PDA

View Full Version : Not many Evaps

ADKMAPLE
05-24-2010, 07:07 PM
For sale out there? I was really hoping for more of a selection this time of the year... maybe folks are just holding on to their current rigs since the year was predominatly bad and the general economy.

thenewguy
05-24-2010, 08:36 PM
i bought new, i looked all over for good used but they just aren't out there... at least i know what I have got in the end....

forester1
05-25-2010, 09:55 AM
One thing I noticed is that used prices are more than new prices just a few years ago.

ringer
05-25-2010, 10:07 AM
Just got. A new 20x66 from Bascoms, they have some used ones which I think are overpriced for a little more you can get new.

red maples
05-25-2010, 11:12 AM
I think I gotta good deal on mine..used from on here. It better if you can find a used one on here rather than bascom's if your lucky enough that is. Just post what you need...want...and some folks will contact you. I didn't even post what I needed I just asked how what size wood for a 2x6 beacuse that was the size I was considering on buying and boom now I have one

adk1
05-25-2010, 11:39 AM
yEAH, I agree and I am 90% sure I will simply buy new, but, everyone seems to say that they are gonna be gettign an evap and then in the future as their needs grow they would sell and buy another bigger one..But I jsut dont see it. wonder if those folks are buying other things instead like RO's

Dennis H.
05-25-2010, 02:27 PM
I kept my eye on the classifieds here for awhile now and just didn't anything either. So I went with new from the Maple Guys. I had to be sure that I was going to have an evap and had to have a time line to get things lined up so it wouldn't be Dec and I am trying to put in the evap and also getting everthing else ready to go.

heus
05-25-2010, 03:00 PM
ADK,
Probably too late to order one from Patrick Phaneuf but other than the shipping issue I would recommend his work. Ordered mine in March last year, finally got it in early december.

3rdgen.maple
05-27-2010, 09:33 PM
Well here is a possibility for you guys searching for an evaporator. I seen it today in our swap sheet.
2x8 wood fired 4 foot ss welded drop flue 4 foot ss syrup pan copper preheater 2 leader steam hoods firebrick 3 draft blowers 6 cords of firewood 48 gph all yours for 3000 bucks.
Okay so why would anyone waste a 2x8 by putting a 4 foot flue pan on it with a 4 foot syrup pan in beyond me. Mine as well bought a 2x6 with all those bells and whistles on it and got the same or better gph and saved some coin but heck there it is gents. It is located in Hannibal NY if any one interested pm me and I ll pass along the guys phone number. No idea who he is but sounds like a good price if its in good shape.

stoweski
05-28-2010, 05:36 AM
Kept my eyes on Vt Agriview & craigslist - as well as the trader. Last year's evap I found on Agriview and this year's was listed on craigslist (a fellow trader too).

As I was looking I noticed several starting to pop up late summer/fall. If you're not in a hurry give it some time and wait until then.

adk1
05-28-2010, 08:25 AM
No, I am definatly not in a hurry, wont even tap this coming march, plan on the following season.

findandy
05-28-2010, 09:22 PM
I say that in jest. I have and still am trying to sell on this site. When you have good clean working equipment you can't give it away. The price of new will scare anyone, if you can get it by next spring. I believe a lot of us smaller operators have to except that our maple production is a disease. If you have 1000 or less taps its pretty hard to except the rate of pay back. The next purchase I'm working on will take the next 6 years income to pay for. I should become more efficient and should not have to worry about equipment failure. The big plus is the bonding with my son. Don

ADKMAPLE
05-29-2010, 07:10 AM
The last thing I am concerned about is turning a profit at any point. I jsut want to do this as a hobby, provide my family and friends with some syrup and give my family something to do in a time of the year where there isnt much to do!

ADKMAPLE
05-29-2010, 07:14 AM
yup, I am hoping that someone on this site will want to upgrade from a 2x4 to a 2x6! WF Mason I hope..But, I must admit, that Bills prices are very reasonable. Since I dont expect to ever turn a profit or even break even I cant justify buying a 2x6 or anything that is greater than one months mortgage payment!

TRAILGUY
05-29-2010, 08:13 AM
looking for a 2X8 or 30"X8 if I find one will have a 2X6 for sale for $1350 complete ready to use does low 20 gallons per hour SS

Killington Maple
05-30-2010, 05:47 AM
Hey Trailguy,
I was at Leader's Rutland store the other day and they have a new 2x8 with airtight arch and max pans on display. It's not spoken for, yet. Price is just under 10K. Nice Rig as it also has the revolution front pan!

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
05-30-2010, 02:51 PM
2x8 with a 4' syrup pan and a 4' flue pan is still ahead of a 2x6 in terms of efficiency.

3rdgen.maple
05-30-2010, 10:27 PM
Not when he is claiming 48 gph with a copper preheater and hoods to boot it aint. Atleast not that particular one. But like I said in my last post it will never make any sense to me why you would order a 4 foot flue pan on a 8 foot rig. Kinda defeating the purpose of getting an 8 footer. A good new effecient 2x6 bare bones is not far off from that 48 gph number and if you added the bells he has to it your gonna exceed that number.

Randy Brutkoski
05-31-2010, 01:37 PM
It would maybe have more syrup pouring off at a time but I would think that it would probably make darker syrup. Thats just what I would think. I might be wrong. But if you have a 4 ft. syrup pan wouldnt you want at least a 6 ft. flue pan? It only makes sense right?