PDA

View Full Version : Syrup in the flue pan?

J. R. Dodge
03-30-2005, 01:22 PM
This is my first year with a dropflue.I'm getting concerned about how dark it's been getting in the flue pan.I've been running at about a 1 1/2'',and drawing off at, or just below syrup.Is there any sure way to tell if I'm getting into trouble back there?
Thanks,
Jim

Dropflue
03-30-2005, 01:39 PM
As long as fresh sap is entering your float box, your ok. The sap in my flue pan has a nice amber color to it. The sap keeps getting concentrated in the flue pan as the season goes on. You will be drawing off syrup faster since things are not as diluted as they were when you first started sugaring the pans.

Dropflue,
Gas Fired 2x6 D&G Dropflue

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-30-2005, 04:48 PM
The higher the bacteria count of the sap, the sooner it will get darker in the flue pan. :?

brookledge
03-30-2005, 08:41 PM
As the season goes on and you start making darker syrup the sap in the flue pan will also begin to darken. If you have any concerns about syrup in the flue pan take a thermometer and check the temp if it is way above the boiling point of water then you should be concerned. But I don't think you have any problem at all just darker sap and syrup. In the beginning of the season the sap coming out of my flue pan hardly looks any different than plain sap but now that I'm making grade B my sap in the flue looks like med A syrup.
Keith

J. R. Dodge
04-01-2005, 06:16 AM
Gentlemen,
Thank you for your help.
Jim