 3rd owner in 3 years. in a small town if your do it bad once your done!!!

I am gonna start putting recipes on my web page one every month check it out. they won't be all mine but I will give credit where credit is due. june recipe Maple cinnamon French Toast. July recipe maple cured applewood smoked bacon.

stoweski
06-12-2010, 05:27 AM
Went to a small cafe in town last weekend. I started to order pancakes but the waitress said they use the fake stuff. I asked about real syrup and she said they took it off the menu because it was too expensive. I learned my lesson, next time I'll bring my own!

Moving my 2x6 into my sugarshack this morning. It's been sitting on the trailer for two weeks. Can't wait to see how it fits in the shack. Right now it's crammed packed with the usual maple related equipment and all of our beekeeping stuff. Bees have had a tremendous spring and we'll be starting to extract honey in the next month or so. Can't wait!

Of course, the wood pile has not grown any bigger in the past few weeks. Really need to get out there and wrap things up for both home and the shack.

red maples
06-12-2010, 08:24 AM
wood today!!!! I have to get a cord done between today and tomorrow that will give me the 6 cords I need for next season!!!

and finish the garden fence and plant just a plant some creeping thyme and I am done with the garden.

farmall h
06-12-2010, 08:29 AM
Supposed to have 6-7 cord of white birch delivered today...exchanged for boarding heifers for logger up the road. White birch is probably not the most for btu's but its better than wet slabs. I will mix with maple and see how it performs. Delivered log length right in front of the sugar house door!
Gotta give my "right-hand" man something to keep busy at...10 yr. old boy and one more week of school left.
Truck is coming up drive way.......gotta go!

3rdgen.maple
06-12-2010, 12:51 PM
I cannot get a darn thing done outside here, been raining for days and days and days. Im heading to Groves Ohio for the next 7 days for certification and just got done planting the garden and mowing the lawns in the rain before I leave.

Paddymountain
06-12-2010, 03:34 PM
Got to work on my new sugarshack roof a little today, I put the flashing around the cupola and have the doors together and ready to put up, I still
need to put siding on the ends of the cupola, but I got rained out, and its
time to go to the grandaughters 2nd birthday party!!

stoweski
06-12-2010, 06:48 PM
I tore apart the door of my sugarshack today while moving the 1/2 pint out to make room for the 2x6. Luckily it's not as bad as it looks and will only need two boards replaced but 'darn' it made a loud noise!

Got the 2x6 in the shack in between the rain drops. Still need to move it to it's final location but at least the 800+ lb load is in the shack.

July 2nd I'll be starting my 12 x 14 roof addition to cover my wood and sap storage tank.

whalems
06-13-2010, 07:30 AM
Just got about 3 cords of wood given to me from a new house project. The excavator had it all limbed up and cut in 8' lenghts. just had to slide in the truck and go. took two fo us about 20 minutes to get it all loaded. Now that was a nice way to get firewood!:lol:

Sugarmaker
06-13-2010, 08:17 AM
Pallets are piling up! May have to get a bigger evaporator if I dont get them cut up:)
All this talk about breakfast ! I decided we are going out somewhere this morning!
Not much work on maple this week.
Got the CUB 102 purring like a kitten, after and new head gasket install and some wiring upgrade.
I did get the gasket sealing material for the WRU to the pan. 1/8 inch FDA white foam, adhesive backed. Also have a new design in the making to remount the winch to see if it works better.
Several good orders for syrup this week too.
Received the candy molds from the trader classified ads. These match the others we have and will allow some larger batches to be made.

Regards,
Chris

Amber Gold
06-13-2010, 10:11 AM
Got the last of the mainline off the one neighbor's property that logging. It looked a lot better w/ all the blue stuff in the woods. I think I can salvage 80+ taps off my other neighbor which is still up. Need to determine if I run vac. on it or not. Would need to get a smaller vac. pump though...my 15 cfm LR pump is a bit overkill for 80 taps and would cost too much to run.

Now it's time to start concentrating on the new woods.

red maples
06-13-2010, 11:08 AM
hey sugarmaker I was going to get those candy molds! you beat me oh well.

Got some more wood done yesterday put in a few hours in the light rain man almost got my quota just a little more to go maybe like 2-3 hours. raining a bit harder today maybe tomorrow.

went to breakfast this morning at the new place was packed, new owners and they did an excellent job even real homefries the one "not" put into the fryer. checked the syrup. sat down at the table and smelled the syrup and said OH MAN! fake!!! Dam...BUT NEVER FEAR MY SYRUP IS HERE!!! Had pint of Gr. B by my side, I always get a few looks when I bring it but I am not eating that pole sap!!! just say NO!!!

yep that big vac would be just a bit much on those. good to hear your getting some stuff done josh.

Farmboy
06-13-2010, 08:22 PM
I got a new evaporator today :) :) :) :). It is a 30" X 8' GH Grimm lighting raised flue. I need to go back and pick up a 200+ gallon stainless milk tank. It's in pretty good shape. I need to replace a few peices of tin on the back but I have enough stainless to retin the back half of it. Now I need to sell my 2X3 so I can pour concrete in my shack. Pm me if you are intrested in the 2X3. Now I just need to split a few more cords of wood for next season. I only have 3.5 cords ready. I can't wait till next season. I need to find more trees to put tubing on.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
06-13-2010, 08:53 PM
Congrats on the new to you purchase and I know you are extremely excited. Will be a big step up for you and hope you find all the taps you need. Be a lot different making more syrup in an hour than you made in a day with you other evaporator.

mapleack
06-13-2010, 09:15 PM
Congrats on the new to you Evaporator Farmboy! Thats a great feeling, just wait until the first boil in it!

gator330
06-14-2010, 01:06 PM
Is it june already!!!! Every thing is a reck!!!! No wood, no sugar house (it gave way to 200 chickens). Got the electric in the barn that is going to be a sugar house cement didn't go as planed money is gone... any way. Nice weather, 3 acres of nice garden is in and life is good. Heading north soon for a week and then west for two weeks later in the year. Some how sugar season will come around and every thing will be ready. Off to my second job (the one that pays the bills that is).

red maples
06-15-2010, 11:11 AM
AAAhhh me time !!! 2 hours just me and my chainsaw in the woods!!! and a nice breeze to lick away the sweat!!!

220 maple
06-15-2010, 07:52 PM
The tourist trap called Monday, I delivered them candy last Tuesday, the clerk who enjoys herself way too much when she gets to call me to let me know that the supply is running low stated that they only had 10 packages left in the basket! I called them a few minutes ago and the owners said they had sold out. I promissed them candy with in the next two days. The owner told me last year they could sell 1000 packages of sugar candy between Memorial Weekend and the last weekend when the leaves fall, somewhere near the last weekend in October. Last Tuesday when I delivered candy and restocked the Syrup display they revised the candy sales to 2000 packages during their tourist season. On top of the candy they have moved 27 lbs of Maple coated Nuts all in 4 oz. bags. They also moved a gallon jug of syrup at 52 dollars and a half gallon jug at 29 dollar. I let them have the gallon at 40 dollars and the half at 22 dollars. Everybody is Happy.

Mark 220 Maple

Gary R
06-15-2010, 08:14 PM
Haven't done too much Maple here. I did paint the sugar shack. It really did look rough. I tried to get Maple colored paint. The closest thing I could find at Home Depot was called exotic honey. I'm not that happy with it. It looks like a mustard shack:emb: Oh well...

red maples
06-15-2010, 11:49 PM
well I got a fews maples a little more sun today I am sure that hole in the canopy will close up quickly as they usually do! but its gettin' there!!!

ADKMAPLE
06-16-2010, 06:00 AM
I need to do what Red Maples is doing but havent had the time. Still picking up the brushy mess and old downed logs, branches that will make walking on the snow covered side hill while gathering pretty dangerous!

red maples
06-16-2010, 06:22 AM
yeah but its slow and steady process. Got nasty leaner big oak from the wind storm its not going to fall but the problem is it leaning on a sugar and the sugar is right in the crotch of this oak and it is still alive so what I might do is collar it and cut it down next year. or try to cut it chunk by chunk until it is straight then pull it back the other way !!! I don't know I I have to think about for a bit!!!

adk1
06-16-2010, 10:02 AM
Post some pics Red

red maples
06-16-2010, 10:25 AM
I tried I can't really get good picture of the "Leaner" it leaning right at the roots which are still very connected on one side it grew over an old stump and one side of the bell(stump) doesn't have any roots on it. the oak is about 22-24" and the maple is not quite 8 inches but I don't have too many of the sugars mostly reds but it is a healthy tree which I don't want to loose. and there is another 12" + sugar maple about 20 ft away too so I think I might loose the little maple but If I collar the Oak at least the branches will die and break as it falls through the other trees.

Jeff E
06-16-2010, 04:37 PM
Here in NW Wi it has been cool and wet. Trees are doing good, other than late May wind taking out some trees. Finished chainsaw work and repairing lines yesterday.
Firewood is 2/3 done. Getting piggyback unit for evaporator so I hope to save some wood. We will see.

Working on bottling system, retail outlets. Gotta sell the stuff!
Anyone need galv buckets with lids and taps? Guy over here selling out and has 1000 to sell.

driske
06-16-2010, 05:38 PM
The Angus Herd takes most of our time and effort this time of year, as calving is drawing to a close.
Thank God for the abundant rainfall of the last 2 weeks. Approx. 4", and spaced out enough that scarcely any ran off.
I should be in the woods, cleaning up culls and thinning. However, the Bride has reprioritized the" to do" list. Flower beds, bike rides and a breakfast nook, have all superseded Maple for the short term.
She muttered something underneath her breath like " All industry and no artistry equates to brutality." We all know how brutal life can be with no nook(ie).;)

ADKMAPLE
06-16-2010, 06:10 PM
driskie, I hear yeah man! this past weekend in between my kids birthday party and other commitments, I had a few hours of time and was "planning" on hitting the sugarbush with the saw...Unfortunatly the wife, knowing I was becoming restless, informed me that I need to finish trimming out our two exterior door entryways.....Which I did....

red maples
06-16-2010, 07:53 PM
man I got so many projects 1/2 done. my wife is in boston at a meeting since monday she's coming home tomorrow so I finally finished turning a hallway closet into a bookshelf and cabinet which only took me 3-4 years to finish and hour or 2 oh every 3-4 months!!!! so she can load it up when she comes home!!! I wanna put in a really nice horse shoe pit but I have to build a little farm stand-cart , and finish putting the fence up around the veg garden the deer could get into it easy if they wanted to but it helps.

its rough trying to get to the maple projects(and fishing:) ) around coaching softball, end of school stuff, dance recitals, taking the kids to the beach...well I like that one:D

ADKMAPLE
06-17-2010, 06:02 AM
I hear you there red....Maple comes last at this house that is for sure, especially since I havent even starting making syrup yet!:lol:

Sugarmaker
06-17-2010, 11:55 AM
Wow stuff is happening on the trader! New evaporators, additions, expansions....painting, fishing, calving, gardening......

Red,
Sorry i beat you out on the molds. They are good ones. When Im gone you can bid on them at the auction:)

I now have the WUR set on the rear pan with the hood and rear steam pipe in place ready for a test boil. Now I am really glad I took the time to level the arch.
On the winch thing ( These are cheap China winches You get what you pay for) I took the worm gear out of one of the other winches and replaced it, and was able to use the single winch with two cables to lift the WRU. I added the gasket material and reset the WRU. added gasket material and set the hood.

I have to get some 1 inch pan gasket material for the space between the pans from Scott Durfee.

Still need to plumb in the air bubbler system and we should be ready to do a test boil on the WRU.

Gary,
You sugar shack is the same color as our maple mustard. You'll learn to love it! Nice!

Regards,
Chris

Russell Lampron
06-18-2010, 05:38 AM
Not much maple stuff going on here either. I did buy an air operated diaphragm pump to replace the hand pump on my filter press. It is only has 3/8" ports, not the 1/2" ports that I wanted but it is a compact size that will be easy to adapt. For $99 plus shipping it was a good deal even if I have to resell it to get a bigger one if it doesn't work as planned.

I saw Tuckermtn last night at the Fisher Cats game. We didn't have time talk because the game was starting. Because of the maple hobby I see someone I know just about everywhere that I go.

red maples
06-18-2010, 07:00 AM
Red,
Sorry i beat you out on the molds. They are good ones. When Im gone you can bid on them at the auction:)

Chris

ITs all good!! I don't need quite that many and need a nice NH mold anyway!!!

tuckermtn
06-18-2010, 07:08 AM
Yes good to see Russ and family briefly at the Fisher Cats game...my girls were getting ancy so we left in the 8th- just as the Cats came back to beat the Akron Arrows...yes its fun to run in to maple folks all over..

got to jug more syrup as just had several 6-10 gallon orders...anything maple in June is a good thing...

Amber Gold
06-18-2010, 07:13 AM
Things were going good with the new property owner. Adding a wet/dry system, graded out the new dump point to his workshop, updated tap count, informally agreed on a lease length and payment structure...everything was going great. Got a letter last night and a complete 180. He's not interested in tapping his trees anymore and is pulling all his lines down. I'm not sure what happened. I called him last night but he didn't want to talk about it. At this point there's a lot of unanswered questions.

With what's happened this spring (one property owner logging their property and then this) I don't know if I want to continue sugaring. Why put all this time and effort into setting everything up and getting a business established, just to have a property owner change their mind and I'm left holding the bag. On a good note, business is going very good and I'm project to sell 150-180 gal...bad part is w/ my remaining taps (~80) I'm going to make maybe 20 gal next year. At this point, the only option I'm aware of are front yard buckets around town, but then how many can I really collect and boil every night and work full time.

mapleack
06-18-2010, 07:22 AM
Wow Josh, sorry to hear that! Keep your head up, more trees will come your way. Have you thought about advertising locally?

caseyssugarshack93
06-18-2010, 07:44 AM
wow josh, that really sucks, Im getting the same treatment but only on 200 taps, but i wanted to get out of there anyway, but i really hope you find a place with some good people to let you sugar there, that sucks you lost out on a really nice sugarbush. i hope everything works out,

red maples
06-18-2010, 08:21 AM
Wow man sorry Josh. wonder why? ( his wife maybe?) sometimes they have alot of pull when it comes to that stuff, we know that you we have to pick our battles. last minute health issues? who knows until you can talk to him, right. good thing you didn't pull the trigger on major expenses!!! hope you can work things out. maybe an option would to be lesser tap count maybe 3-4-500 taps at least you could get to where you were. before you lost the first bush.

the good thing is it is still early in the year. so keep your hopes up am sure something will pop up.

Maplewalnut
06-18-2010, 08:33 AM
I'd give him a couple days to cool down and maybe as everyone says there maybe a middle ground he can live with... maybe less taps, shorter lease??? . Keep looking Josh, you'll find something. I am scared of the same thing and I also have a neighbor 'who wants his property tapped' I decided to put it off a year and am putting the money into upgrading my own lines this year to make sure I at least capitalize on what I can control on my own property.

Mike

Yellzee
06-18-2010, 12:05 PM
just when I thought I was getting Sunday morning to myself to hit the woods (or fish) I was informed I was getting taken to a fathers day brunch.... Oh joy!

Any advice on what age the kids have to reach before Dad actually gets to do what he wants on Fathers day?

Been cutting some wood over the past couple weeks to try and get something drying for next year.

adk1
06-18-2010, 12:16 PM
any age. I have only been a dad for 6 years, but realized 6 years ago that I let me family know my plans a few weeks in advance.:)
But they do include my kids, they like to help split wood, picl up branches and ride the ATV

Haynes Forest Products
06-18-2010, 04:19 PM
I like to do the grilling and big event cooking so I do all the birthdays, holidays and every Sunday breakfast so I get to call the shots. Plus if you dress like I do no one wants to go out in public with you anyway:o Plus Im down to 1 good Garhart shirt and its in the wash so I aint going:)

red maples
06-18-2010, 04:40 PM
just when I thought I was getting Sunday morning to myself to hit the woods (or fish) I was informed I was getting taken to a fathers day brunch.... Oh joy!

Any advice on what age the kids have to reach before Dad actually gets to do what he wants on Fathers day?

Been cutting some wood over the past couple weeks to try and get something drying for next year.

pfft...when they are out of the house and live in another state or providence in your case!

I got a homemade coupon to get a new grill for father's day which I am gonna get tonight but if I drink too many of these coronas I am not going anywhere!!! but they taste so good after a day at the beach!!!!

Amber Gold
06-18-2010, 06:58 PM
The property owner called me tonight and he's coming over to drop off my NA Maple Producers Manual and to explain things. I've discussed this with others and the likely reason may be some sort of illness. He did say in his letter he wasn't interested in having someone else tap his property. He was stopping all together. We'll see tomorrow.

Problem being on the seacoast is decent sized stands are hard to come by. Things are pretty populated. I'd be happy staying at 3-400 (which I don't know if I can even do that), I'd just like to grow so I can meet demand and not have to buy in most of my syrup. I don't feel right as a producer if most of the syrup I'm selling is not my own. I don't mind bulk to supplement, but I don't want it be the majority.

ADKMAPLE
06-18-2010, 07:10 PM
Here is what happened. He read the NA Producers manual and suddenly felt like he wanted to do it. so my guess is that he will be doing it himslef. that is my prediction, let me know if I am wrong, or, someone in his imediate family wants to do it.

brookledge
06-18-2010, 07:19 PM
Josh
Sorry to hear that. What where you offering per tap for rent? Do you think he might change his mind for more money?
Keith

red maples
06-18-2010, 08:14 PM
Problem being on the seacoast is decent sized stands are hard to come by. Things are pretty populated. .

thats the truth!!! most of the property around my house used to be a maple farm like 75 years ago called "maple hill farm" or something but the price of maple for furniture and the need for farm pasture took priority. So there was over 5-600 acres clear cut and logged off. some has grown back but is mostly white pine, and beech with soem scattered black birch, some red maple, and and a little oak here and there, my property was just lucky it wasn't cut beacuse it was wet!!! and the red malples prevailed here.

anyway Good luck josh!!!

keep us posted we're pulling for you!

3rdgen.maple
06-18-2010, 11:32 PM
Well finally home from my Ohio trip for certification on a peice of mailing euipment. I managed to pass with good results and got my certification from the factory to now service this line of equipment. Dont know if anyone cares but Im pretty happy right now. Take a look at this youtube video of the machine running. The thing is stuffing envelopes at 22000 an hour but the instructor and myself had it up to 26000 after we installed a few new upgrades. Man its fast. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHAKwZX8wXY&feature=related
Now Im home its wood cutting time and wrapping up some maple related projects and start the layout of a new vac setup.

red maples
06-19-2010, 08:00 AM
Wow that is fast....dam bills and junk mail coming at ease!!!:(

TRAILGUY
06-19-2010, 10:27 AM
Amber Gold if all else fails with me know. Got a few maybes. 600 plus
mike

Amber Gold
06-19-2010, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the support. This has been very discouraging that's for sure.

The property owner came over today and we discussed what happened. We had discussed an agreement w/ payment terms, what would happen if he passes away, and a few other items. I basically took the standard form that's in the producers manual and modified it based on our discussions. He thought the agreement gave all the rights to the renter and limited what he could do on his property. I left the agreement with him to review and get back to me with comments...nothing was set in stone and was open for discussion. I think he took the agreement the wrong way and instead of discussing it, he decided he was done tapping.

He's not interested in producing syrup. He's older (mid-60's) and isn't interested. He's been selling sap from his property for about 8 years.

Keith, he supplied all the tubing/mainline materials and we both provided labor. He was getting $0.20/gal at 2% and adjusted from there based on SSC. The biggest check from the previous producer was $1700. I estimated by adding vacuum he'd make approximately $3500 the first year and then once the entire system was upgraded it'd be in the $5-6000 range per year. He was going to do quite well.

We discussed things and things seem to be on good terms. He's not interested in any agreement. I asked if he would consider something on a smaller scale and take it year by year. If I stay the same size then I don't have to buy any equipment and an agreement isn't an issue. I did run some numbers and if I buy used equipment I will break even money wise in a year. The only issue would be ramping up for 2000 taps and then if something changes not having 2000 taps down the road. I'd have to think about it to see if it's worth it. Fortunately I haven't spent any money, so I'm not out there, but I did have a vac. pump, releaser, and RO lined up waiting. We'll see how that goes.

I'll keep everybody updated as things progress.

Thanks again.

Dennis H.
06-19-2010, 07:33 PM
Hey 3rdGen, it's great to that they are making new mailing equipment. It keeps me employeed also sorting that mail and getting it out to the people!

You think that is fast you should see the letter sorting machines that will put the letters into carrier walk sequence at 38K/hr, just mind numbing watching those letters fly thru the machine.

Anyway just got back from a trip by train to the Phila Zoo with the family. It was a fun day with the family. It was a relaxing trip by Amtrak knowing I didn't have to drive the SureKill Highway into Phila.

farmall h
06-19-2010, 08:33 PM
Removed some tubing today in order to yank out some fallen tops from our last big wind storm. In doing so I was able to shorten my laterals down to 10-12 taps. Kinda tedious but it was a nice day and it had to be done. Was able to do 100 or so taps.

Farmboy
06-21-2010, 03:41 PM
Yesterday I sold my old 2X3 evaporator. I have the sickness bad. There is no going back now. I plan on pouring a cement floor in the sugar shack this year and putting up tubing. Hopefully 200+ taps. This will only be my thrid year. I did also cut some wood yesterday.

Revi
06-21-2010, 09:31 PM
I think you are doing the right thing Farmboy. You are going to need a 2x6 for 200 taps. It's just as much work to make more syrup if you don't count the extra wood you have to cut...

Thad Blaisdell
06-22-2010, 05:17 AM
I just had a talk with my neighbor last night, I had asked a year ago about tapping trees on his land, he has about 5000 taps available, he said no. Last night he informed me that he is going to tap about 3000 himself, and sell the sap...... I would have to haul the sap about 200 yards. This will put me well over 10,000 taps.

red maples
06-22-2010, 09:21 AM
oh I so like splitting the wood for the house better than for the syrup!!!! you don't have to split it so small and it goes so much quicker!!! found a nice partially dead big beech thats coming down tomorrow, too:) get that big boy done cut a few tops that got damamged in the wind and that should do it for wood. ye ha happy dance!!! just gotta get it out of the woods!!! its all split and stacked "in the woods" I find it makes less mess out there than doing up at the house. I can just let the bark pieces and splinters and stuff lay. less work on clean up!!! an dless work is always good...well just gives you a few extra minutes to do some other work!!!:-|

Yellzee
06-22-2010, 10:45 AM
Since I had a kid come down with Chickenpox I got to spend fathers day home all day sitting by the pool as I had hoped. Kid is fine other than his new spotted look so we all had a blast. Nice warm day.

We keep getting enough rain around here that is making it impossible for me to do much maintenance in the woods, if I try and take the 4 wheeler out back I just tear up the ruts even deeper.

red maples
06-22-2010, 02:46 PM
I have to say we could use a little rain. I think there is a little coming tonight. a bit dry around here.

Dennis H.
06-22-2010, 07:02 PM
Hotter than the face of the sun here today and it is to get hotter as the week goes! Oh Yeah.

I still was able to get out and do some sugarin' work. I went over all the lat's and got them perfect. Now I need to go over the mains and tighten things up and I should be god to go.

I now have all my wood cut split and stacked well ahead of how I was doing last year!

Haynes Forest Products
06-22-2010, 07:20 PM
Dennis fixing all your lines this early in the year is called practice:lol:

Dennis H.
06-22-2010, 08:08 PM
I hear yeah. I was kind or bored not doing anything with sugar'in lately so I fugure I would walk the lines.

I am just wasting time till the new evap shows up. That is why I am heading to Oklahoma for a few weeks, get away from here so I don't have to keep going up to the sugarshack wonder how I am going to put everything in there.

I do have to call Chris at The Maple Guys to find out what size smoke stack comes with the evap and then getting a roof Jack for it.
Once the evap does get here man will I be busy!!

3rdgen.maple
06-22-2010, 08:10 PM
Still raining here Red if you want some come and get it. It is getting real old fast. Next 4 days call for rain still. Did have a very cool dinner tonight. I got some techs in from Amsterdam, London and Holland and took them to the Dinosaur BBQ tonight. Very interesting group. The guy in london lives in a home built in 1710 that is made out of thatch and cow manure. I got a little chuckle out of that seeing how some houses around here look like crap and this guy actually lives in one made out of it. Not one of them has ever had real maple syrup so I guess I got to bring some with me tomarrow to pass out.

ADKMAPLE
06-22-2010, 08:32 PM
DennisH, what evap did you order???? Cant wait to get to that point!

stoweski
06-23-2010, 06:06 AM
I got some techs in from Amsterdam, London and Holland and took them to the Dinosaur BBQ tonight. Very interesting group.

Send some of that Dinosaur over here, will ya? They're suppose to be opening in Troy sometime in September. Pushed it back from July. Guess they're teasing us. That means we'll have to wait 'til December before we can get within 10 miles of the place.

Sounds like your friends fit right in at the Dinosaur. It's a great place for people watching.

adk1
06-23-2010, 08:21 AM
Never been to one but Troy is only 45 minutes from me:D

Yellzee
06-23-2010, 01:59 PM
Dinosaurs... yes time for a road trip syracuse way...

Just had an earthquake here in the non-earthquake zone, looking on line it happened on the quebec ontario border which is at least 180 km away from us. 5.5 Magnitude.

3rdgen.maple
06-23-2010, 08:58 PM
I tell you guys I have traveled all over this country and it is definatley nice to have the best bbq place just 30 minutes from home. If any of you get near a Dinasour BBq make some time to stop in. There is not to many things in life better than a good bbq and an ice cold picture of beer to wash her down. I think maybe some of us should pic a day and head over for a meet and eat. Just dont pic on the tattooed bikers lol.

jgrenier
06-23-2010, 09:53 PM
You can count me in I will be at my camp in oswego some time july not sure what weekend it will be yet. I never pass up a good BBQ joint.

3rdgen.maple
06-24-2010, 12:05 AM
Where is your camp in Oswego. I guessing your refering to the county not the city? Let me know when your up I live in Oswego county I would be glad to take you. Anyone else coming along?

stoweski
06-24-2010, 06:03 AM
I'll make the trip, depending on the date as well. Only problem is getting in the joint! I've never found a 'good' time to go there since it's always been packed noon, afternoon, evening, and night.

3rdgen, pull a few strings and rent out the place for the traders! :D

Oh, and man this weather sucks! It may not be hot up here but it's like soup outside. Since I live in the woods the air is stagnant and smells like a wet basement. Yuck!

Dennis H.
06-24-2010, 06:52 AM
ADK1, I am getting a Lapierre Thrifty 2x5.

I really wanted to get a 2x6 but there was no way to fit that thing in my small sugarshack. Even a 2x5 will be tight. I couldn't foot the bill for both a new evap and a new or enlarged sugarshack.

jgrenier
06-24-2010, 07:19 AM
My camp is in the town of oswego but i go right though Syracuse and up 481 to get there I also spend alot of time in altmar and polaski. I will le you know when i will be up.

Farmboy
06-24-2010, 05:24 PM
Today I went out in the woods and counted 35 more taps I didn't get to last year. That will put me just over 100. I am running some tuning but on some parts it's not worth it and i want to try sap sacks.

3rdgen.maple
06-24-2010, 10:30 PM
My camp is in the town of oswego but i go right though Syracuse and up 481 to get there I also spend alot of time in altmar and polaski. I will le you know when i will be up.

You are a fisherman then. I live in Altmar well sort of. Im between pineville and Altmar. There is about a mile stretch that is between the two that is nameless but since the mail going to pineville is still adressed altmar I guess we can call it altmar. Kids tell there friends we live nowhere. lol Definetly let us know the dates and maybe we can plan this deal around that time. Just hope it isnt the first week of the month on call 24/7 then.
Stoweski I found if you get there at like 1130 or 4 ish you will get seated asap. Parking is the killer though but since they put in the lot across the street they bang you 4 bucks to park. Still it is worth the extra coin and the wait.

jgrenier
06-27-2010, 09:34 PM
You are a fisherman then. I live in Altmar well sort of. Im between pineville and Altmar. There is about a mile stretch that is between the two that is nameless but since the mail going to pineville is still adressed altmar I guess we can call it altmar. Kids tell there friends we live nowhere. lol Definetly let us know the dates and maybe we can plan this deal around that time. Just hope it isnt the first week of the month on call 24/7 then.
Stoweski I found if you get there at like 1130 or 4 ish you will get seated asap. Parking is the killer though but since they put in the lot across the street they bang you 4 bucks to park. Still it is worth the extra coin and the wait.

OK you got me figured out. I am a fisherman although I have not spent as much time out there in NY as I usually do each year because I have spent way more time and money doing things with making maple sugar at home. When september and october come around I will be out there every other weekend. Also if your ever in Oswego there is a fantastic BBQ joint on the river called The raging river BBQ I would recomend it if you like BBQ.

3rdgen.maple
06-27-2010, 10:10 PM
in Oswego atleast 2 times a week. I have been to there. Good food but the dinasour is still tops in my book. Be sure to look me up on one of your trips. I live right on the Salmon. Sure hope you havent skipped the steelhead in the winter cause it has been fenominal fishing here past few years.

Dennis H.
06-28-2010, 08:26 AM
I just got the word by email that my evap is finished and waiting for me to either go pick it up or have it delivered.

The bummer of it all is that in just over one week I am heading to Oklahoma for 3 weeks for training. So it looks like the soonest that I will be able to get it is in Aug. Oh Well.

Amber Gold
06-28-2010, 11:15 AM
Had a busy weekend. Spent Saturday morning buying and bottling syrup, the afternoon at a cookout, and that night attempting to make cream (failed miserably for some reason). Sunday was Barrington Farm Tour day and that went very well. Sales typically shutdown during the summer, but this was a good venue. I probably sold about 10 gallons. It was also a good way to put the word out that I'm looking to expand. I have a lead on a 80 acre lot with red maples...don't know if it's any good, but I'm going to check it out. Also another lead on what sounds like a row of field trees...going to check that out as well.

Barrington had a farm tour day yesterday, which we participated in. Turnout was good...maybe 100 people. It was a good boost to summer sales and helps to get my name out better. Sales are up to ~120 gal for the year...very nice. Barrington will have a community market once per month through September and I will probably participate in that. There's also Natural Heritage Day that I may participate in, then the holiday season...wonder if I'll break 200 gal in sales this year. I really need to expand next season to capitalize on this.

Yellzee
06-28-2010, 12:59 PM
Syracuse is a bit of a trip, but I just might make it to ensure some Canuck representation... although not sure they would vote me to be their spokesperson. there are a few here that would make the trip for ribs, but they are already sick of hearing me talk about maple syrup.... we can get them their own table!

Talk of new equipment making me jealous.

Still cutting wood out at the neighbors farm, saving my maple trees for tapping instead of firewood.

For the experts out there.... how much is an RO likely to cost me or is it worth it for 150 to 200 taps?

jgrenier
06-28-2010, 04:34 PM
I'm no expert but i think that a good 2x6 evaporator would be more cost affective for that many taps And leave room for future expantion.

red maples
06-28-2010, 05:06 PM
Boy its hot and humid today!!! Getting some lumber to for the little farm stand tomorrow. I gotta get together...Got a ton of radished ready to go. + syrup of course. and should have some scallions ready, and peas in few days!! should have peppers and tomatoes in about 2-3 weeks, and eggs in about 1-1/2 months.

speaking of eggs. Dam red tailed hawks got 3 chickens 2 weeks ago!!! the youngens' are flying already and I think the adults are teaching them to hunt at the Rice farm. nice chicken breakfast!!! Dam hawks!!! so I am down to 9!! just keep on building I'll get more next spring!! and some meat chickens too!!! you only have to house them for 6-8 weeks....then you get chicken that actually tastes like chicken!!! can't wait

Farmboy
06-28-2010, 08:24 PM
Syracuse is a bit of a trip, but I just might make it to ensure some Canuck representation... although not sure they would vote me to be their spokesperson. there are a few here that would make the trip for ribs, but they are already sick of hearing me talk about maple syrup.... we can get them their own table!

Talk of new equipment making me jealous.

Still cutting wood out at the neighbors farm, saving my maple trees for tapping instead of firewood.

For the experts out there.... how much is an RO likely to cost me or is it worth it for 150 to 200 taps?

The ro will cost more than a 2X6 or even a 2X8. Get a better evaporator one with a flue pan. Then when you get to about 500+ taps go for the ro. Its more economocal that way.

I am working on cleaning out my sugar shack and grading the floor. This summer Im going to pour a cement floor. I shouldnt need any more gravel I just need to grade off whats in there and compact it. Wednesday Im going to my grandpas woodlot and cut firewood. I should be able to cut close to 4 cord of pine thats already seasoned because its several trees that came down a few years ago. Once thats done I should have about 7 to 8 cords thats almost 3 years of wood. :) :) :) :)

3rdgen.maple
06-28-2010, 10:35 PM
Yellzee that would be a long haul for some bbq. Hopefully we can get a date down on the calendar even if Im the only one that shows up lol. Got a suprise visit today from the state troppers at the door. They were warning the families with houses along the Salmon River they are opening the flood gates and to make sure no one was on the water. I guess a group of law enforcement spent the day walking the river and tlling people to get off the water. I drove to the nearest bridge in pineville and it was already over its banks. Never in 37 years have I seen this happen in the summer. I think it was only one day last week we didnt have rain. I had a leak in the koi pond and it drained about 150 to 200 gallons of water out of it before I patched it and when I got home today it was almost full from rain since saturday. I am getting a little worried right about now cause I have to get some wood cut for the house yet and some more for the sugarhouse. Cutting wood in the rain is about the last thing I want to do. We also had tornado warnings all afternoon into the evening but lucky for me It was just high wind and rain. Some towns around me not so lucky.

maple flats
06-29-2010, 05:29 AM
Seems like they would only open the gates to fill the banks, not overflow. I used to salmon and steelhead fish there a long time ago (back a few years before snagging was banned) and I saw the gates opened a few times but never over the banks. It sure did rise quickly when they did open the gates. Fishermen had to pay attention since most of us were wading and full waders are impossible to walk or swim in.

red maples
06-29-2010, 07:41 AM
RO vs bigger Evap??? that is the question!!!

It all comes down to Time Vs electricity Vs wood (if that's your fuel) and initial investment!!!

because you have to process more wood if you don't have the RO. making 600gals of sap disappear with a 2x6 and an RO in 2 hours vs. boiling 600 gals for 8 hours in a 3x8 hmmm ask Russ Lampron how much extra sleep he gets and how much wood he used last year!!!

I think he used just over 2 cords of wood to make 150 gallons of syrup!!!!:o

3rdgen.maple
06-29-2010, 09:44 AM
Red I think you are going crazy. He has 150 to 200 taps on a 2x3. The cost of a RO for this amount of taps is not worth it. If you save some cash and run out and buy a 2x6 with a 4 foot flue pan you are going to run out of sap with just that alone and be wanting more. My vote............upgrade the evaporator. Not a fan of ROs anyways.

Yellzee
06-29-2010, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the advice guys... always looking at farm auctions, etc.. for a bigger evaporator. I really do this just for a hobby, try to sell just enough syrup to pay for the new line, etc. that seems to be needed every year. The rest normally gets handed out to shack visitors, wood helpers and every family event.

Syracuse is a bit of a haul, but amazing how many people make the trip from here to Watertown or Syracuse to shop. (cheap beer)

Spent last night working on a new trailer, got welded up last night to improve the efficiency of hauling wood from way back on the farmers lot, should be able to get about 10 of the loads I get on the 4 wheeler trailer onto this new one to haul behind the tractor. Must be an old delivery truck frame or something as it has huge tires on the thing and will be perfect for dragging thru the field.

only about 18 degrees here today (call that about 65 F?) so I'm thinking good evening to cut trees down if I can escape. Looks like the heat is coming for the weekend.

red maples
06-29-2010, 01:35 PM
Red I think you are going crazy. He has 150 to 200 taps on a 2x3. The cost of a RO for this amount of taps is not worth it. If you save some cash and run out and buy a 2x6 with a 4 foot flue pan you are going to run out of sap with just that alone and be wanting more. My vote............upgrade the evaporator. Not a fan of ROs anyways.

I know I am not saying he should get and ro for 150 taps!!! I am just making the comparison. he should get a 2x6 that will give him enough to expand and if he decided to expand beyond the 3-500 tap range and wants an RO then is the time for the up grade to a bigger evap vs RO. sorry I think I forgot to put that part!!!

Russell Lampron
06-29-2010, 05:31 PM
You don't have to have alot of taps to use an RO. I know a guy that has 35 taps and he uses a modified water processing RO to sweeten his sap before he boils it with a turkey fryer and propane arch with restaurant pan. His user name is Gary in NH.

Another guy on this site used to use GE Merlin RO's to sweeten his sap. His user name is Brent. He has an Airablo RO and more taps now.

I have expanded to over 700 taps and will continue to do so until I run out of trees to tap on my land. I have a 2x6 and 150gph RO and haven't maxed them out yet. The plan is to match or better the 1300 taps that my parents had when I was little. They had a 4x12 evaporator and the 1300 taps were all buckets. Most of mine are tubed with vacuum.

3rdgen.maple
06-29-2010, 11:50 PM
Red I was just picking on you. I understand what you are saying and Russell Im sure it is and can be done regardless of tap count but like said already Im just thinking about the cost of an RO for a small tap count in comparison to the cost of a decent 2x6. I still vote for the larger evaporator and if a person expands from there an RO might find its place in the sugarhouse just not mine lol.

Thompson's Tree Farm
06-30-2010, 05:12 AM
Saw an ad for a AA doodle bug on NH craigslist. Sure hope it wasn't Russ Lamprons.

Jim Brown
06-30-2010, 06:15 AM
I'm with Russ We had 1300 on vac last season wtih our 2x6 and RO and longest boil was 7 hours! Made 23 gallons of syrup in that time.

Jim

Farmboy
06-30-2010, 09:56 AM
Spent 2 hours this morning cutting pine from my grandpas woodlot. It was a great day because it was cool and the bugs werent out. Theres between 2 and 3 cords of pine for the evaporator ans close to a cord of maple that came down in a storm. The maple is going to get sold to help pay for my syrup addiction though. In my grandpas woodlot all the maples are swamp maples so there not worth tapping.

Maplewalnut
06-30-2010, 10:26 AM
. In my grandpas woodlot all the maples are swamp maples so there not worth tapping.

????? why not?

red maples
06-30-2010, 04:04 PM
Spent 2 hours this morning cutting pine from my grandpas woodlot. It was a great day because it was cool and the bugs werent out. Theres between 2 and 3 cords of pine for the evaporator ans close to a cord of maple that came down in a storm. The maple is going to get sold to help pay for my syrup addiction though. In my grandpas woodlot all the maples are swamp maples so there not worth tapping.

I say why not too??? I tap swamp maples!!! thats what I got!!! make great syrup.

Farmboy
06-30-2010, 06:47 PM
Ill have to test the sap from them. My grandpa said they are all water and there would be barely any sugar in them because there in some wet land. There oly 1000' from my sugar shack so I could collect them with my tractor and a tank on a trailer. I would do short tubing runs into barrels. What is the sap sugar content usuly on swamp maples.

sapman
06-30-2010, 07:05 PM
I can tell you my swamp maple sugar content was neck and neck with the sugar maples on the hill across the road. Isolated each line coming in to test them. Granted, sugar content has been poor both seasons I've had so far with these trees.

220 maple
06-30-2010, 07:14 PM
I delivered 91 packages of Maple Candy about two weeks ago, they called this past Saturday and told me they was out, and they only had six bags of coated nuts left. I made candy and coated nuts and delivered Sunday evening. They told me to get ready because the week before and after the fourth is big every year for them. The young ladies that work there are having fun with me because I laughed at the owner when he told me he could sell 1000 packages of sugar candy, when they found out that I was keeping record of every item they sell and that they had sold 480 packages already, they considered it a challenge to move as much candy as possible. I give them free samples to eat, I told the owner I do that because I consider them my associates. When a customer picks up a bag of coated nuts they advise them that they are addictive, an that they can not eat just one and close the bag. So I will be making candy and coating nuts this week. Isn't maple syrup FUN!!!!

Mark 220 Maple

brookledge
06-30-2010, 09:18 PM
The weather was great today for cutting wood. No humidity and temps in the low to mid 70s.
Keith

Russell Lampron
07-01-2010, 05:37 AM
Everybody can breathe easy. The doodlebug on Craigs list isn't mine. Rosebud is not for sale!

Farmboy the reds will usually produce about .5% less sugar than the sugars. They are finicky on gravity though. Most of my taps are reds but I have them all on vacuum and get sap. Close to 20 gallons per tap the last 2 seasons. If you are going to tap them with gravity tubing don't expect to get much.