PDA

View Full Version : Tap closure observation.

heus
05-24-2010, 08:14 PM
I have noticed that my trees that gave the most sap are also the ones that are healing faster. A couple of my trees that gave much more sap than the others are almost closed already. This was with 5/16 spiles. Ones that did not give much sap haven't even begun to heal. I guess the amount of sap give must sometimes depend on the health of the tree?

maple flats
05-25-2010, 04:49 AM
Makes sense. I'll have to check some of my closures. I don't know which are best because everything is tubing, but I do know which sections are best.

forester1
05-25-2010, 09:54 AM
The trees that close the fastest are the trees that are growing the fastest. Check out the crowns. The trees with the larger crowns and more growing room are growng faster than the trees with skinny crowns getting squeezed out by the adjacent trees.

Dennis H.
05-25-2010, 02:33 PM
Heus I was out 2 days ago and noticed the sam thing. Some of my trees are almost completely closed while others are just starting to show signs of growth.

There is one tree that I looked at and the funny thing is this years hole is almost closed while last years hole is still half way closed.

red maples
05-25-2010, 07:31 PM
everything was closed from last year I thought I had a few that didn't close but the bark was so thick I couldn't see that it was closed up about a 1/2 inch deep.

but most of my holes are more than 1/2 closed if not already closed. I think it was beacuse of the early season at least for me anyway. and we have had alot of rain and the permafrost was gone pretty early with all that rain warming the ground. But everything is making sugar now baby!!!!

Looking forward to that bumper crop next season!!!!

DrTimPerkins
05-30-2010, 09:11 PM
I have noticed that my trees that gave the most sap are also the ones that are healing faster. A couple of my trees that gave much more sap than the others are almost closed already. This was with 5/16 spiles. Ones that did not give much sap haven't even begun to heal. I guess the amount of sap give must sometimes depend on the health of the tree?

Growth rate is reasonably well correlated with sugar production. So trees that are growing better producer more and sweeter sap. This is why crown release or thinning will improve yield.

heus
05-30-2010, 09:34 PM
Thanks Dr. Tim. I didnt know about the sugar content correlation. Do you think it would be worth my time to mark the trees that are closing faster and assume they have the highest sugar content ( I dont have a refractometer)?

ADKMAPLE
05-31-2010, 07:52 AM
Yeah, I am starting on crown release this summer. I ahve alot of it to do that is for sure!

DrTimPerkins
05-31-2010, 08:41 AM
Thanks Dr. Tim. I didnt know about the sugar content correlation. Do you think it would be worth my time to mark the trees that are closing faster and assume they have the highest sugar content ( I dont have a refractometer)?

Please note I didn't say sugar content of sap. I said sugar production, which includes either sap production and sugar content. Some things change change one, some change the other, some change both.

It is easy to measure sap sugar content with a refractometer. Find one you can borrow if you have to and do all your testing of sap sugar content with that. You need to do all the measurements in the same area in a pretty short time period anyhow, so it shouldn't take too long.

Haynes Forest Products
05-31-2010, 09:38 AM
can you use the same refractometers that they use for honey? If so They have them on Ebay under bee keeping for $14.95:)