PDA

View Full Version : 6 by 10 piggy

PATheron
05-30-2010, 09:04 PM
Anyone on here know how much sap a 6 by 10 piggyback holds? Thanks Theron

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
05-30-2010, 09:44 PM
Enough that you need another 5,000 taps. LOL!

PATheron
05-31-2010, 04:21 AM
Brandon- Your probly right. It wont be long and Ill have some more. You guys arent going to believe my sugarhouse. Its going to pack a pretty big punch for as small as it is. Ive got it all tore out inside right now. The way its going to work is the evaperator stack, the back of it, is going to stick out the front of the shed and will have to be boxed in. Then you walk into a new door in the kitchen part of the shed and on the right will be the releaser for the hill and then an R.O. room thats closed in that Im hoping will hold one more R.O. On the left is the evaperator. The evaperator is 10' tall with the piggy. Once you get to the end of the shed on the right the R.O. room has a sliding glass door and you look through the glass and you can see both R.O's enough that you can read all the gages and right to the left of that is the drawoff for the evaperator. So you can stand there and run the evaperator and draw syrup off and your six feet and in visuall cotact of the two R.O.'s. So theoretically I could do everything myself if need be. Then you walk around to the front of the evap will be my filter press and space to fill barrells. Go around the other side of the evaperator and in the old woodshed part is an elevated 650 gallon head tank for the evaperator. Thats about it. All that in 20' by 30'. Like I said its not big but it should be a powerhouse of a sugarshed. Theron

maple flats
05-31-2010, 05:01 AM
One cubic foot is about 7.5 gal. Can you calculate the actual volumn used for sap?

maple flats
05-31-2010, 05:02 AM
Short of that, test it with water.

PATheron
05-31-2010, 05:06 AM
Dave- I can use that number to figure it out then. I still havent brought it home but I have to go over there to start trucking stuff back. Ill measure it when Im over there and then I should be able to figure it out. Thanks Theron

mapleack
05-31-2010, 08:17 AM
Good luck packing it all in there Theron, sounds like you have a good plan! I would think that with all the flues in a piggyback, that it would be tough to measure how sap it'll hold soley based on dimensions. If you think you can, there's 7.38 gal per cubic foot.

PATheron
05-31-2010, 10:25 AM
I just want to get a rough idea. Im not going to have R.O. enough yet to just turn them on and match the evaperator so Im going to have to run a couple hours ahead into the headtank and then start it up. Im kind of figuring the capacity of the Piggy as part of my head tank becouse I will run it dry each time and concentrate into it when starting. Im thinking it will hold around 300 gallons. Theron

maplecrest
05-31-2010, 10:58 AM
t. when i ran my 6x14 with steamaway with 2 con tanks. a 1000 header tank and a 400 con tank. would start with 400 by the time i would switch tanks i would be drawing off. then be r/oing into 1000 and boil until the evap was ahead of sap. stop boiling and keep consentrating until i have enough to boil again. you will only have 2 maybe 3 hour boils. by the time you need to change press you will be out of sap.now with the 5x13 i have a 800 and a 1000. with the 800 running into the 1000.so i do not have to deal with switching tanks while boiling. i will say 1800 gals of 15% con is a long boil, and i have to shut down and change pans. and ro is still runnning.that would be a 3 hour boil for you with that 6x16 rig

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
05-31-2010, 09:09 PM
Theron,

Sounds like a good plan as you always have a very thought out plan. Better update that signature since everything is changing fast @ Pierce & Sons!!!

802maple
06-01-2010, 06:55 AM
Theron a close but but not exact way of figuring out how much sap is in your piggly-wiggly is multipling 6 x 10 x .66 for the depth of your flues and adding a inch of sap over them x .50 for the amount of flues that displace the sap x 7.38 gallons per cubic foot, This formula will be slightly on the high side but but will be in the ball park.

Rhino
06-02-2010, 06:52 AM
Our 5X7 "piggy" (even though thats not the brand we have) holds around 80 gal. We run it with the sap 3/4 ways up the raised flues so it splashes up on the rest of the exposed metal. 300 gal. for your size rig seems a little on the high side, but that depends on if you have the flues completely covered also. I would guess it would hold around double ours 160 gal. but that is just a guess. Let us know when you find out.

802maple
06-02-2010, 07:14 AM
Rhino, using my above formula, it says that you should be in the range of 85 gallons plus or minus, so i would say it is fair enough to say that Therons piggly wiggly will be around 140 to 150 gallons.